1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

25mm back box - is this enough depth for tv/speaker plates?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by loungefly, May 13, 2005.

1. loungefly

loungefly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have asked for additional extras in the building of my new house - that they dont normally do.

+ I want the speaker cables in the wall with speaker wall plates.

+ I also want the sky+ cables to be put at a wall plate, so having the cable go from lounge to the loft and then out to the satilitte, so not coming thru the lounge wall, as well as a cable going back up to the loft to feed the amp and the other tvs.

+ Cat 5 cables and the appropiate wall plates for networking around the house.

Today I was shown around the house before any of the cabling has been laid so I can say where I want the wall plates to go in the house.

They had fitted some of the back boxes for the the mains and and standard aerials and they looked very narrow- when I enquired about the back box I was told that the depth was about 25mm as the walls are dot and dab (or something like that). When I have been looking at the wall plates, especially for the sky+/aerial plates it seems that the deeper the back box the better, something like 47mm would be a struggle.

Does anyone have any advice on whether the depth of the box box would be an issue for the requirements above? Should I forget about having the front plates flush with the wall and just get the deeper back boxes?

any help would be appreciated!

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, it might be ok for some cables/ends - for others it will be a real challenge. The best way of checking is probably to experiment - get a 25mm box & face plate & see if you can do the connection with the cable coming out in line with where it really will in the wall. A few others thoughts come to mind from my experience, but these should all be taken as starters for 10, not definative assertions that it will be possible :-

• The biggest issue can be getting the excess back in the box after you have made the connection. If the routing is very tight (i.e. hard to push cable though or can't be pulled gently from the other end) then you may not get the faceplate back on even if it would theoretically fit
    • Avoid flat fittings - they take a few more mm depth that is normally given by the thickness of the faceplate
    • For satellite cables and terrestrial arial cables you should be fine with 25 mm boxes
    • For Cat5 I would experiment - they are often a little deeper, but it might work (inc. maybe needing to pick specific ranges of socket). I'd be surprised if you can't find one that works though
    • For speaker sockets you should be OK if the speaker cable will push back (see above). This limits the size of cable a bit, but I managed to route 6x Cat5 cables onto four sockets (for bi-wired speakers) with 32mm deep boxes - not saying it was easy, and that was having designed the routing of the cable to make it possible at all - but with thinner cable it should be possible
    • Video patch plates can be much harder as they can have significant depth behind the plate (or require complex attaching directly to the cable). Gets worse if you have several cables. I chose to have a cable bundle dangling out of the wall here (invisible behind the telly) as I wanted lots of reserves for future use/breaks etc.
    • MIght be worth putting in blank boxes with trunking attched to go to the loft if space allows. Lets you realise what you should have put cables in for later. However, with what you describe this could be a pille hard

Cheers

Greg

3. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would imagine that it all depends on how much clearance the face plates require at the back. I have a 25mm backing plate for my AV cable exit point behind the plasma TV (below), but I also have 16mm boxes around the room for flush mounted speaker plates which fitted fine (I can take a photo of these if you want to see how they look).

[​IMG]