25-30,000 miles a year HELP!!

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Donnacha, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    Hi all,

I run a crap Peugeot 307 HDi for the last 3 & half years which now has 114k on the clock and a tonne of problems - service is crap, car is crap, Peugeot are crap!!

Anyway as I do a lot of mileage every year (that is not paid for - big commute!!) I'm looking to get another machine.

Some advice from fellow commuters would be really appreciated. What do you guys buy, new or 2nd hand, knowing the miles you're gonna put on it?

What diesel would you recommend? Any good offers out there, good place to buy second hand, pitfalls (i.e. whats the treshold of milage not to buy over?) etc.

Any thoughts / suggestions / advice / recommendations would be gratefully received!

Thanks for looking
    Donnacha

2. bugsterbuns

bugsterbuns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mate i did in excess of 45k a year for the last 3 years, dare i say it was in an audi a4 2.5tdi, was a beauty to drive, economical as well as loads of power on tap, if you can get one great if not settle for any audi, vw or seat with a 1.9tdi lump under the hood, the make really good mileage eaters. Seat might be the cheapest of the lot but bearing in mind the kind of mileage you do there will be hardly any resale value left on your motor

hope this helps

you might also consider an LPG converted car again an audi 2.4 or 2.8 petrol lump will do

3. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Depends on your budget obviously, but something like a Passat, Accord or A4 would be my choice...

Avoid french cars at all cost!!!

4. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    A hard lesson learned!!

Thanks - An A4 would be nice.

I'm skeptical of spending a shed load because of the fact it'll be worth nothing! Even after a year it'll take a big hit.

second hand may be an option

5. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    Thanks for that - considering the cost of diesel these days LPG is an option - but can it offer the mpg? Or do I need to be filling up every journey (88miles each way!!!)

Cheers

6. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I'd second the comment above re the Accord. I've got 140K on mine since 1999, and it's been extremely reliable. It's petrol, so I can't comment on the diesel model, but I get 38mpg out of mine on a 90 mile round trip motorway commute.

7. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Volvo S60, either a D5 or the dual fuel one. Well equipped, well built, good economy and most importantly for high mileages, supremely comfortable seats.

8. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

Another question - who buys these cars of ours that have such high miles? I take it a dealer wouldn't touch 'em and I'd need to sell privately? Again, its had the lock broken, following a break in that its not worth repairing based on the low value!

9. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi Donnacha,

I'm in a similar position (30k PA), but run a 53 plate 130hp 6 speed TDCi Mondeo. Great cruiser, good economy (averaging 52mpg over 70k miles), cheap to insure, even cheaper to buy - try www.motorpoint.co.uk and buy 6-12 month examples, should be less than 10k in cost, plus they will take you current car in px (h*ll, when I bought mine 2.5 years ago from there they took 2 cars in px) - one point here, haggle hard, don't just acceot the first offer [I got over £500 more by haggling hard]. Only issue for me are the services every 12.5k, a main dealer will charge approx £150 for one of these, though on the mondeo forums, most of the people there do their own oil/filter change every 6k to get better wear etc. Tyres will cost in the region of £250-400 per set [mine last for approx 35k] depending on which manufacturer you fit.

One last issue - yes you will lose even more value on the car with high miles (mine's probably work around 5-5.5k now, was 10.5 when I bought it), but just trade it again at motorpoint or others and start all over again.

Cheers

Joust

10. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    Cheers Joust

some useful info there! I can actually get discounts on new fords (father in law is an employee). Motorpoint is a good shout - I think there's one in Derby so I'll have a look. I'm still not sure what I want yet! As I don't have kids (yet!!) I don't need anything too big, but big enough to get my guitars & amps in there for a gig! Then other times I think about treating myself to something snazzy, but that could be throwing money away due to high miles.

The 307's service interval is 12k also and £150 for a service doesn't sound too bad to me compared to Peugeot!

Decisions, decisions....one thing is for sure - it won't be a french car!!!

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,914
    With that kind of mileage I wouldn't spend much on it at all.....I was just looking on Autotrader...You could get a Ford Scorpio 2.5TD with all the toys for less than £1000.....Drive it for a year and throw it away...Cheap motoring....

Or personally I would even consider a Mercedes S280 or S320...Sure they drink petrol, but just imagine how much petrol you can get for a £4k difference and the comfort you are having....Just a thought, don't just stare blindly into the diesel corner...There are some really comfortable petrol cars a lot, lot cheaper available....

12. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    Can a petrol take the engine wear an' tear as good as a diesel?i.e can it handle 100k plus, without hassle?

Also I'd need to be refilling the tank evey few days - whereas with the current diesel one fill is enough for the week (3 x 176 miles)

Cheers

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,914
    Technically I do not know honestly...Personally I believe so when you take an automatic gearbox...From personal experience 100k+ no problem...200k no problem...300k I've only seen diesels....

528 miles on one tank is definitely possible...My BMW 720 V12 was getting about 550 miles on a tank...My current Peugeot 406 3L V6 is getting about 500 miles but has a much smaller tank....But to be honest if it is mainly town driving you do, then you won't stand a chance getting 528 miles out of a tank....So from a convenience perspective it is not that handy as you may loose 30 minutes per week....

