23 inch LCD – Samsung v Panasonic

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by alex812, Jan 3, 2007.

1. alex812

alex812
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering either Samsung Samsung LE23R71 or Panasonic Viera TX23LXD60.

My main (almost only) selection criteria are picture quality and reliability, in the latter case especially the likelihood of defective pixels. Whilst I appreciate dead/stuck pixels go with the LCD territory, I have noticed more negative posts regarding Samsung in this respect than for Panasonic.

In my application (bedroom TV), the Freeview tuner of the Panasonic is of little interest as I can’t get Freeview in this area. But I can live with paying the extra if that gets me superior picture quality per se. If it doesn’t then might as well go for the cheaper Samsung.

Have seen both these sets locally, but the ambient lighting conditions and the ‘wick-full-up’ of in-store exhibits make it difficult to make a real world judgement. So owner experiences much appreciated.

Alex

2. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Recently bought the Panasonic Viera TX23LXD60, to replace a broken old Panny TX22-LT2 (long story).

Quality of materials used on on the case of the TX23LXD60 is not as nice as previous Pannys, or the more expensive Pannys/Sonys/Toshibas, but it's not going to fall to pieces.

IMO the Samsung "looks" quite nice - can't comment on the PQ. Note the way the connections are aligned on the back panel, be careful you if you decide to wall-mount as you will need the space for the SCART leads to stick out. So be careful buy a suitable bracket.

The picture on the TX23LXD60 is getting better day by day (i was initially underwhelmed - black levels and wide viewing angle apart - but other entries on these forums do recommend 'running-in' a LCD, which in this experience appears to be true). You do also need to be at least 2m/8ft-ish away from the screen, otherwise noise is noticeable on images.

On both my Pannys, dead pixels have not been an issue. :thumbsup:

3. alex812

alex812
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks RohanM - had just about given up getting an answer on this query.

Just measured viewing distance and it's just 8 feet. Guess I'd better go and have another look bearing this in mind.

Alex