24ps versus 24ps Real Cinema??

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but please, what is the difference between 24ps and 24ps Real Cinema?

I watch a fair few Blu's on my Ps3 and want to be assured 'judder' will disappear.

I'm about to replace my plasma with a Panasonic TH50PZ but can't make my mind about on a 81B or an 80B model.

While I'm on, as a fully paid up Sky+HD subscriber, is FreesatHD really worth that much more over Freeview (i.e. ITV-HD)?

Finally, if anyone has the matching stand for this, what is the height of the top shelf? Want to make sure my centre speaker will sit on it.

Many thanks for any input.

Isn't "24p Real Cinema" the Sony processing name?
Could be wrong...

I have the 50pz80 the blu-ray pictures are judder free it auto selects 24ps As said real cinema is Sonys name

As i understand it, 24p playback means the TV will accept a 1080/24p signal (typically via blu-ray) and use a refresh rate that's a direct multiple of 24, perhaps 72Hz, to ensure judder free playback.

According to the manual for my Panny Plasma, 24p Real Cinema takes the 1080/24p signal and generates 60 frames per second (from the 24 frames per second source material). Apparently this also results in smoother playback. I have a feeling this may only be activated if intelligent frame creation is switched on, which can lead to problems of it's own.

As i understand it, 24p playback means the TV will accept a 1080/24p signal (typically via blu-ray) and use a refresh rate that's a direct multiple of 24, perhaps 72Hz, to ensure judder free playback.

According to the manual for my Panny Plasma, 24p Real Cinema takes the 1080/24p signal and generates 60 frames per second (from the 24 frames per second source material). Apparently this also results in smoother playback. I have a feeling this may only be activated if intelligent frame creation is switched on, which can lead to problems of it's own.

Thanks for that mate. So this intelligent frame creation may not be all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks for that mate. So this intelligent frame creation may not be all it's cracked up to be?

I guess opinions will vary, but I have IFC permanently switched off. It seems to work most of the time, but it only needs to get it wrong one or twice during the course of a long movie and it's noticeable to me.

One of the first blu-ray movies I watched was Troy. Early on in the film a character is walking away from the camera in a dimly lit room when he turns his head to look over his shoulder. For a split second, his head seemed to become slightly detached from the rest of his body. At the time I thought IFC was off, but sure enough on rechecking it was on. After switching it back off I didn't have any more problems.

could be wrong but i think real cinema uses frame creation on a 24hz source to improve the motion smoothness. where as 24 playback just shows the same frame repeatedly(in panasonics case four times= 96hz)

This page, Panasonic - ideas for life - Television - Plasma TVs - TH-50PZ81B - Specification about half way down in the Display details. It states

24p Real Cinema yes
24p Playback yes

Really just wondering what the difference is.

What is your opinion on the set mate? Did you 'run it in', etc.?

I love it. SD could be better but I think it might as the screen wears in. As for HD it comes into its own. Then blu-ray well what can I say this side of a Pioneer you will not get better, I cant pull myself away from the screen I have watched so many films in the last week my eyes are square. As for running in just when SD is showing

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom