1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'24' - finally bought it

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by GFS AV, Feb 7, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

I don't have Sky, which is why it's took me so long to know anything about the series. My mate actually recommended me to buy the DVD. So, at £17 I had to go for it.

Well, my Season 1 arrived on Friday and... i'm addicted. I'm already up to about 12:00 - 1:00 pm, and it just keeps getting better! It's the best TV series i've ever seen. The more you watch it, the deeper you get into it. Kiefer Sutherland is excellent. At £16.99 it's the best value DVD i've bought so far. I think i'll place my order for seasons 2 and 3 now :D

Anyone thinking about it, just buy it :laugh:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Still haven’t ordered mine. Finally got the all-clear form the wife but am going on holiday soon so putting it on hold until I come back. I too haven’t seen one episode so looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about! :)

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful mate, it is very addictive. If i'd watched it on tele, i'd have hated waiting till the next episode! It's one of those series' where, because it's on DVD, you HAVE to watch the next episode immediately... till you get tired.

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made mistake, bougth season 3 and saw it in one turn. 15 hours or so.
    I somehow feel it was wrong.

But yes, it is very addictive and at least season 3 is not the same crap second two was.

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh? is season 2 not up to much? I've just ordered it! :oops:

Never mind, if it's a patch on season 1 i'll be happy. I also ordered S3 :thumbsup:

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    It is still good, just not as good as Season 1 imo, i am currently about a third through season 3 and totally enjoying it.

You really need to watch Season 2 before Season 3 though.

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think all 3 series are brilliant. Don't worry.
    Series 2 is probably the weakest of the three so far, but 2 is still outstanding.

Loving Series 4, but am going to have to stop watching it, as waiting for the next week is killing me. Gonna wait for the boxset in August 8th I think.

8. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yes highly addictive!

I got the first series for Xmas having never seen an episode and was immediately hooked!! :thumbsup:

A week later after watching the whole lot, i ordered the next to series at the bargain prices of £17 each, i'm now about half way through series 3 and its soo good! I have the first few episode of series 4 on Sky+ to watch, but not until i finish Series 3! don't know if i can handle watching it on TV! :suicide:

Series 2 is the weakest series, but it will still blow any other TV series out of the water!

My only complaint is on the DVDs, the 1st series Menu screens are far superior to Series 2 & 3 (you would think they would improve!) however series 2 & 3 do have 5.1 :) and also there is a picture on the Menu when you select the episode which sometimes gives away whats going to happen!! I know i'm just being petty! :)

rob

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, the fact that the first series is in stereo only did put me off a bit. I am really looking forward to the 5.1 of series 2 and 3. Mind you, you get that engrossed in the story I dont think it really matters that much.

Do you guys think there is a big improvement sound-wise in Series 2 and 3, in repect to the 5.1?

10. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    That’s really strange I always thought the consensus was that series 2 is far better then series one, and that is saying something considering how good the first is. IMO series 3 is the weakest I just didn’t care about the characters in the first half of the series, but it kicked into top gear during the second half.

11. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THere is a difference, but like the above post says it is so engrossing it doesn't matter. there are wyas to improve it if your amp can output using the rear speakers, but it doesn't detract in my view, and it shouldn't stop anyone enjoying this superb series. :beer:

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    <----- See the Name, Top Show, Top Main Man Enough Said

13. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am gutted I dont have sky and I am thinking of signing up for the basic package so i can watch the new series as I dont know if i can wait for the DVD release. Terstrial TV has not even shown series 3 yet so i think it will be a long time for it to be shown ot TV.

The best series for me was the 3rd and each time I bought a series on DVD it was hard to just watch one or two episode at a time so i ended up watching between 4 - 6 episodes each night until it was over

14. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rented Disc 1 from screenselect. Excellent and i can see it getting better. Looking to buy it, where did you guys buy from? Play have it at £17.99... if i can save a £1 :D

15. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine when they frst came out but the ones on play are on offer but it does not say for how long

what season did you rent out?

16. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well, I just finished watching the first series. Took me about 3 months to get through it (renting). I can see why people enjoy it, the format is innovative and the pace is maintained. Some of the twists were unpredictable, though a lot weren't.

In the end I found it a bit of a slog, though the latter couple of episodes were OK. A good series but somehow I don't feel eagre to move onto series 2 just yet.

And the PQ was :thumbsdow ...PJ :)

18. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i did have them all on dvd, i think season 2 was the best, then season one, and season 3, although really enjoyable, i think the whole real time thing went out the window, and even more so on 4. Also 4 has had two many smaller plot lines, rather than one big one (eg assasination/nuclear bomb/virus). plus i hate audrey.

19. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    without giving it away to any one what the fudge are you on about. the final 12 episodes had more big shocking story lines and threats than in all of the previous 3 !!!! it was a roller coaster ride with loads of big moments.

P.S PJ, your going the right way at getting on my wrong side ;) get the S2 dvd set and start :lesson: :D

20. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thats what i mean, instead of one central plot, we get a plot, thats foiled, then a lead, gone, then a lead, gone, then a plot, gone, seems like you could understand the whole thing by watching last weeks, this weeks and the last 2.

dont get me wrong i still cant wait for the next episode, im a huge fan of the program, i just think theyre veering away from the original idea of the show. plus i hate audrey.

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    there is only one way to watch 24.

get up at 10am on saturday morning, close the curtains, turn off all phones, put in the first disc press play and watch 12 episodes straight. blow mind.... go to bed. toss and turn all night worrying about jack

get up at 10am on sunday morning, dont open the curtains or turn the phones on, put in disc 4 press play and watch the last 12 episodes straight. nerves shredded. at end moan that its another year till the next one. :mad:

Mrs D and i are starting to get excited about the thought of our "4th Annual 24 weekend" its like no other TV/Movie watch experiance, and i have to say its a hell of a ride.

It started because the 1st year i missed it on tv when everyone was raving about it so i thought i'd get the DVD. i just happened to put it in about half ten on saturdday morning. just to look at the picture quality, disc presentation etc. however, i couldn't turn it off, Mrs D and i sat there all day brains fried, the tension palpable in the air, sat eating junk food for two days, The HC booming out - bliss! :D and this year i've got a new screen to watch it on and a new amp :D triple bliss.

I tried watching it on TV the next year but it just didn't work with the weeks break. so we have the weekend in about 7 weeks time. so the planning will start to make sure the weekend is free of family and friends etc. that i've had a good diet on the run up, as i will consume no vitamins or minerals for two days. :D only pizza, and curry :D and tubs of Ben & Jerrys :D

try it if you can :smashin:

Gary

22. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ive never been able to have a "24 weekend" really as ive been a fan since the very start so the first time ive watched every single episode is on the tv. wether it be S1-2 on bbc or S3,4 on my Pc ;) all week by week. so they way people moan about it is beyond me as its just the norm for me now. one thing ive never ever had to put up with is ad's though i dont think i could handle it.

i just started S1 again a few days ago first time watching on my projector :D beats the very first time on my 14" portable but 24 is 24 :D im enjoying it on a 7ft screen though :D

23. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i understand that people cant as its a big time commitment or even just plain wanting to watch it when its aired. Its one of my fav weekends of the year.

That digital clock just dominates the weekend :clap: :clap: :clap:

whats Season 4 like? better/worse? (no plot please - dont like knowing the plot i dont even read the back of the DVD sleeve before watching :D )

Gary

24. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    slight bias here from my review. it rocked my world ;) loved all seasons i wont hear a bad word about them from me

25. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Season 4 is excellent, its the finale this weekend! :eek:

Its the first season i've watched on telly, i tell you the week long wait is very hard and the adverts slightly annoying, but it doesnt detract too much from the viewing pleasure! There are many moments in S4 that will have you clapping or gasping, like when..... no just kidding! :wink: I'd say its on a par with series 1 & 3:thumbsup: i'll probably enjoy it even more when watched on DVD.

Rob

26. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm about to watch the last few episodes of S4. It's a cracker. New friends and old, but still Jack!

27. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    cool, thanks guys :smashin: i'm really looking forward to it. it strane really i normal kn ow what film/tv show is about before i watch it - but the mystery really helps with this "what road are taking me down this time......? i wonder..... "

Gary

28. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I finshed watching Season 4 a few weeks ago. It certainly was a little different from the first 3 seasons.
    More broken up. Maybe its easyer to watch that way as people can enjoy it "in sections" as it were.

I also enjoyed the fact that season 4 was shot in Hi def and the picture was a lot nicer.

I hope all US shows are shot in hi def from now on!