25 percent price increase on second subscription!!!

F

Family Guy

Had a lovely letter from Sky this morning telling me that the price of my second subscription would be going up by £3 from October - but because I took up the offer early, my increase would be waived. Very nice of them - means I have a 50 percent increase to look forward to next year.

Looks like we'll be a one box family again in March the - robbing gets!

Typical Sky, Get the punters in, then jack up the price.

They have done it once, and they have done it again.

I got the same letter, guess i was thankful that i didnt have to fork out the extra £3 - but where on earth do sky get off by increasing the price by 25%? Are there any sky executives who read this forum that could perhaps justify an increase almost 10 times the rate of inflation?

Originally posted by Steve_e42
Are there any sky executives who read this forum that could perhaps justify an increase almost 10 times the rate of inflation?

Wish I was a SKY exec:)

Programming costs do not increase in line with inflation, neither do wages or local business and property taxes.
I am not defending SKY, the £12 sub is a disgrace considering the programing supplied has already been paid for and the cost of a second smartcard is at most £10 so that means the remaining £110 for the first year is pure profit.

At least with NTL they supply the STB when you have a second subscription.

Well if you can do without the pay channels get a BBC card on box 2 - can you swap the cards between the boxes?

Hi

The encryption system used by Sky is called Videoguard. A crucial part of this system is that each card is married to the box it is used in.

So, no, you can't move the cards between the boxes.

Regards
Andrew

Originally posted by ajb
Hi

The encryption system used by Sky is called Videoguard. A crucial part of this system is that each card is married to the box it is used in.

So, no, you can't move the cards between the boxes.

Regards
Andrew

In practice though a smartcard that has no premium content (movies/sport) can be used in a digibox it was previously authorised for. However the BBC channels and ITV2 will still be blocked, for some reason SKY allow this and I would assume it's a deliberate policy and not a weakness in the encryption.

If you ring $ky they are able to enable cards that have been swapped between 2 boxes.

I have done so (for the reason that box office events, such as F1 TV, are only enabled on one of the 2 cards not both).

I think Sky's pricing policy is disgustingly expensive! (Personal oppinion).
And to be honest I don't understand it - surely if they reduced the subscription cost they would get higher viewing figures and could thus charge more for advertising - surely it is better to have more viewers! :confused: :rolleyes: :mad:

I'm absoloutely seething that to watch 2 different sky channels on 2 different TV's I require another digibox and subscription.

At the moment I can watch any terestrial channel on any TV in my house, seeing as terestrial is being phased out in the future why should I be forced to pay in the future to have a subscription for each TV I have.

This really rankles with me surely they can check that each card they send is being used at the same address or something why penalise people for having a family who all wish to watch a different channel.

Bl@@dy swearword! :mad:

To be fair to sky I think you are missing the point somewhat and not comparing like with like.

At the moment I can watch any terestrial channel on any TV in my house

In order to do this you had to buy additional equipment. In this case a TV with built in receiver and the channels you watch are free (if you leave out the licence fee) in the case of sky you can still purchase additional equipment (a receiver and multi LNB) and you can still watch channels for free.

Surely you've heard of Freeview. This is non-subscription and will replace terrestrial analogue TV. Yes you will need to buy additional equipment untill all teles have a digital tuner built in but you'll get a lot more channels than you do on your existing tele, as indeed you would with a sky FTV box.

The situation is not as black as you see it!

DaevP

Ok Dave I understand where your coming from now can u look at my situation, I'm willing to pay for extra digiboxes etc.

But look at this scenario, I'm in one room watching the footy on Sky Sports, my dad may be watchin the cricket on the other sports channel, my sisters are watchin one of the film channels and me mum is watchin the Zee TV or some other Asian channel.

Now u telling me that I have to be willing to pay for all these subscriptions 4 times over or will sky be willing to give me each subscrition on 4 cards and let me swap them around on any digibox I have in my house, I think not.

What I'm trying to say in my home there will be people trying to watch any multitude of cannels at any one time and no I dont want to save the footy on Tivo or Sky + an watch it later I know the result by then.

I'm absoloutely seething that to watch 2 different sky channels on 2 different TV's I require another digibox and subscription.

At the moment I can watch any terestrial channel on any TV in my house, seeing as terestrial is being phased out in the future why should I be forced to pay in the future to have a subscription for each TV I have.

Ok... Flame suit on!!! ;)

You have said in another post on this thread that you have no problems with buying extra equipment - so what's the problem?? There is no "issue" with having Sky operating on more than one TV in a house, but if you want to be able to watch premium channels on each TV then yes, you need to have more than one subscription. Why should Sky provide their premium services for free???

Before I get accused of working for Sky btw I have absolutely no affiliation with them whatsoever - I simply take it for what it is - a "Premium" service which you have to pay for. It's not compulsory guys!!!!!

And this isn't meant to be offensive either so sorry if it comes across that way :blush: - just my tuppence worth :)

.....flame suit off

Kelvin :D

Originally posted by kelvinp
Ok... Flame suit on!!! ;)

Why should Sky provide their premium services for free???

.....flame suit off

They way I see it is that the premium and non premium channels get their cut of your subscription money even if you do not watch the channel. You could have a SKY World package and be watching SKY1 but that still means SKY Sports or the Movie channels are still getting the money but you can not watch them, so it's perfectly understandable that someone can say that you are paying for them already so why should you pay AGAIN to access channels on an existing package.
It's only a hardware issue why you can't watch two subscription channels at the same time which could easily be resolved by releasing a dual tuner/decoder STB running off a single smartcard. This would eliminate any piracy issues but of course SKY couldn't charge you £144+ a year for the privilage of payign for a subscription channel TWICE.

SKY use this "drawback" to generate revenue at somethin like 90% profit in the first year and rising to 99.9% in subsequent years. I have no real problems with the SKY D channel packages and prices, I do think the SKY+ and "Mirror" subscriptions are wrong and motivated by pure corporate greed in the knowledge that there is no practical alternative for millions of their subscribers.

Fair point but thats not the same as wanting to watch Sky Sports 1 upstairs, Sky Premier in the Lounge, Sky Sports 2 in the kitchen.... etc ;) - all because your paying 1 subscription. My view was simply that if you want to be able to watch multiple premium channels, you should be prepared to pay do so. If you just want to be able to have Sky in different rooms, buy another decoder and get a FTV card.

It's only a hardware issue why you can't watch two subscription channels at the same time which could easily be resolved by releasing a dual tuner/decoder STB running off a single smartcard. This would eliminate any piracy issues but of course SKY couldn't charge you £144+ a year for the privilage of payign for a subscription channel TWICE.

You're right - they'd probably charge you £300 for the equipment and then £25 per month for the privelege (sp??!!) of having it ;) ;) :D

I e mailed Sky customer services just after starting this thread - got a reply today - usual automated crap about how lucky I am to have 2 boxes and what good value for money it was - as usual, everything except the answer to my question.

My reply was simple - So What? Either answer my questions - Justify 25% increase and will mine increase 50% next year - or I'll write to Watchdog complaining about recieving automated replies that don't answer the original questions etc.

Waiting with baited breath.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom