1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

25" to 35" lcd for pc games dvd and tv ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by weebroonieuk, Oct 30, 2004.

1. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as the title suggests im looking for an lcd that will do well for tv and dvd and be able to display my playstation sharply
    quick response time is a must i dont want any ghosting dureing fast movies or games
    hdtv
    be able to take dvi from my pc
    and any other features u might suggest
    im more than happy to have a smaller screen for better features and quality than settle for a bit less to have more screen size

would an lcd be suitable for me or should i think plasma

the reason i ask in the lcd section is i think it seems the better technology and seems to be the future , but you guys are the experts and im open to suggestion :)

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on how much you have to spend. Whats your budget?

3. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would say 2 grand but for the right features and screen i could possible go more but if i was spending more than 2 G i would like a little more screen real estate to help justify it if possible but not essential

4. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive seen a nice looking phillips screen at ebuyer for 1240 incudeing vat it has a wxga res (1280x768)
    dvi input
    pc in
    hdtv ready
    will that res let me watch the highest res hdtv pictures and is there other good screens around the 30inch mark the tv i have already a 25 or 26 inch 4x3 panasonic but its shwoing its age and small text in games is blurry and so is my telewest digitial tv guide quite blurry

if u can hit me with suggestions to look at i would be gratefull
    want high res fast response and bright pictures with realy good contrast , am i asking too much for my price range ?

5. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any more sets you guys can suggest i look at ?
    fast response time good connectivity progressive scan , dvi etc
    and must have good quality visuals

6. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, considering you want to connect it to a computer, I'd rule out plasma, as there’s a good chance of screen burn. HDTV plasma panels are also very expensive.

From around £1000 to £2000, you can get 32" displays. Over £2k, you can start looking at very high end 32" and 37"+.

I'm looking for a 32" LCD myself, and both the Toshiba 32WL48 & Sharp LC-32GA3E/4E look like great screens (and have had great reviews). They both cost around £1300, and have pretty good specs.

The Toshiba has an 8ms response time (one of the fastest around), which should be more than good enough for watching movies, and playing games. It is HDTV compatible and has a native resolution of 1366x768 (good enough for 720p). It doesn't have a DVI in, but it does have a HDMI port (you can get DVI to HDMI cables).

The only high definition LCD that will display true 1080i (that I know of), is the 45" Sharp, which was around £6k last time I looked.

There are a few other good 32"'s you could look at, from Philips and Sony, although I don't know much about them.

Yea you will be able to view the highest res HDTV, but it won't be displayed at the full resolution. You'd need a 1920x1080 res screen, which are very rare (and expensive). I imagine it will be a couple of years before they come down to a reasonable price.

I hope this helps,

Skiny

7. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    will you be using this lcd lots with a pc? if not tosh. Else maybe look at samsung.
    Tosh has a the analogue input not dvi but i only use my shuttle on the rare occsaion check this or that maybe play a video from it. Of course DVi is the best option but i use my lcd as a tv so had to sacrifice having dvi and cost of having this. Else I would have to pay over £1500 for what i would want with all the inputs and a great screen.

8. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alfie786, the Tosh 32WL48 *has* DVI - through its HDMI socket. If you have a DVI to HDMI cable you should be able to get a digital signal into the panel (though at present nobody has confirmed that a PC input will work). Are you in a position to try it for us?

Cheers

9. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it will mostly be displaying from tv with some ps2 playing aswell so the tosh sounds good for games :) and if it can take dvi and have component inputs and scart etc then im a happy camper aslong as the picute quality , but knowing tosh they usually are good

i dont really want bigger than 32 inch because the tv is right next to my bed and i watch from my bed like sitting against the opposite wall from the tv as i stil stay at home but want to have a good tv for when i get my own house !

so its lookin like the tosh at the moment what do you guys reckon of its picture quality and can anyone confirm that 8ms response thats seriously quick for that resolution !

10. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have to say, i don't know if u picked up that the TOSH does not have DVI only normal vga connector!

What I can say its awesome for games!!! WICKED! lol :D I am playing Halo part Deux at this mo no blurring or anything!! Thats with SVIDEO connection, i am then gona try other cabling but its brill with svideo. Will also try ps2 but i know its gona be fine as my xbox playing without no issues at all. I think the screen display is brill ill try and get a pic up. please read the post for got my tosh sumthin sumthin.

Attached Files:

11. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    alfie786 whats it like playing halo deux :laugh: on the toshiba, does it suffer when you get to dark areas in the game?

I am tempted to get an LCD for the XBox but am worried due to lack of detail in dark scenes.

12. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought we were gettin closer to resloveing the display issues vei hdmi to dvi cables :(

it ddes look good playin that game tho , whats small text like in games
    thats one of the reasons im giving up on my current screen as small text in games or on the digiguide thing are terrible now

13. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alfie786 i have this screen on order. Is there any chance you could post a few more screens playing halo?

Cheers.

14. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    weebroonieuk - Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread? ;)

Would be very interested to hear what the quality is like via the VGA input (or indeed using a DVI to HDMI cable) for PC use?

Mainly looking for a very large PC monitor replacement for surfing the web, watching downloaded HDTV episodes and some XBOX use.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

Cheekster.