1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 series 2 - Censored

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by encaser, Mar 26, 2003.

1. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I saw a US copy of (last weeks B2 airing) 24 ep. 6 11a.m - 12p.m and noted that when Tony gives Reza the racial/ethnic profiling speech he specifically highlights the London Finsbury Mosque as a known terrorist recruitment base. This part of his reasoning to Reza was edited on both the B3 and B2 outings - it starts his argument off conveniently! 24 is nervingly close in obvious ways to current/potential events - a search on google for London Finsbury Park Mosque brings up scary police raided acquisitions - and so I'm not surprised it was cut but it makes me wonder if the beeb will snip anything else. In fact, last week I was questioning to myself whether the war would result in it's being pulled as is usually the case for sensitive topic related material, so perhaps this was the beebs compromise.

2. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting. Didn't notice that one!;)

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Encaser,

I'll get in touch with the BBC, and see what they have to say. Will post a response later on tomorrow - 27th March.

Pooch

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Morning,

Well, I telephoned the BBC a few minutes ago, and this is what I have been told.

Firstly, "24: Day 2" will continue every Sunday, despite the current political/war situation!:clap: They have NO PLANS to pull any of the episodes, at the moment!

Secondly, no edits to any of the show have been made by the BBC themselves, except for the very first episode, which included 2 "Ford" adverts at the beginning and end of the show, starring Keifer Sutherland! This is only because the BBC is not allowed to carry advertising for non-BBC-related items, e.g. cars, etc.

However, because the BBC is supplied with the episodes of the show from 20th Century Fox, in London, the episodes MAY be pre-edited by Fox themselves, if they feel that the uncut version might be seen to be insensitive, too controversial, or untimely.

And, bearing in mind Fox are the same company that have permanently pulled "The Lone Gunmen" Pilot Episode (which dealt with a plane being piloted into the World Trade Centre) from worldwide distribution, it may be the case they previewd "24" Episode 6, and edited the "London Finsbury Mosque" comment out.

I'll see if I can dig out anything else, but I hope this will help you temporarily.

Pooch

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

Okay, I've found out the information, direct from a very helpful lady at 20th Century Fox TV, in London.

Right, episode 6 (11am-Noon) WAS CENSORED to remove the London Finsbury Mosque reference. The reason is actually what Encaser suspected. Basically, when the script was written, the writers included this reference purely because they knew of a Mosque in London, with that name. So, they included it for name-only reference, nothing more. Obviously, since that time, there has been raids on that particular Mosque, and hence it was 20th Century Fox in London, themselves, who made the edits to this episode, to remove the Finsbury Mosque reference. It was considered by them, to be too much of a "political hot potato" to leave in.

If your next question is "Will this scene be in the UK DVD release", I'm afraid the answer is 99% certain to be a big, fat "no".

Fox did tell me that they don't plan to edit or censor anything else from the rest of the series, although that doesn't mean the BBC won't do so, if the war situation gets way too close for comfort.

Ultimately, what this means is, that when pre-ordering "24: Day 2", I would recommend importing a non-European version of the series, as this will contain the uncut episode 1, and uncut episode 6.

I hope this now clarifies what you all wanted to know!

Pooch

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    What a thorough investigation.:clap: Well done Pooch:smashin:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well done Pooch i will be ordering the R1 version now for definite,
    PS any idea of release?

8. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah me too I guess. I haven't seen any of s2 yet (so please no spoilers without warning :lesson: ). I only watched s1 on DVD for the first time a few weeks ago, and absolutely loved it. Just a shame I didn't see it sooner or I would have watched s2 on BBC

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :cool: Glad to be of service!

With regards to importing the R1 edition of "24: Day Two", don't forget folks, that the US saw a slightly shorter edit of each episode in Season 1, to that which aired in the UK and the rest of Europe.

As such, the definitive version for Season 1, was the UK release. I don't know if the same thing will happen with "24: Day Two". So, people, you may wish to wait until the whole show has completed airing, and we get more details from Fox, both here and abroad, before making any hasty pre-orders!

And, alas, no release date info yet. At an educated guess, the UK release will probably be around October/November of this year, with a US release around February 2004.

Pooch

10. Frank

Frank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wel I 'pre-ordered' my R1 set, got it weeks after the uk release, paid more, and now find out I got a cut version! Looks like I'll stick to UK websites in future. Serves me right for being greedy I suppose.

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    This thread has got ironic. I tell you all 24 has been cut and...