1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22" ws OR 20" FS LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by greeny, Aug 11, 2003.

1. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mother in Law wants an LCD TV for her lounge. One of her Daughters has the Panasonic 22" widescreen and she likes it so much she want's one (She has a smallish place to put it so the slim nature is an advantage).

So I've been tasked with the job of getting one. So off down to John Lewis where the Panny, Samsung and Sharp 22" Widescreen were on demo. Anyway the Blacks on the Samsung weren'y good enough for me and the panny is £400 more than the Sharp, so I had sort of decided the sharp was the one, reading reviews backed up this decision. The model is LC-22SV2E.

Anyway I picked up a brochure and looking through Sharp also do some Fullscreen 20" models, Now as my M-i-L doesn't watch DVD's then normal TV is the priority and a 20" FS will produce a bigger image than a 22" WS. Also the 20" FS are £300-£400 cheaper, The specs look the same (ish) but I can't find any reviews and haven't seen them in the flesh.

So the question is are the LC20B2EA and LC20E1E any good, i.e as good as the 22" WS model. Anyone got these, or seen them, or seen reviews of them??

2. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would have thought that the screen format was really personal preference.

All I would say though is that more and more black lines are creeping onto terrestrial screens at the top and bottom. I think that the broadcasters are pushing us slowly towards a widescreen only market, albeit very slowly.

For example, all new dramas seem to be filmed in 14:9 these days rather than 4:3.

As far as the screens go, looking on their website they have 2 different 20" FS models

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the LC-22SVE and the LC15E1E, and whilst the specs are almost identical, I can tell you that the 22" has a much better picture. I think it has a better line doubler and/or scaler than the 4:3 model. There are a lot more artifacts in the picture when compared to the 22".
    Bear in mind that the widecreen model has a mode so that 4:3 programming can fill the whole screen, and since everything will be widecreen eventually, the 22" is a better long term investment.
    Also make sure you don't pay more than £1200 for the 22", I saw it in Currys the other day for £2000!:eek:

4. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gmt Steve.

If I go for the 22" I may get it from John Lewis where it is £1400(ish) but includes a 5 year guarantee.

I've seen these for around £1150 -1200 online but to add a 5 year warrenty is another £200ish so not much difference.