Question 24AWG for Display Port, HDMI, DVI, and VGA?

CAT 6a or CAT 5e internal wall wires for data, phone, and hdmi??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marbuel

Novice Member
Reaction score
I simply CANNOT find any good HDMI cable anywhere, I cant find 24AWG CAT 6a at all actually.

Here is why I'm looking, tell me what you think.
I'm going to put several outlets behind each TV: 1 Coax, 1 Ethernet, 1 Phone, and 1 HDMI. All of these wires are going to lead to 1 Location, My computer, sort of a video and audio Dmark HUB for the entire house. I have in my possession about 1000' of outdoor 24AWG Cat 5e and commscope RG-6 for all the inner wiring but I REALLY would like to find some really good looking CAT 6a wire for all the wiring that's outside of the walls and potentially switching out the Cat 5e data wires for CAT 6a aswell.

Is there a wire out there that has like a cyan exterior braid outside of the main cable jacket or can i potentially purchase that seperate?

still really new to all this CAT what-have-you I generally only mess with Coax and CAT 3 but I'm setting this house up for some pretty dope **** so I want it all done in a "Forward Thinking" fashion, in the sense that all I would need to do to update it all is to cut old fittings and wallplates off and replace them.

I buy wire BULK at 1000'

Forward thinking would be to create cable ways using conduit - internal and external.

HDMI Cables don't do 'long' and with the advent of UHD BD and other '4K Sources the problem is even more acute.

HDMI is best run over Solid core, non-CCA CAT6 or fibre - the latter is still pretty expensive to do a whole house.

External grade cable is pretty stiff and could be a real pain in a complex property.

Most installers are now running 3 or 4 CAT6 to each Zone alongside RF.

With the rise of Smart TV's and low cost networked streamers plan around a central NAS/Server rather than distributing the Video Output of the PC.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom