256Mb CF card - £57 with free shipping!

I have a 32mb CF card that I will sell you and you can have free shipping :D

Fantastic stuff steve :D

This reminds me of th4 the first PC I used. It was an IBM Valuepoint 386 with a huge 120MB Hard Disk and a fully loaded 16MB of RAM - a snip at £3200 :eek:

How quickly times change.

Blimey, it's fun looking through old posts (bushy beard time!), especially when pictures were uploaded onto the AVF server. Some of my old linked images have gone away now :(

Memory Lane,

Dragon 32, revolutionised home computing, no hard drive, had to save everything to a floppy, plugged into a TV, write your own programmes.
Or am I the only one old enough to remember them. Lol

Memory Lane,

Dragon 32, revolutionised home computing, no hard drive, had to save everything to a floppy, plugged into a TV, write your own programmes.
Or am I the only one old enough to remember them. Lol

Dragon32 - that's advanced. How about the good old BBC Micro?

It amazes me to think that the computers I use in work (IBM Z9's) have the capacity for up to 16 exabytes or RAM. (Exabyte is a 1 with 16 noughts after it).
We'll never fill them with that much memory though... 16 exabytes at todays prices would cost $27 trillion.
You could just about buy the United States with that much money!

We had a Vic 20 - 3.5k of pure Random Access Memory. Trouble is we didn't have the Commodore tape player, so my brother and I would spend hours typing out game code from C&VG, only to have to turn it off at the end of the day and lose the lot.

Why did 'Seany' get banned?

Floppys?

Try tape cassettes. (licking road clean wi' tounge):smashin:

Licking road clean wi` tongue, you were lucky lad, we were poor buggers that had to sweep the road clean first with our nose hairs, still attached to the nose,

My mate had a sinclair (Z8 i think) with the soft blue keys and had a seperate 6" monitor, we spent the whole of one weekend programming from a book that was bigger than the computer and after about 24 hours work we managed to draw an outline of a face on it, boy we thought we were techno wizzkids then.
And its been all down hill ever since:laugh:

Licking road clean wi` tongue, you were lucky lad, we were poor buggers that had to sweep the road clean first with our nose hairs, still attached to the nose,

My mate had a sinclair (Z8 i think) with the soft blue keys and had a seperate 6" monitor, we spent the whole of one weekend programming from a book that was bigger than the computer and after about 24 hours work we managed to draw an outline of a face on it, boy we thought we were techno wizzkids then.

Ah yes the ZX Spectrum 48 with rubber keys... the only computer that "bounced" when you dropped it ;)
Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Crash magazine... those were the days!

Ooh, we used t'dream of livin' in a cardboard box.

If you upgraded the atom to 8k you had to build a bigger PSU - such was the power drain.

Aye and you try tellin' the kids of today that!

Ah yes the ZX Spectrum 48 with rubber keys... the only computer that "bounced" when you dropped it ;)
Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Crash magazine... those were the days!

I had the printer for my spectrum - I rememebr waiting hours to print out my first digital images onto sliver plated loo roll while making my bedroom smell like a checmical warfare lab. It was years before we got a 'photo quality' images from our Amiga tied to a 24 pin dot matrix :smashin:

Ooh, we used t'dream of livin' in a cardboard box.

If you upgraded the atom to 8k you had to build a bigger PSU - such was the power drain.

Aye and you try tellin' the kids of today that!

Cardboard box!!, you were lucky and must have lived in the posh part of town, we lived in shoe box in gutter and dreamt of saving up to buy a lid for it
and when it got cold, dad sucked an extra strong mint and we all warmed our hands on his tongue:rolleyes:

Cardboard box!!, you were lucky and must have lived in the posh part of town, we lived in shoe box in gutter and dreamt of saving up to buy a lid for it
and when it got cold, dad sucked an extra strong mint and we all warmed our hands on his tongue:rolleyes:

Right then,
We used to get up i'mornin, before it were time t'go t'bed. Work 27hrs down pit and pay owner f'the privilige.

And when we'd get back home our dad would beat us t'death wi' a stick and jump up and down on our graves singing Allelulia.

:offtopic: sorry Steve!

My first computer was a Dragon32 - upper-case text only if I remember rightly. Then I had a Commodore Vic-20. After that I had a couple of rubber-keyboard 48K Spectrums, a ZX Printer and two ZX Micro-drives - I still have it all in a box in my spare room somewhere. Must dig it out one day and see if the Spectrums still boot-up!

I also had a subscription to 'Crash!' magazine... quite an ironic name for a magazine about a computer that would quite often crash after waiting 5 long minutes for a game to load. :D

Right then,
We used to get up i'mornin, before it were time t'go t'bed. Work 27hrs down pit and pay owner f'the privilige.

And when we'd get back home our dad would beat us t'death wi' a stick and jump up and down on our graves singing Allelulia.

:offtopic: sorry Steve!

You dont know lucky you were, we used to get the same treatment as a special treat for being good:cool:

:laugh: Those threads should be an inspiration to anyone starting out in photography :D
I missed old Seany when he left. He helped me out a lot when I first got a digital camera. I often wonder how him and Diane are doing nowadays.

Memory lane.

:rotfl:

Acorn Atom with 2kb ram?:cool:

That was my first as well. Upgraded it to 8kb and maxed out my PSU. I remember spending hours typing in programs and then sitting with clenched teeth as it backed it up to a standard tape recorder.

I bought my first digital camera - an Olympus D320L in 97 in New York. It was one of the first 'mega-pixel' models (1024 x 768). Most were still 640 x 480 (or less!). I don't even want to think about what the camera cost but the largest available SmartMedia memory cards were 2Mb and cost $50 each. Being without any means of transferring images, I deleted and reshot anything remotely dodgy, took shots I considered less important at lower resolution to save space and still ended up buying 4 of them before I left NY :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom