250gb Vestel 845 clone refurb £43 delivered!

Robbie F

Sorry if this has been put on here before but .....
A 250GB Vistel 845 clone refurbished £38-81 plus standard delivery of £3-50 = Total £42-31 at Dabs (here: dabs.com - Best Value TU250DTR 250GB PVR (TU250DTR) ) :smashin:
I know they are "refurb's" or "warranty-repaired" but that's CHEAP! I mean, a new 250GB hard drive on it's own is £30 + !
After my 825 clone decided to give up the ghost, I read a few reviews & thought I'd give one a punt! :cool:
It arrived the next day (though site says to allow 3 - 5 days), in "as new" condition (even shrink-wrapped) and boxed; the model I received was a Bush BTU250HDR. :thumbsup:
That's cheaper than auction sites! :eek:
So for anyone looking for a CHEAP twin-tuner PVR with a decent hard drive and two scarts to boot, they're just the ticket! Makes waiting for Freeview HD to arrive and come down in price a bit a little more worthwhile. :smashin:
Cons: The HD is permanently on, so a little noisy (constant "buzz"); takes a little bit of setting-up to remove the Top-Up TV listings & channels if you don't want 'em; programme guide not the best.
Pro's: Freeview+ .... so series recording if you want it; big hard drive for your cash; cheap! :thumbsup:
I also noticed that Top-Up TV's website has Thomson refurbished for sale; 160GB £40 an 250GB £50 BUT you have to buy a "pack" and pay for connection too, making them not-so-cheap! :mad::mad:

Geofbob

Novice Member
There have been problems reported re PVRs with TUTV software - so it'll be interesting to hear how you get on in the longer term. But certainly at the Dabs price, for anyone needing a PVR, it might be worth taking the risk.

Robbie F

Ha ha yes, a "typo"! :rotfl:
For anyone (like me) waiting for full-hd I thought that this was a good short-term solution for a freeview pvr that won't break the bank. ;)
Keep it a year and THEN upgrade to full HD via freeview and it hasn't cost a fortune. :smashin:

Geofbob

Novice Member
:D
Ha ha yes, a "typo"! :rotfl:
For anyone (like me) waiting for full-hd I thought that this was a good short-term solution for a freeview pvr that won't break the bank. ;)
Keep it a year and THEN upgrade to full HD via freeview and it hasn't cost a fortune. :smashin:
Absolutely, Robbie - couldn't agree more - as long as it lasts a year (or even 6 or 9 months) it will probably have been worth it. But, as previously posted, some TUTV PVRs do seem to have developed glitches after a disappointingly short period.

PS BTW, on the topic of typos, unless the "beings" in your signature are birds, that should be "foul" not "fowl".:D

Last edited:

JTQfan

Standard Member
Sorry if this has been put on here before but .....
A 250GB Vistel 845 clone refurbished £38-81 plus standard delivery of £3-50 = Total £42-31 at Dabs (here: dabs.com - Best Value TU250DTR 250GB PVR (TU250DTR) ) :smashin:
I know they are "refurb's" or "warranty-repaired" but that's CHEAP! I mean, a new 250GB hard drive on it's own is £30 + !
After my 825 clone decided to give up the ghost, I read a few reviews & thought I'd give one a punt! :cool:
It arrived the next day (though site says to allow 3 - 5 days), in "as new" condition (even shrink-wrapped) and boxed; the model I received was a Bush BTU250HDR. :thumbsup:
That's cheaper than auction sites! :eek:
So for anyone looking for a CHEAP twin-tuner PVR with a decent hard drive and two scarts to boot, they're just the ticket! Makes waiting for Freeview HD to arrive and come down in price a bit a little more worthwhile. :smashin:
Cons: The HD is permanently on, so a little noisy (constant "buzz"); takes a little bit of setting-up to remove the Top-Up TV listings & channels if you don't want 'em; programme guide not the best.
Pro's: Freeview+ .... so series recording if you want it; big hard drive for your cash; cheap! :thumbsup:
I also noticed that Top-Up TV's website has Thomson refurbished for sale; 160GB £40 an 250GB £50 BUT you have to buy a "pack" and pay for connection too, making them not-so-cheap! :mad::mad:
Ordered Thursday delivered Friday. Working fine, clean machine. I'm hoping that because this is a warranty return it will have had a little extra tlc from a techie to get it back in working order. Time will tell.
:clap:

creddish

Novice Member
I think the reason these refurbished TUTV PVRs are cheap is because a large number of them have been returned because their purchasers are dissatisfied with them. I suggest you read the threads in the TUTV forum here before purchase.

Colin

JTQfan

Standard Member
I think the reason these refurbished TUTV PVRs are cheap is because a large number of them have been returned because their purchasers are dissatisfied with them. I suggest you read the threads in the TUTV forum here before purchase.

Colin
Great, just as you say that live pause stops working, grrrrrrr

creddish

Novice Member
Great, just as you say that live pause stops working, grrrrrrr
You may be able to correct that. There is a setting in the Setup menus to enable different durations for the Live TV buffer or disable it completely. Check this is not set to zero duration.

Colin

JTQfan

Standard Member
You may be able to correct that. There is a setting in the Setup menus to enable different durations for the Live TV buffer or disable it completely. Check this is not set to zero duration.

Colin
Hi Colin,
Fortunately my HD was empty so I just re-formatted. Working now but for how long. I guess I only need it to be the workhorse of the household until Freeview HD arrives.
Roy

creddish

Novice Member
Hi Colin,
Fortunately my HD was empty so I just re-formatted. Working now but for how long. I guess I only need it to be the workhorse of the household until Freeview HD arrives.
Roy
I wish you luck. Problem is they are not always a willing workhorse. If you have any important recordings scheduled using Series Record it's worth checking after each recording that the next episode is shown in the Planned Recordings screen. These unit are prone to randomly failing to schedule the next episode and the Series is broken.

Colin

lhatkins

Novice Member
Clicking on the Dabs link now takes you to what looks like a Wharfedale box, has s front display, (tick), so has anyone else got one? Its £51 plus del now, any good? Or better to go with the Hitachi HDR163? (Ebay for £49+Del).

creddish

Novice Member
Clicking on the Dabs link now takes you to what looks like a Wharfedale box, has s front display, (tick), so has anyone else got one? Its £51 plus del now, any good? Or better to go with the Hitachi HDR163? (Ebay for £49+Del).
It depends on which Wharfedale PVR it is. The Wharfedale brand has been used for several different Vestel PVRs with the "normal" Vestel/Cabot software and also versions with the Top UP TV software. Beware the latter. The Hitachi HDR163 is a fairly recent Vestel with the "normal" software but as it's on ebay you ideally need to know it's history and why it's on ebay.

Colin

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom