1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26/27" LCD - What's my choice??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by danpier, Jun 13, 2005.

1. danpier

danpier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have recently decided that it's high time my cheapo 20" CRT was given the boot and replaced with a sleek LCD screen.

I've only just started looking, but am already overwhelmed with the choice and specs and basically, I'm after a bit of help. I don't want to have to part with any limbs in order to afford the TV but I also don't want to scrimp and regret my choice later on.

The TV will be in my lounge (possibly wall mounted) and will mainly be used for DVD, Media Center and occasionally, normal terrestrial TV (ve not opted for cable or sat reception as I'm not a great TV fan).

I've seen the Sharp LC26GA5E for around £600 and from what I've read think it's quite a good TV. Has anyone any experiences of these TV's or can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. omnione

omnione
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Danpier,
    After having a nightmare experience with a Philips 23 inch wi-fi set or should I say sets I bought one of these (LG26GA5E) from Richer Sounds (£649.95) It's early days yet and I am still experimenting with the various picture settings but first impressions are that the picture quality and tuner sensitivity is not on a par with the Phillips sets that I returned. The picture can be very hard with a tendency to produce plastiky skin tones despite reducing sharpness and contrast settings, (but it is 3inches bigger and £150 cheaper than the Philips so it's not really fair to compare to closely.)

Some of the problem may be me though, I have a plasma for my main set (this one was bought for the bedroom) and the pictures produced by the two different technologies are like chalk and cheese, I personally prefer plasma pictures any day but the smallest plasma's are 32" (too big for the bedroom) and there's no way you could hang a 26" crt off a bedroom bay window frame.

It's not all bad, after another picture tinkering session watching Crimson Tide the other evening (on it's own tuner) was very enjoyable with good detail in the the darker scenes

My overall feelings are to get the best out of it fine tuning the picture settings is needed and it is very sensitive to the differing qualities of broadcast material.

Would I buy it again yes I think I would. It is a lot of tv for not a lot of money. Hope this helps.

3. dvd.collector

dvd.collector
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have this TV, after recently returning my Sonix 26in set.

I have to say that I find the PQ on the Sharp fantastic in comparision to the Sonix. (Sky RGB source)

Sound is also pretty good, with good bass for such small speakers.

I paid £560 for it tho from here , but the price seems to have gone up now??

4. omnione

omnione
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update I have now managed to get the set up right and the picture quality is much improved. As dvd collector has said the sound quality is good for such tiny speakers and I now have no complaints about the tv.

I was a little concerned about the lack of a digital tuner but after reading about what happened to all the Panasonic dvt tv owners over the bank holiday weekend with the latest software upgrade from freeview I will wait until this system is well and truly sorted before I buy and pay extra for a set with it included.(Digi box's are very cheap nowadays anyway.)