23rd December 2010

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Movies Podcast : 23rd December 2010

In this edition the team discuss the best and worst of 2010 in terms of film and Blu-ray discs. However, as you can imagine things don't go to plan...

Time: 0:53:02 Size: 51.01 mb. Direct Link

Please reply to this thread with your feedback. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine podcast guys.

Mostly agree, er apart from Mark "Shogun Assassin" Botwright :p. I know they pick on you Mark, but it always makes for a very funny show.

Think it was Phil with the 3D exclusive Blu Ray deals as the worst thing this year? Yeah 100% agree. What a joke. For a viewing medium which needs people to buy; (another) TV, Blu Ray player, maybe more glasses than being thrown into the deal and the few retail 3D BR's is mind bogglingly mental!!

How much harder do they want to make it for themselves? It begs the question how much does Hollywood want you to watch 3D at home. Remember, they came up with the idea to try and get people into the cinemas again and not just to download the movies illegally. Same as to why HD DVD and Blu Ray was 'invented'.

But within what seemed like months, the TV companies were on the 3D bandwagon. I'm convinced Hollywood is gutted, and so they just don't care about the limited 3D Blu Rays. They get large sums of money for the deals, so why else should they care. I'd love to know how much Panasonic paid for Avatar.

But it can and will backfire. Sky is showing Avatar in 3D this Christmas, so anyone without a Panny TV can just watch and record it. NOt quite the same bit-rate of course, but you think anyone would care? It's Avatar in 3D without paying silly prices.

And of course you can still acquire pirated copies of ALL the 3D films. If you know where to look there are full rips to burn to a BD50.

So as a second choice of bad HD this year film wise, there is only one choice for me.

Predator Ultimate Hunter. Surely NOTHING can topple this pile of utter, contemptible, horse sh*t eating, rotating piece of plastic crap!! To borrow Mark Kermode's line,

Everyone involved should thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

Have to say, Toy Story 3 is just about my winner for new film, though Santa is bringing me Inception so we'll see. the Expendables was a great laugh, but could have been better.

Back catalog wise, I've newly purchased this year, but released 2008 I think,

Criterion's The Third Man which is brilliant but I wished they would stop region locking their films so that I dont have to go round to my region free BR player owing mate. But I enjoyed The Day The Earth Stood Still ( obviously 1951 version ) more. Treated with great affection it's quite incredible this was done by Fox. The same who have the aforementioned Predator. Go figure.

Psycho was also just brilliant, film, PQ and SQ wise

Anyways, I'm done. Great podcast as always guys, just stop picking on Mark. Poor bloke. But then again....Shogun Assassin!!!?

:rotfl: Jumping to Mark's rescue after having watched Shogun Assassin recently, it is an awesome film :devil: it's no small feat to make a movie out of two existing movies and especially one that holds up on it's own ;)

I think Ger should at least watch it as he's always banging on about 'man movies' and they don't get any more 'manly' than this :devil: :D

Not sure Phil should watch it though after mentioning his favourite chick flick :rotfl: :hiya:

So Shogun Assassin, top film (but still not as good as Shogun) ;)

What is your favourite Lone Wolf & Cub movie Mark ? I have watched up to Baby Cart From Hades so far from my DVD boxset and I think the movies seem to be getting better as they go on :smashin:

Hi Paul,

I defo plan on watching the Mitsubishi Shogun Assassin movie at some stage but I've been avoiding it, as I don't really want to give Mark the satisfaction of me liking it :devil:

And, just to add, Phil edited this purposely to make me seem semi-retarded, and I'm not actually like that in RL :laugh:

Happy New Year,

Ger :thumbsup:

two-girls-one-cupper.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I defo plan on watching the Mitsubishi Shogun Assassin movie at some stage but I've been avoiding it, as I don't really want to give Mark the satisfaction of me liking it :devil:

And, just to add, Phil edited this purposely to make me seem semi-retarded, and I'm not actually like that in RL :laugh:

Happy New Year,

Ger :thumbsup:

I think you'll like it :cool: Guns are for girls :devil:

I'm sure Mark will forgive you for liking it :D But at least we were right about the ending of Se7en though, as the girlfriend & baby are clearly the last two :smashin:

Have a good New Year :thumbsup:

:rotfl: Jumping to Mark's rescue after having watched Shogun Assassin recently, it is an awesome film :devil: it's no small feat to make a movie out of two existing movies and especially one that holds up on it's own ;)

I think Ger should at least watch it as he's always banging on about 'man movies' and they don't get any more 'manly' than this :devil: :D

Not sure Phil should watch it though after mentioning his favourite chick flick :rotfl: :hiya:

So Shogun Assassin, top film (but still not as good as Shogun) ;)

What is your favourite Lone Wolf & Cub movie Mark ? I have watched up to Baby Cart From Hades so far from my DVD boxset and I think the movies seem to be getting better as they go on :smashin:

Cheers, i need all the allies i can get in my task of educating the rest about the awesomeness of such films. :smashin:

I still favour the second film, Baby Cart at the River Styx simply because of the final fight sequence amid the sand dunes - i prefer the instalments directed by Kenji Misumi but the last film (not one of his) does have a pretty mammoth body count. :devil:

Another great show, I actually laughed out a loud when Shogun Assassin was mentioned again and again, is this the new mocking point just like the "Seven" debacle earlier in the year ;)

I was hoping someone would mention the A-Team for fave films of the year, it was definately one of mine, rite up there with Expendables (Oh btw the automatic shotgun is the AA12 - also used in Predators).

Back catalogue release that was an interesting one, but i think id have picked Alien. My good lady got me the box set for crimbo and we watched it together, we both still jumped a few times even though we have both seen the film before, picture was great, sound is eerie and atmospheric - ace movie :)

I think after all the slagging about Shogun Assassin ill need to get a hold of it and give it a watch, It cant be as bad as some of the other Asian cinema ive watched in the past (some of that was dire) - I love Zatoichi and also Azumi both have epic body counts :devil:

anyway hope you guys had a great xmas and new year and look forward to the next episode :smashin:

Great poddy guys, as entertaining and informative as ever. Dont think Mark is ever going to live down the whole Shogun Assassin debacle is he? Loved how Simon didnt even get chance to justify his decision of Toy Story 3 fully and got pre-empted in his introduction :) Keep it up guys as its always a joy to listen to these poddys, im still listening to the May one with the Seven debate on it as theyre so funny and witty.

Last edited:
Tip= when the sales are on make sure Shogun Assassin and his Knifed shopping trolley with Kid i might add, is not there on the day :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Must say Ger after watching most of Inception (havent seen the ending yet so please no spoilers) i have to agree with you that the picture, sound and story so far has been excellent an it is a cracking film. Havent been that confused with it so far and have understood whats been happening throughout as present, got to the part where
the guys are in the bankers' sons inception/dream (sorry cant remember names lol) and they just used a meaty greande launcher to destroy someone off the top of an opposite building.
Must say though, top stuff from Nolan though as expected from the equally brilliant Dark Knight film.

Finished Inception and although tricky to understand, me and the mrs got there in the end and it was left off in a perfect place for inception 2 to follow it up in the future, hopefully. I feel i may have let you guys down and have gone down the ignorance path of buying films and have picked up Predators on Blu, the triple play version was going for a tenner so thought id give it a go, surely it cant be that bad..... can it?????

It has more cheese than the whole of France and will prob make you puke. If you consume booze or narcotics prior to viewing it will prob be ok :smashin:

the first person you see in Predators is Adrien Brody (The Pianist) first thought was Christ now he has somewhere else hide:rolleyes: then i thought Oh dear get out of this one Ha:D Crap ending though as Brody does not get ripped to bits :(.

After listening again, i hope that you were being sarcastic about the trapped miners actually mining for Chilli's Ger :rotfl:

lols - I don't even remember what I said dude and I know it'll be cringeworthy if I listen to myself!!! :devil:

Still can't get over this podcast, it's pure hilarity all the way through and had
me laughing to myself (again) whilst on the train home when my car was broken :) made my day brighter for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom