1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by raigraphixs, Apr 15, 2002.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    Hi

I have just emailed the BBC to complain about BBC Choice, using voiceover about 10 mintues before 24 finished on 14.4.02, just when the agent handcuffed the girl who was working on the inside for the kidnappers, by advertising the ''2 Pints of Lager and a Pack of Crisps'' or whatever its called, is coming up next!!!, talk about screw up, I heard similar stories before about this happening.
    It ruins the programme, cant they wait till its finished and do it over the credits.

rai

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    Sky have also done it on a couple of occasions near the end of some films i was watching on Sky Movies. One i remember was called 'White Squall' (jeff bridges), where the story was being rounded off by the voice of a young actor - and the silly Sky bints voice actually drowned his out, so i never got to hear the end.

Luckily they dont seem to have made that mistake since.

Dean

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else notice the high picture quality of 24?

I have to admit I've been taping each episode and watching them Monday but the pic quality is among the best I've seen from my VCR (it is a £400 machine so it's usable as a source).

The funniest thing about the show is that once you remove the 15mins of what would be advertising space in the US, take away the 3 minute 'Previously on 24' intro and 2 minute end credits, you technically a have 40 minute show rather than the much hyped real time 'hour'.

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    On ITVDigital BBC2 last Sunday the picture quality was terrible, loads of macroblocking and really, really horrible posturized blacks.

It looked worse than a poorly done DivX clip to me...

Surprised you thought it looked good. Maybe analogue is better for this one.

John

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the magic words there were 'ITV Digital'.

I watch it on Sky's presentation of BBC2 and as stated, I think it looks superb. Better than the BBCChoice presentation which I watched once and didn't think looked as good AND had the (how big?) logo in the top left.

That is on a 36" CRT TV though so I concede it may look worse on bigger RPTVs and/or projectors.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The daughter chick in the tank top is one hot babe.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BenDover: Although not a qualified optician I can confirm that your eyesight is undeniably 20/20 :D

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BenDover: Although not a qualified optician I can confirm that your eyesight is undeniably 20/20 :D

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Two quick points:

1) "24" will almost always look better on Sky Digital BBC2, than Sky Digital BBC Choice. SImply down to the bandwidth Sky allocates to each channel. As BBC2 is a big mainstream channel, it will get more space to send picture and audio, than BBC Choice will.

2) It is very common for most end-credit announcements and voiceovers to be pre-recorded, and then played back by a timed computer, or for a button to be pushed to play the announcement by the tea-boy/girl. Sadly, a) if the computer mistimes, then the announcement airs early, and it can't easily be silenced, or b) depending on how technically competent the teaboy/girl is, he/she will have to time it correctly, to make sure the announcement doesn't clash with the program. Sadly, many voiceovers do clash, which - in my opinion - seems to imply technical incompetence on the station, and not just a once-off human error.

A better solution, would be to ban all voiceovers and adverts of any kind, until the end of a show! :D

Pooch

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    juboy

I heard you the first time.