everway9

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. :)

I have a Panasonic TX-50EX700B 4K HDR TV and a Panasonic DMP-UB700 4K BluRay player.

I wasn't sure whether my post should be here or in the BluRay player section of the forum.

I'd like some advice please regarding a combination(s) of settings on both the player and the TV which will keep 4K 24P BluRay movie motion judder to a minimum.

I tried the Intelligent Frame Creation setting on the TV. It has Min, Mid, Max and Off. It's only when I have it set to Max when the image becomes super smooth. However when the action speeds up in movies the picture appears to break up in certain areas, usually around where dark images meet light images. And it gives a visual trailers like effect. The break up/trailers effect is not too bad but it is noticeable.

There's plenty of settings on both TV and player and I'm wondering if anyone knows what each setting does and could maybe advise which settings will be best to use to obtain the smoothest picture without visual disturbances.

I know that my TV isn't the best of it's kind and it probably doesn't support 24P as well as more expensive models do but I just want to get rid of as much judder as possible.

It's only my 4K BluRay movies which I'm getting judder with. Everything else seems to be fine.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. :)

I've got the 50DX700 (last years model) and have the same issue. I've been through every setting imaginable and even been in contact with Panasonic who state there shouldn't be any judder. Every review I can find of my TV makes no reference to this. I've come to the conclusion that were just supposed to use IFC to smooth things out

Hi anchorless. :)

IFC is pretty good for making things smoother. It's just a shame it creates other problems.

I found a had to set it to mid to get rid of judder. Did create the soap opera effect but made everything look 3D-like [emoji106]

Yeah.. I know what you mean. It does create a sort of 3D effect which is pretty cool in itself. :)

Do you notice the picture break up when you have IFC turned on? Maybe I'm just being way too fussy. :D

Noticed I get glitches on 50hz stuff but don't seem to on 24hz material weirdly. Tip if you use kodi - set the programt to run at 50hz than select the option to sync display to movie. 24p plays at 50hz perfectly smooth [emoji106]

Yeah but Kodi's from a PC to TV isn't it? I'm playing 4K 24P BluRay discs from my stand alone BluRay player to my TV.

I'm sure you know already but the first thing to bear in mind is that 24p itself is inherently "juddery." There's a reason a minimum of 30 frames per second is a target for gaming performance; because our eyes are very good at detecting anything less. Film producers / cinematographers and directors specifically have to shoot panning shots in a certain way to try and avoid excessive 24p judder. I watched Dunkirk in the cinema the other day on a super high end 4k projector and it was juddery as hell on fast panning.

It's hugely incongruent to the technology advances elsewhere, but most purists will still argue that 24p is the way cinema was meant to be, and the reaction to The Hobbit in HFR and general hatred of the soap opera effect would be consistent with that.

I think many people expect a "24p compatible" set to smooth out film. All the 24p compatibility does is avoid the other type of "Judder" you get when playing back a 24p film at 60hz. Put the player into non-24p mode and see what poor enthusiasts used to have to put up with prior to proper 24p display. That doesn't solve the fact that 24 frames per second is an incredibly slow rate to show moving images!

To smooth out this 24p problem you can try and use IFC but this will always introduce artefact to a degree. I don't have personal experience with your set but the only way to engage it without too much SOE or artefact on last years Dx902 is to use the custom mode rather than any defaults. On Max you'll see artect galore because the set is working incredibly hard to insert frames that don't exist.

You might also see a bit of black trailing due the nature of the VA panels that Panasonic and Sony use, but I don't know if your specific set is affected.

As far as I am aware all you can do on the player is make sure it has 24p engaged. On the TV you can put it in game mode to see what happens when you remove any motion processing. Then experiment with the IFC to see what you prefer. But bear in mind 24 fps is inherently juddery!

Kodi can be from any device, I use a nvidia shield. I've got IFC set to mid for my 4k blurays, once you get used to the smooth effect they look amazing

Thanks Dave.

That is an incredibly informative post. I'm understanding now. :)

Kodi can be from any device, I use a nvidia shield. I've got IFC set to mid for my 4k blurays, once you get used to the smooth effect they look amazing

So do you mean that I can install Kodi on my UB700? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom