Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to watch it anyway? The adverts have revelaed to me who the prisoner is to be released before a killer virus is released and courtesy of picking up one of the Murdoch empires papers (Sun) at work , Jack injects him self heroin, I may be harsh but im sure they revelaed far more than the BBC ever did on its ads, im waiting for DVD.

Also, a one hour time episode (which is really about 45 minutes of film) is being broadcast over 75 minutes. Surely that doesn't mean 30 minutes of adverts. I think I'll record it and press fast forward a lot!

Yes I'm getting the box set on DVD as well.

i think the reason for the first episode being 75 minutes is that Landrover? paid for a big pre-episode and post-episode ad

so it was actually boadcast as the full one hour

sky want to put their ads in so it is 75minutes

not sure about the subsequent episodes

good to hear from you again Rasczak

i thought the opening episode of a series are usually longer than the rest of the series.

Damage,

First episodes are not always longer. In fact, many modern shows start off with a standard one-hour (45 mins in the UK) pilot episode, e.g. "24", "CSI: Crime Scene Investigations", "CSI: Miami", "The Shield", etc, etc. Occasionally, they may run a two-hour (90 mins in the UK) feature-length episode, e.g. "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" et al, but many don't.

Pooch

Can you please ensure that these replies do not include spoilers - I now already know that a prisoner gets released and someone injects themself with heroin.

Thanks for that...

Originally posted by Harj
Why would you want to watch it anyway? The adverts have revelaed to me who the prisoner is to be released before a killer virus is released and courtesy of picking up one of the Murdoch empires papers (Sun) at work , Jack injects him self heroin, I may be harsh but im sure they revelaed far more than the BBC ever did on its ads, im waiting for DVD.

Possible spoiler:

That doesn't really tell you alot, I've seen up to episode 9 and the prisoner is not released (he's broken out), Jack has been resisting the urge and so far hasn't jacked up

Do we know whether this is widescreen? A lot of Sky One stuff aint.

Originally posted by WeirdFish
Do we know whether this is widescreen? A lot of Sky One stuff aint.

hope so, they do show a high definition version and a widescreen version in america - lets hope sky dont mess it up too much

I just had to get to my PC to blast off about 24 on Sky One while it's still on air! Surely Sky must be breaking some rules about advertising here? 30 mins of advert/trailers in a 45 min show is just taking the p*ss.

Thank god for Sky+. I've already set it recording and I'll watch it later so I can skip the ads. Up yours Sky.

Lets hope the distributor has done a dirty on Sky and it starts airing on BBC2 in a few weeks.

Just watched the first episode, the amount of adverts really pee'd me off.
Against my better judgement I've still got my sky sub, but much more of this and its definitely going.
Enjoyed it otherwise:rolleyes:

Will definitely be taping this from now on so I can skip the ads. Just when some tension/excitement was building we went to commercial :thumbsdow

at least Jack managed not to kill anyone in the first ep this time, must be getting soft in his old age. I agree about the ads though Nivia is ask you ;-)

I timed the adverts and it was exactly (to the second!!)
the legally allowed maximum, which is 6 minutes of ads in half an hour broadcast.

They had exactly 12 minutes between 9 and ten.....

I agree taping it is the better idea.

I was pretty amazed that Joel Surnow is credited as a writer as
i normally don't like his style, anyone now if he was in charge for the first two seasons as well?

Well Joel Surnew is credited as one of the creaters and has writen lots of the 24 episodes.

Originally posted by thamesider
Just watched the first episode, the amount of adverts really pee'd me off.
Against my better judgement I've still got my sky sub, but much more of this and its definitely going.
Enjoyed it otherwise:rolleyes:

People complain about the BBC license fee, but paying sky a subscription is little different. You expect fewer adverts on sky than itv, c4 and c5 because of this! :mad:

I can't stand sky! :rolleyes:

It used to be good but there are fewer and fewer programmes I like on skyone, there might only be 4 proper bbc channels but theres far more to watch on them that all the satellite/cable crap channels combined.

Originally posted by runningback
I timed the adverts and it was exactly (to the second!!) the legally allowed maximum, which is 6 minutes of ads in half an hour broadcast.

So that would mean 15 mins of adverts and 15 mins of Sky trailers, I can just imagine Sky cutting the cake at a birthday party!

The 'powers that be' really ought to do something about Sky's excessive use of trailers, it really got my goat tonight.

:mad:

I recorded 24 on SKY+ so that I could begin to watch at about 9.20pm, whizz through adverts....

1) the SKY+ (maybe I should call it SKY-) decided to play silly buggers and recorded Sky One Mix instead, even though the guidE said it was recording SKy One. I realised this (whilst checking just to make sure!) at about 9.10pm - I had to power off the box, losing any recording. Missed the "first 10 minutes" - first 10 minutes in Jackworld, but about 15 minutes in SkyWorld.....

2) The adverts were horrendous. Not just product advertising, but trailers for umpteen crappy shows on Sky. Games Guru , you make a good point about the fact we pay substantial subs for these channels, yet we get MORE adverts.....

3) It would be painful but if viewing 24 is made that joyless and frustrating again I will quit on it, wait for the DVD and really enjoy it properly. The problem is, there's no good alternative to SKY. There is no cable where I live, I suppose I could get a Freeview box....

Wow, to think of the ranting we did (Bobbles? others?) when BBC3 showed this and mucked about with logos, voiceovers etc.....come back, all (well almost all) is forgiven!

Oh, and by the way - Nivea??!! How pathetic. Oooh, we want to show that Jack is sensitive, we don't just appeal to macho viewers.....HATE this "sponsorship" nonsense. Is that included in the advertising time limit? Bet they get to add that on without it counting.....

Snarl.

I found the episode to be very "quiet". I was watching at my usual volume level but had to turn it up a few notches.

I had to turn it up 10 notches!

I believe it is an underhand tactic so that when the ads come on we are paralysed and hypnotised by the sheer aural overload! We all know that it's common practice for the ad breaks to be a wee bit louder but that took the biscuit....:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom