1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 - The BBC are idiots!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 7, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Is it just me, or have the BBC just turned into a total bunch of complete a-holes?!

Apart from deciding that Digital viewers will now get to see all future episodes a week before Terrestrial viewers (via BBC Choice, each Sunday @ 22:45-23:30), they seem to have a mighty odd idea about their audiences.

Tonight's episode of "24" had the credits crushed, and a trailer for "The X-Files" shown, which directly follows "24" on BBC2. Then, at the end of that, they then go on to say you can watch the next installment of "24" now, on BBC Choice! Duh!

Aren't the people they are trying to entice to watch "The X-Files", going to be the same as those who ALSO want to watch the next episode of "24", or is that just me being a total prat?!

Pooch

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another example of bbc's complete stupidity

oscars night!!! arses

on teletext tonight it claimed the episode just shown on bbc choice is not going to be screened on bbc2 next week

sounds like crap to me

good programme thou

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have always found the BBC to be uselessly annoying when it comes to high profile American TV imports - they simply ruined the X-files for me (before I had Sky) as they would constantly keep changing its time slot, edit it, air it out of sequence, or cancelling it altogether for the snooker/cricket/golf/underwater basket weaving! I missed so many episodes because of them messing it around that I just gave up.

Any news on 24 coming out on DVD? I saw that Smallville is being released soon (unfortunately not a series boxset:( )

Lex.

4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Lex

The BBC bought 'Band Of Brothers' last year for a lot of money. When did they show it?, early on Friday evenings when most people are out down the pub!.

Doh!......

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the way the bbc treated shows such as seinfeld and larry sanders was shocking

the bbc do not have a clue sometimes

seinfeld in particular should have been huge and would have with the correct timeslots and promotion

6. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're also forgetting how badly they treated Buffy, dropping her for snooker, tennis, Olympics etc.

And come to think of it the mess they made of Star Trek Voyager, one week there was 7 of 9 in her cat suit (pauses for a moment to savour the thought :devil:) then the next week back to the beginning of the series, with 7 nowhere to be seen. Talk about a borgs up!

I like Aunty Beeb I'm glad we have her but I agree with you, there needs to be a shake up in the popular entertainment dept... and don't get me started on Radio 1! :mad:

7. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Oh...you better be ****ing joking :(

Me and the missus debated watching BBC Choice last night and decided to wait till next week.

If that's the case then there ain't a lot of point in us watching the bloody thing :mad:

EDIT: Just looked on Sky EPG and it's showing that this episode is being shown next week on BBC2 at the normal time (it's the 6-7am episode).

So that's a relief then.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    I think it is being show ie 6am-7am at 10:15pm.

9. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, look who's running the BBC, this government!

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it does go to show bbc teletext is as ****e as bbc

according to teletext sun evening tv papges it had this as a big warning that it was not going to be screened but according to all tv listing it is

it is a great episode too

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am sure Tony Blair doesn't pick which X-Files episode to air! :D

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Of course he doesn't - that's the Foreign Secretary's job

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Evening,

I don't know who or where the rumour aobut Episode 7 not being aired on BBC2 stemmed from, but it is totally fake - as many of you have already discovered.

I spoke to a contact I have at the BBC regarding their decision to screen all future episodes on BBC Choice, a week ahead of BBC2, and this is what he said:

1) The show was a cross-purchase between BBC2 and BBC Choice, so out of their programme budgets, they each paid half towards the costs!

2) The show is doing phenomenally well, and as an incentive to get people to get Digital TV (in one form or another), they decided that they would air all future episodes 7 days, prior to BBC2 viewers getting the chance to see it.

3) This is only a trial basis. Most new US shows, either turn-up solely on BBC1, BBC2 or BBC Choice. Rarely, do they interchange.

I expect a DVD release before the end of 2002, almost without fail, because the show has been critically and publically applauded! I am disappointed that "24" is being aired prior to BBC2 audiences getting their chance to see it, but the BBC guy I spoke to also said, its an attempt to be more aggressive, against other satellite and cable TV stations, e.g. Sky 1, ITV2, etc.

His answers didn't exactly make me much happier, but I guess that that's the mdeia for you - always more interested in ratings and money, than what audiences want!

Pooch

14. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Dividing the audiences between B2 and Choice would seem counter productive as a ratings slayer fo either channel, surely one or the other is going to be better armed. I have dig' but would wait for B2 because this means no logos and with a good reception better images to softer dig' anyway IMHO. Plus for those without a WS telly they'll have to endure the Choice dog further embedded in the picture - same with C5 I noted, though weird how much smaller the dog is/appears and transparent when scaled on dig'.
    I did hear that 24 is rumoured for a possible return with new SS cast...

15. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Cant see your problems with BBC2's showing

1. What real difference does it make, seeing it one week later than BBC Choice??

2. NO LOGOS

3. NO ADVERTS

i'm just so grateful that Sky didnt snap this one up.

Dean

16. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I watched the B2 version, then switched to Choice.

I won't be doing that again in a hurry :-(

even with a widescreen set the choice logo still is in the frame.

so it now means I'll have to wait 2 weeks to see the next ep on B2

ah well

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the rumour about the bbc not showing was dure to the golf coverage.

B2 came to its senses thankfully

18. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Did anyone else notice how inappropriate that voice over was near the end advertising the next programme?

I love the series and find it really tense,then suddenly during one of the said tense moments you get a dodgy women telling you that "2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps is on next"

how strange !