Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

24" Widescreens - What Do You See?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Bettingmad, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Bettingmad

Bettingmad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never had a widescreen and currently use a 14" portable which I sit fairly close to and plan to replace it with a widescreen.
    I was thinking 24" as space is limited on the shelf - but what do you see with a 24" widescreen?

With my portable I know I see less of the picture than I do on my larger 28". Would it be the same on a 24" widescreen as opposed to say a 28" widescreen i.e. missing bits from the edge of the picture or do you see all the picture but centred on the screen as a smaller but whole picture?

Any model recommendations would be appreciated. It's to be used with Sky Digital not DVD's. Being watched from fairly close picture quality is important. I don't want a stand.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Minor adjustment differences (overscan) aside, what you should not differ depending on the tube size of the set. Obviously, the larger the tube, the larger the picture. But its contents should be the same (give or take). Provided that you compare like with like (ie widescreen with widescreen, or 4x3 with 4x3).

Comparing a widescreen set with a 4x3 one - when used with a digital TV set top box:

If the programme is a widescreen one (and many are) with broadcasts you will probably see more of the picture at the left and right sides, with a widescreen set. Depends on how it is broadcast.

If the programme is a 4x3 one, you will see the same thing on both sets. On the widescreen set (assuming you use the most correct '4x3' setting) it will be the same 4x3 image but it will be centred in the screen, with black areas left and right.

3. Bettingmad

Bettingmad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel.

The Toshiba 24z33 seems reasonable particularly as it is so much smaller than a lot of the others I've looked at.