24 - Missing scenes?

Red Kite

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard anything about the missing scenes in the uk 24 boxsets?
I have heard that in the boxset which is currently on sale that some scenes have been cut and that a complete uncut dvd boxset is to be released sometime in September.
Does anyone have any info on this???

:confused:

BBC are reporting on teletext that indeed 24 has been heavily cut on R2 DVD. :eek: :mad: :(

Originally posted by Lex
BBC are reporting on teletext that indeed 24 has been heavily cut on R2 DVD. :eek: :mad: :(

This is getting ridiculous. When are people going to actively do something about our Government BLATANTLY taking the p*ss out of us?

I have a theory that the latest Director of the BBFC has been installed to eventually provide the foil for the Government to be able to dismantle the BBFC... I hope I'm right. If not, we're all in for very dark days ahead.

I have personally checked all listings for "24" on the BBFC website and there is no indication that ANY of the episodes have been cut.

Therefore, if they have been in anyway altered, then this is at the hands of the distributors Fox Video.

Can someone please cut and paste whatever source of information that stated that there were cuts. Once again, this may just be a case of chinese whispers.

the episodes on disc 5 & 6 are the same as those aired in the us the same episodes that aired on bbc2 are longer episodes.

Acording to dvd times there is a recall at supplier level and discs 5 & 6 will be repressed and a way of exchanging the discs will be organised.

spoiler space dont read below if you have not seen 24 this outlines what is cut it was taken from the 24 forum

Footage which was cut from the US broadcasts due to commercial breaks.

Basically Extended Versions of some of the Episodes.

The Extra Footage featured in the UK editions of 24 were as follow:

7pm-8pm

Andre theaten's Harris with a Knife.

10pm-11pm

Teri Tells Nina she is pregnant

11pm-12 Midnight

The Gun Shootout with Jack and the Drazen's is about 2 minutes longer.

Nina's conversation with Teri after she catches her on the phone in the control room is also longer.

Teri tells her that she basically does not want Nina interfering with her and Jack's relationship as Nina knows she is pregnant and they are going to have a child.

In response Nina tells Teri she is being transfered from CTU and she won't be around much longer anyway.

This footage was not featured on the US broadcast's and is not featured on the R1 or R2 DVD version's of 24.

However the extra footage was featured on the UK VHS edition of 24 and was also featured on a program broadcast on BBC choice called 24 Heaven which was a behind the scenes look.

The main reason's for the difference between the two are:

On the VHS edition of 24 (you don't get any of the clock counter interruptions) basically the clock comes up for an ad break, then go's blank and goes to the adverts. After the ad's the clock comes back on a few minutes later after the ad's have past to stay in real-time format.

The VHS editon cuts straight to the clock counter which comes up after the ad break. (This is one of the main reason's Season 2 of 24 will be aired without any commercial breaks in the US) as it removed the tension from the program which it held with UK viewers being that the BBC do not broadcast commercials. Due to this reason the BBFC threw in the extra footage to make the length of the VHS edition on a whole accuarate to the DVD.

The DVD editon of 24 kept this in (minus the ad break) for fans and is probably the only reason the extra footage was not included due to as I metioned before "the different lengths".

Hi,

20th Century Fox - producers of some of the finest movies and TV shows ever, in history.

20th Century Fox - producers of some of the worst DVD balls-up ever!

Why?!? Obviously their Quality Control staff are non-existant!

Thank God I video taped the whole of "24" from BBC2. Advert free, DOG free, and uncut as well!

Pooch

Ok, I'm confused. I goy my 24 on Wed from CD WOW, now I havent seen iyt on BBC2 and havent started watching it on DVD so how do people know it has been cut? I havent read the spoiler above so I was thinking of contacting the people who made the dvd ( unless someone already has )

Have just this second spoken to Play, and they now all about the missing scenes, they said I can send it back with a note saying either to get a full refund or wait for the mod dvd, I'll send mine back and wait.

I also find the 2min of previously on 24 at the start of each episode very annoying

and why no play all feature

it really isn't asking a lot of the producers just to think about what they are doing before releasing dvds

This is odd. Unless I'm reading it awry, the item on the BBC website says that the incorrectly-released 24 DVDs contain more, not less, material than was screened in the UK:

A production mistake meant that UK fans who bought the £45 six-disc set got the US version of the show, which differs slightly from that shown on the BBC.

The DVDs, which contain all 24 episodes, include about 90 seconds of footage that was not aired on UK television.

The full story is at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/2212494.stm

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Hi,

This is definitely MOST odd. The BBC journalist writes:

"A production mistake meant that UK fans who bought the £45 six-disc set got the US version of the show, which differs slightly from that shown on the BBC. The DVDs, which contain all 24 episodes, include about 90 seconds of footage that was not aired on UK television."

But then, a spokesperson from Fox states:

"The UK DVD release of 24 is taken from the US version and therefore contains approximately 90 seconds of cuts from the UK aired programmes on the last five episodes," a statement from 20th Century Fox said."

So which is it? Do the DVD's contain the shorter US version, or the longer UK-transmitted edition, with the extra 90 seconds?

It's all rather suspect, isn't it. Maybe we can all get Jack Bauer to investigate, once he's mourned.... Well, I couldn't reveal that plot element, could I now?! :D

Pooch

Originally posted by PoochJD
once he's mourned....

Come on! That's too much of a spoiler, especially from a moderator!!! tsk!

They both say that there are bits missing!

contains approximately 90 seconds of cuts from the UK aired programmes

It must be an American speaking! Contains cuts means there is something taken away, not added!

DaveP

As more and more people get to hear and learn about the cuts applied to UK DVD's and buy from other uncut regions then and only then will distributors/BBFC change things.

I am of the firm belief unless it hits them in the pocket they simply will do nothing. In fact their justification in cuts, normally, is that it makes these DVD's available to the 'wider age' public.

From what I read '24' has been cut for UK release, but the US , as usual, get a clean uncut version, but some mistake has meant thet the wrong one materialised on UK shelves.

If this is true, KEEP YOUR COPY. Don't sell it. It's rare and better.

Did you know the old £5 notes which were issued with the serial number smudging are now apparently worth £15.

You can always capitalise on this situation !!

From what I read '24' has been cut for UK release, but the US , as usual, get a clean uncut version, but some mistake has meant thet the wrong one materialised on UK shelves.

no your wrong there the US is getting the same cut version as we have just now the cut version is the version that was shown in the US, the bbc showed a longer version of most of the last few episodes particularly the last episode this version is available on video but not dvd in the uk:confused:

all we wanted on dvd was the same version that aired in the UK

Hi Again,

Well, either way, FOX are to blame for yet ANOTHET cockup!

Are they ever going to learn, or is it just that Fox couldn't give a rats-behind about its customers?!

Pooch

Apparently, if you return the cut disc, Fox will send you out an uncut version. See BBC teletext DVD section for all the info.

Could anyone copy that Teletext info here for the benefit of those at work :) (ie me :) )

Thanks

Dave

here is the address

If consumers wish to replace discs 5 and 6, which are the only ones affected, they can write to the following address free of charge, including their original discs:
20th Century Fox
Freepost 38LON203004
London
W1E 3HG.

Discs will be available in approx 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for that. 4-5 weeks!!! OUCH!

Better finish it first then send them off :)

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom