1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 - NO SPOILERS please.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gary D, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Its only 2 weeks now until i start on my "3rd Annual 24fest weekend" (All 24 episodes in 2 days)

I was just wondering what 24 fans think of the jacks 3rd bad day? is it as good as the previous 2 days?

please guys no spoilers - i dont even know the premise this time round (And i really dont want to know) i just want general impressions.

cheers

Gary

2. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never saw the first two series....although a friend is lending me both sets.

I am watching the 3rd series and it is great, a really original series which doesn't seem afraid to buck the trends and throws in some real shocks and twists.

I have heard fans say that it is not as good as the first two - the first two must be really special.

3. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoy this show immensely and it still has the nail biting effect the first two seasons did. In some ways, this year is almost more complex with unexpected twists that I never saw coming :confused: I usually record about 8 episodes onto a tape and watch at my leisure as I can't be satisfied with just one episode, and could never wait a week in between.

Enjoy your 24 marathon - your head will be crammed trying to keep up with subplots and character allegiances but its worth it.

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    a word from ME :) your gonna get the most biased perspective from me lol 24 : S3 is excellent. thats it !!!!!! if you like S1 & S2 you will not be dissapointed and its more & more shocking in plot as it goes along. the last 6 ep's are amoung some of the best they havew ever made IMO and keifer's :)

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thanks guys, i cant wait now. I loved season 1, season was great except for the "Kim in peril storylines".

for those of you who haven't done a 24fest - take:

1 season of 24
    loads of food
    loads of beer
    the phone off the hook
    tell all your friends and family that you are going away for the weekend.

start at midday on Saturday then pull your hair out at the ticking clock.

i really cant wait - its going to be fab - one of my fav weekends of the year.

Gary

6. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I thought they milked that a little too much as well and in the end it became almost predictable to what would happen to Kim next.
    I only started getting into 24 about 4 months ago. I bought season 1 and started watching it at about 6.00pm on Saturday a while back and I found it very hard to stop watching them. In the end I think I went to bed about 4am and carried on watching Sunday afternoon. Finished season one in under a week, then ordered season 2 and once again had me hooked.
    Can't wait for S3 to be released. :cool:

7. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious - when you say you'll be watching them in 2 weeks time, do you have them recorded off Sky ? I ask because the boxset has been put back to 9th August !!

I started to watch it on Sky One but only stuck it for 5 or 6 episodes - the ad breaks ruined all the atmosphere IMO - a friend "acquired" the remaining episodes and I was able to watch the rest of the season ad-free - soooooooo much better.

As for the quality of this third season - there was a bit in the middle where I thought it had "jumped the shark" but boy, did it get good - the last half dozen or so were awesome.

Roll on day 4 !!!

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i'll be watching them on the retail DVD - i working the business, just phoned our supplier and they tell me that its still on course for 26th july indeed they are expecting stock to be delivered by the end of the week.

i dont know what the deal is with Aug 9th thing. i've just checked a load of websites and they are reporting the 9th. i'm not sure that it will matter to me as i can have it has soon as it arrives (dont have to wait for shops to put it on the shelf :clap: )

Not sure if my supplier is wrong i'll just have to see. if i do have to wait it wont be that long its not like waiting for Blade Runner or a decent copy of Goodfellas (dam you Warners - dam you!!!!)

Gary

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Prepare to be disappointed and bored.
    The 3rd series of 24 was a huge waste of time.
    Predictable and luicrous all at the same time.
    Definitely won't be watching the 4th series.

10. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I agree with Brogan although I did, overall, enjoy viewing series 3.

Series 2 was my fave so far. Maybe I didn't rate series 3 as highly because it was on Sky, with ad-breaks....maybe in time I will rate it more highly.

When your expectations are raised you are always going to be disappointed. Series 2 raised the bar whereas series 3 was at times, as Brogan said, ludicrous.

11. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Series 3 is definately the weakest so far. Don't get me wrong, some episodes had quite good plot twists, but some where just plain lazy writing. This series is also less violent. Yes, it is there but not quite so in your face. I'd give a 4th series a view but if it lagged, I'd bail out.

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    What some would call plot twists I would call a desperate attempt to drag out a 2 hour story over 24 episodes...
    The thread author has asked for no spoilers so I won't elaborate but some of the 'twists' were farcical and obviously so.

13. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I agree that season 3 is the weakest.
    Seasons 1 and 2 were such hard acts to follow that it was sort of
    inevitable that the third wouldn't be as good.
    I still enjoyed it though. It did take a while to get going and some of the sub-plots were weak but it still had me looking forward to each episode.
    I'll definately watch season 4 (even though Sky has the rights to show it :thumbsdow ) but I won't be looking forward to it as much.

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

If it's of any use, "24" Season 3, is being repeated, right from the beginning, on Sky 1 and Sky 1 Mix, starting towards the end of this week. Don't know why, but I presume it's to do with getting their money's worth out of the show, before Five get to show it.

Sorry, but I don't have the exact transmission days and times. However, I think it'll start Thursday of Friday of this week around 9 or 10pm.

Pooch

15. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    chees pooch, but i wouldnt watch it on TV anyway. I cant stand sky and what they do to TV.

The future of TV is on DVD!

Gary

16. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I thought series 2 was definately the best - some of the episodes in 3 were GOOD, but as per usual things get strung out a bit!

I was watching the series as it was released in the USA, there are a couple of nice blokes who dump it to their PC and then post them on the group alt.binaries.multimedia so was able to finish watching them as it finished in the states.

Cheers

Tone

17. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    season 3 is excellent. Where the first 2 seasons tended to lose their way half way through the season, memory loss & cougars anyone? before coming back strong for the finale, this time the story continued unerringly for the whole season, and had more twists and turns than you could possibly imagine. Perhaps this time around the finale was an anticlimax, but only because everything that came before it was so good. I had to wait and watch one episode a week, which practically killed me some weeks wanting to know what was coming next!

18. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    You're obviously easily pleased!
    It was dross and the 'story line' was a joke.
    Some of the twists they introduced to drag it out just made it farcical and completely unrealistic.

Can't really explain what I mean without introducing any spoilers.

And if I was as bad at my job as CTU are, we'd all be using bits of string and tin cans to communicate with...

19. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    well i've got it and i'm 4 hours in, so far i'm really enjoying it. I'm hoping to have the day done by friday so i'll post then and give my thoughts as it seems to be dividing some of you.

Gary

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    I am half way though Season 3 now and, without giving any spoilers away for those who are still watching, think this year is quite absurd. It seems to have picked up a bit but the 'resolution' to the first 'story' was totally unbelieveable IMHO.

Season 1 was IMHO the best as I was hooked from the explosive end to Episode One.

22. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 6 episodes in and hooked, so far i think its better than series 2.

23. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i've watched the first 9 hours now and its ok, its not as good as day 1 but its ok. although i have to agree that the end of the first story left a "roger moore" eye brow raised.

I liked day 2 but its best watched without the kim bits. (i'm sure kims bits are lovely but we never got to see those.)

Gary

24. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    the 3rd annual 24 fest is now over for another year. have to say that while i thoughly enjoyed Season 3 it was a little strungout in places. on the whole it was cool but not as good as the very first bad day.

I'm looking forward to season 4 - after all the events of season 3 - season 4 just has to be different.

all in all 8 out of 10.

thanks to everyone who posted to the thread.

Gary

25. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    Well I'm 13 episodes in and am enjoying it. So far Kim is nowhere near as annoying so that's a bonus. I realise there's still have the series to go yet so plenty of time to get on my....nerves! There's plenty of action, plenty of twists, plenty of tension....and oh yeah, leave your brain at the door. Great escapism. Better than any Big Brother sh*te any day of the week.

26. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finished watching this series and apart from a few moments during the second half of the show ( a certain incidental character with a gun and it comes during episode 23 and Milligans wife and what happens there which i won't say but i found it pretty silly) i thought it pretty excellent, i'd agree with the 8 outta 10 score,

27. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    For me it involved a key character and an escape/gun.
    That was one of the most stupid pieces of writing I have ever seen in a 'drama'.
    It was just too stupid for words and basically summed up the whole of Series 3 for me.

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Agreed. Season 3 was a bit of a disappointment. Still Season 4 may be better....

29. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I watched Seasons 1 & 2 on BBC, therefore no ad. breaks and thought it among the best TV shows of recent years. I have not got Sky and was bitterly disappointed when it was announced that it would not be shown on terrestrial TV.
    I was not inclined to buy it on DVD as after the first viewing who would want to lock themselves away for a couple of days again, knowing the plot twists etc.?

However, after visiting this thread a '24 weekend' sounded like a good idea. Then, the release date is put back to 9th August while I'm in Gran Canaria.
    I've just returned, found series 3 in our local Tesco at least as cheap as on-line and bought it.
    Yesterday afternoon, took the phone off the hook, locked the doors and windows and my wife( a big fan of 24 ) and I settled down for the first 12 hours!
    So far, it has to be said that the first 2 series were better ----- again so far. However, it has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience although having the next episode immediately available removes some of the tension from the ending of the previous episode --- if you know what I mean.
    Must go now, part 2 is about to begin !!

Brian.

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Brian, its the only way to watch it - i dont knowe how anyone watches it week on week.

Gary