14. scottie50

scottie50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just done 46k over the last 12months in a VW golf 1.9 Tdi, smooth, reasonably quick, and best of all 55mpg:smashin:

15. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    With that sort of milage I certainly wouldn't buy new, infact I wouldn't buy new anyway. You lose so much money in the first year it's unbelievable. Is this car just for driving to and from work? Visiting customers? Only car? If it's just to get to and from work, I'd be inclined to buy a cheapy, run it into the ground and buy another. Unless you need to have a smart car to visit customers or clients I don't think it's worth the loses to run a nice, newish car for that kind of milage. You could even buy a second, nicer car to use in the evenings and weekends.

16. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    I tend to agree - hence why I haven't got rid of my current car with 115k on the clock. Just keep it going and save all the money (except for servicing and all its problems!!)

It is mainly to and from work then non-work stuff like going to football games (watching & playing), concerts (watching & playing) airports etc.

The first year loss is what's putting me off from buying in the short term!

17. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,377
    I'm also driving one of these and averaging 30K (54 plate).
    It's provided by work and I was very dubious about Fords diesels which, a few years ago, used to be joint worst with Vauxhall.
    I think this is one of the best diesels I have had. I have chosen Peugeots before and have to say I think their diesel engines are suberb. The trouble is the rest of the car. Cheap plasticky trim that rattles about and comes loose is what put me off.

By the way Joust, Are you really getting that mpg. I ask because we were chatting about this at work the other day and everyone else was saying the same. However. After a bit more chat, it came out that they were going by their in-car computer readout. When I first get a car I measure the economy for the first few months, but I do it the only accurate way. I start with a full tank and then, when it needs filling, I Fill up, and then calculate how much fuel I have had to replace, and how many I have travelled for that fuel useage.
    I average between 44 and 47 mpg. But, my computer readout tells me I am getting between 52 and 55 mpg.

18. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi Steve,

I calculate the same way as you ;) ;) The in car trip is currently reading 58mpg - I have had it reading as high as 65mpg :eek: :eek: :eek: (and yes I correspondingly had a very good mpg on that run). However, this frugality comes at a price - I generally set the cruise control at 2000rpm in 6th gear ;) , seems to be the best compromise between speed and economy (p.s. I have to pay for all of my own fuel - I wouldn't cruise at this speed if I wasn't:devil: ).

Cheers

Joust

19. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,377
    I know what you mean. My car is provided by the local authority but I have to pay for my fuel and then get reimbursed at 9p per mile.
    I currently lose out to the tune of about £4 to £8 every fill up. This has made me drive at lot more carefully.
    I find that even on motorways, if I use the cruise control, I am constantly having to override it to either overtake or prevent creeping up on other vehicles.
    By the way, do you find that your car stalls at the least excuse. I haven't driven another car quite like this one for that. I wondered if it is due the closer gearing on the 6 speed box. If I have to pull out into a road with fast moving traffic I find I have to keep the revs higher than normal and slip the clutch rather than take the risk of stalling it.

20. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Never had a problem with the car stalling (and I don't need to rev mine hard to get away, sometimes if I'm in no real hurry, I will just let the clutch out gently with the engine idling only).

Joust

21. Elppin

Elppin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Donnacha,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Do 25-30k per year (110 miles per day, 5 days per week commute).

Way I see it is that if I spend £10k on a car, it'll be worthless within 3-4 yrs. If I spend £4k on a car it'll be worthless in 3-4 years. Needless to say, losing £10k instead of £4k lost its appeal very quickly.

I ended up spending £4k on a 4 yr old Fiesta TD in August 04. It had 42k miles on it then, and is on 97k now. So far its had a new exhaust (fair enough), and a set of tyres and front brake pads and thats it (other than servicing every 10k miles of course).

In hindsight I would've bought the next size of car up (Focus etc), as the Fiesta is a little uncomfortable sometimes (lack of seat travel/adjustment), but overall I've been quite impressed.

The problem with dropping your budget too low, is that the likelihood is that you'll spend more in maintenance (and hire cars!). I did consider just spending £1-2k, but the cars found in that price range often leave a lot to be desired! Definite balancing act between cost and comfort/reliability.

I'm looking at changing the Fiesta shortly, and figure I'll get about a grand for it, so it will have cost me £1500 per year in depreciation. Not too bad overall, and its done 50mpg constantly (I don't have the lightest right foot!).

Next car will probably be a 3-4 yr old Focus 1.8 diesel and I'll be planning to keep it for at least 3 years. Probably buy something around the 40k mile mark again, and will run it to at least 130k miles before changing.

Will be looking out for your choice of car with interest...

Tony

22. Biskitboy

Biskitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 2000 (X) VW Golf 1.9 TDi Estate from an eBay trader for £3600.

Ex fleet with 142k (now +36k after 12 months), full dealer service history, near mint condition and zero problems over the year, routine maintenance only, and it's just sailed through it's MOT without so much as a spanner on it.

Mr Volkswagen does make exceedingly good cars !

There are such bargains to be had but as ever, buyer beware !

If you're not car savvy take someone along with you who is.

A couple of examples currently on offer:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-03-VW-GO...62QQihZ007QQcategoryZ9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-GO...68QQihZ003QQcategoryZ9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

23. tom_piano_man

tom_piano_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Go secondhand - but not that old. Say 1-2 years.

Go for a big german diesel - A4 or A6, Passat, or a Skoda Superb. All have VAG reliability and VAG diesel engines.

Merc E320cdi (if you can) or a BMW 530d (getting cheaper) or 330d (now around £8-9k).

All are really good cruisers, have good fuel economy and should be very reliable.