25-30k to spend on used SUV

Boot space is only 560L. Compare that with an Octavia VRS Estate which has a 640L boot, 0-62 6.7 sec and 245 bhp. But neither are an SUV, so perhaps not relevant.

While I'm a fan of the Octavia it's not even in the same league when it comes to luxury and refinement compared to a 5 series. I'd have a 520i or 530i over a VRs every time.

When we upsized, I opted for a Passat estate over SUV alternatives due to relative load space and cost. For me the main advantages of the SUV are the higher driving position and the Passat is a relatively long car.

That’s a heavy car with a 2.0l diesel.....unless you want get somewhere quickly it may be ok for you
The speed limit is 70 mph regardless of the car you are in.

The speed limit is 70 mph regardless of the car you are in.
And you can go quickly from 0 to 50mph In 50 limit.

Would a Golf R estate fit the bill, rarely seen on the roads but a hoot to drive and boot capacity for most load requirements. The VW based SUV’s T-Roc R and Seat Formentor Curpa are probably too new to hit the pricepoint/budget.

And you can go quickly from 0 to 50mph In 50 limit.
But then you are stuck at 50.
So you can get to 50 a whole 3 seconds quicker, massive saving on journey time.

The VW based SUV’s T-Roc R and Seat Formentor Curpa are probably too new to hit the pricepoint/budget
The Skoda equivalents will likely be in budget and are basically the same car with probably a slightly inferior interior.

That Golf R estate looks really nice with great performance and a decent load space. You can take your 2 dogs to visit your relatives in Germany and try out the unrestricted Autobahns :)

The Skoda mentioned above is not comparable as it’s diesel also it’s very cramped as a 7 seater

Check out Autotrader and the R can be had within budget

I know which I’d take

The Skoda equivalents will likely be in budget and are basically the same car with probably a slightly inferior interior.
Hi I didn’t realise that Skoda made a high-performance model but agree they meet a pricepoint v Golf v Seat

Hi I didn’t realise that Skoda made a high-performance model but agree they meet a pricepoint v Golf v Seat
I think the whole Skoda range comes in a VRS model now

I'm biased of course :D

1612813473109.png

Just helped my youngest move house and we were shoving all sorts in the back, including Ikea double bed flat packs.

Last edited:
"I need an SUV as I have two largish dogs and I need space to carry costuming kit around to events."

I simply pointed out that a Skoda Estate fulfils those requirements and I have one that has served me well.

What have you recommended?

"I need an SUV as I have two largish dogs and I need space to carry costuming kit around to events."

I simply pointed out that a Skoda Estate fulfils those requirements and I have one that has served me well.

What have you recommended?

An estate will do the trick I think so that does broaden my range......decisions, decisions...........I am leaning towards the BMW, but like anything , I need to see it in the flesh and test drive.

Everyones help is appreciated

I think you'd like the 5 series, it's the little things that make it feel more special and luxury over a 3/4 series.

Once upon a time when I used to leave the house...I have justified money on fast and furious type R's, 1M's and big chunky A6's......

Nowerdays, where its now considered an achievement if I put any type shoe on at any point during the day.... I simply couldn't justify any money spent on a motor.

I half wish I'd have had the balls to sell the A6 at the start if all this and muddled through with 1 car for the family...

I know the OP has a requirement and everyone is helping , its just reading through and seeing 30k this and 35k that.... makes my eyes water... that and mild conjunctivitis...!

Once upon a time when I used to leave the house...I have justified money on fast and furious type R's, 1M's and big chunky A6's......

Nowerdays, where its now considered an achievement if I put any type shoe on at any point during the day.... I simply couldn't justify any money spent on a motor.

I half wish I'd have had the balls to sell the A6 at the start if all this and muddled through with 1 car for the family...

I know the OP has a requirement and everyone is helping , its just reading through and seeing 30k this and 35k that.... makes my eyes water... that and mild conjunctivitis...!
One reason I bought the MK4 Golf estate i have.
It gets a run once a week and I can only see it appreciating.
And I can throw my dogs in the back full of mud, water and whatever else they roll in and not worry. I wouldn't do that with a 35k car

One reason I bought the MK4 Golf estate i have.
It gets a run once a week and I can only see it appreciating.
And I can throw my dogs in the back full of mud, water and whatever else they roll in and not worry. I wouldn't do that with a 35k car
It's horses for courses.

I remember when we were doin g stuff to our house back in 2001and turning up to the tip with loads of builder's rubbish etc, the chaps there said good on you for using the car, mind you there were a few odd looks from others, below is said vehicle

R34nrr.JPG

I

I totally understand that, it’s a lot of cash but it’s only relevant to what you can and cannot afford.

I am very fortunate that I would not miss 30k and if it’s one thing this pandemic has taught me, planning for tomorrow when tomorrow may never come.....is not always a great strategy........It’s good to live a bit (within your means) and having lost my Dad when he was 52 and I’m now 48..........I’m all for money in the memory bank rather than just the bank (where I earn 0.5%)

I would recommend the estate option as well.
I was looking at an SQ5 or X5 and eventually bought a bmw 330d tourer. It’s a fantastic bit of kit, 5.1 to 60 so you can have a bit of fun or you can put it in eco mode and it returns 42mpg.
Build quality is excellent. I nearly went for the Golf R estate but they are quite thirsty for the miles I do

It’s not the correct age, but what you save on the asking price you could buy many years manufacturer’s warranty and a lot of petrol! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom