1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 / 7 ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wawr, Dec 5, 2004.

1. wawr

wawr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi everyone Happy christmas & a great new year to you all... :thumbsup:
    ok now can i please ask for yet more advice, :lesson: i recently read in a hifi mag that its better to leave your AV kit on 24/7 as in never turn it off... so ive tried it, i have a dedicated cinema room at the heart is my DENON 3802 Its been on now for just about 2 weeks, when im not in my cinema watching dvd's its put on to the tuner mode it's not boiling as i thought it would, BUT !!! i have lost 1 of my surround back channels :oops:
    Im gutted about this but to be honest im not sure if its anything to do with leaving it on...According to the hifi mag you only get trouble when the system is going thru hot & cold cycles... like a light bulb it only blows when you swich it on...what do you people think ??? please let me have your views.... many thanks... byeeeee

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Have you tried the Test Tones to see if it's definitely dead?

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Obvious point, I know. But have you checked all the connections at the back and also on the speakers. Something may have got loose.

My Denon AVC-10SE stays on nearly permanently and has been on for most of the four years that I've had it, so I can't think that two weeks has killed yours.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You wouldn't believe how often my parents switch their hifi-stereo system on/off every day - and nothing has ever been damaged by that. 20 years and counting.

Leaving equipment on 24/7 is audiophile voodoo-nonsense and a waste of electricity. IMHO.

5. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I reckon that it's just a story put about by the electricity companies!

There's probably a small difference in sound for the first 30 minutes or so if you switch your amplifier off every time but not enough to justify the greenhouse gases from leaving everything switched on (unless of course you use green electricity).

The only thing that may wear out is the on/off switch!

6. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a myth. Valve equipment needs to be left on 24/7 both from a performance and a lifespan point of view and it definitely makes a difference. However, if you are talking about boxes of microchips then it's nonsense. It really doesn't make the slightest difference. my stereo amp (pio A400) has been going strong for about 15 years and that is constantly being turned on and off, sometimes even without stopping the source and never had a problem. Not sure why one of your channels is gone, try the speaker with different equipment or connected to a channel you know for a fact is working, try a different speaker on the channel you think is blown etc...

A mate of mine reckons his CD player sounds much better with the power cable plugged in upside down. If such steps were able to magically transform the performance of audio equipment do you not think that the manufacturers would do something about it. Bugger R&D and painstaking selection of components, just plug the power cable in the other way! I once swapped it round whilst at his house and he never noticed.

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm more from the "can't be bothered to turn it off/forget to turn it off" school rather than thinking it sounds better. :)

8. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I leave my stuff on all the time, but frankly I can't be bothered to switch everything on and off every time. When the stuff is on and not putting out any sound I don't think it draws all that much anyway.

9. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your's individually may not draw much but add them all up from everybody all over the world who does this and it makes quite a big drain on the worlds resources.

Sorry, I'm off to join Greenpeace now!

10. wawr

wawr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi , many thanks to everyone who took the time & trouble to reply with your views & advice, i have tried the test tone & that channell dont work at all, ive put the speaker in diff chanels & it works ok.. its just that channell from the amp... im gutted if im honest, im now looking for someone repair it..thanks again for your help.... byeeeee

11. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    used to leave both my hi-caps to my naim nac-82 and my cd-2 turned on all the time and i was convinced it made a big differance to the sound quality, have tried leaving my 3805 on for a couple of days and did not notice any differance in the sound quality at all imho