• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

22, Just passed test, have 1k, what car?

loz_the_guru

As per title really? I'm looking for a second hand smaller car for about a grand. Reliability is a big thing, I dont want to have to keep shelling out for bits that keep going wrong. So has to be cheap to start with, and cheap to run/maintain.

Someone recommended an old Seat Ibiza, I quite like them but thought i'd ask here first. Oh and engines below 1.6 really, otherwise insurance will kill me.

loz_the_guru

Yep ive just had a perooze of that thread which lead me to start this, as my needs are a little different. I'm not looking for something thats the cheapest thing ever to insure, just cheapish (read: not ridiculously powerful) and has a reasonable reliability record.

Tommy Kaira

Does the grand need to cover insurance too? I hope not! How much do you have for the insurance?

Something like a Fiesta, Corsa or Mini(proper british one, not that German crap!) would be the best bet. Any car for £1000 has a good chance of needing work to keep it on the road so go for something with easily available, cheap parts.

Tommy Kaira

Micra? Pretty much bulletproof, cheap to buy, insure and run.

Oh, forget what I said! I'd get one of them! /\ :D Anything Nissan or Toyota will go on for ages!

loz_the_guru

Ooo mini, I am taken by that. The problem is i'm fairly rubbish with cars, so any work would be expensive due to labour costs.

The £1000 doesnt have to cover insurance costs, that will be paid for by a third party. Ideally i'd like to keep it at under £1000 though.

jenic: dont think I could bring myself to buy a Micra im afraid!

Tommy: can't tell if that second post is sarcasm....is a small Toyota really a good option (presumably a yaris?)

Last edited:

Tommy Kaira

No, for the first time ever I wasn't being sarcastic!

Mini's are great. That's what I got for my girlfriend when she passed her test last year. They are old and British so they can break down from time to time but are cheap as chips to get fixed, even at a garage.

Pretty much any Nissan or Toyota shouldn't give you much trouble but if things do go wrong, parts can be expensive (Toyota especially).

Nothing will be as cheap to insure as the mini though.

dan54

Best car under a grand is a KA.Cheap to fix,mates got one on 155k still going strong-services it every time Haleys comet goes past and it still keeps going.Wouldnt get in a mini let alone own one-dread to think what the crash rating on one would be.

loz_the_guru

Best car under a grand is a KA.Cheap to fix,mates got one on 155k still going strong-services it every time Haleys comet goes past and it still keeps going.Wouldnt get in a mini let alone own one-dread to think what the crash rating on one would be.

Couldnt bring myself to buy a KA either i'm afraid! Point about the Mini is something I should consider though :thumbsup:

No, for the first time ever I wasn't being sarcastic!

Mini's are great. That's what I got for my girlfriend when she passed her test last year. They are old and British so they can break down from time to time but are cheap as chips to get fixed, even at a garage.

Pretty much any Nissan or Toyota shouldn't give you much trouble but if things do go wrong, parts can be expensive (Toyota especially).

Nothing will be as cheap to insure as the mini though.

Okay thanks for that, not as taken by the Mini as I was originally (forgot how expensive they were!).

Mate has recommended a Seat Ibiza or a VW Golf. Any thoughts on these? Personally I think both look quite nice, and insurance quotes on 1.4 models have come back favourably too. I'd assume both are reasonably reliable but again parts are expensive, although as Golfs are so common i'd guess this works in their favour?

Tommy Kaira

Dan,
I did the crash testing on the KA...tell your mate not to hit anything if he's got anything heavy in the boot! :nono:;)

Loz,
Yeah, they are both pretty reliable and there are loads of VW breakers yards full of golfs so you should be OK there too.

Alot has to do with the car itself. My sister has a Golf and every time she uses it something stops working or falls off. I also know people with classic Alfas that don't look after them and they've been going for ever without a problem. Just make sure you know what to look for or take along someone who does.

Good luck with the search. At the end of the day, any car is better than taking the bus! :D

leeince

Distinguished Member
Its always a safe option to go with a ford because parts are cheap and they are simple cars but the seat ibiza is a good idea too, they are basically a vw and those engines run forever!!

Dan,
I did the crash testing on the KA...tell your mate not to hit anything if he's got anything heavy in the boot! :nono:;)

I thought they used dummies for that.:D

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Maybe a Vauxhall Corsa? For that money you will probably get something around 1997 or 1998.

2 years ago we bought a 1998 Corsa for £940. In the 2 years we had it the only thing we changed were the usual consumables (brakes, clutch, timing belt).

cdbuk

Standard Member
Maybe a Vauxhall Corsa? For that money you will probably get something around 1997 or 1998.

2 years ago we bought a 1998 Corsa for £940. In the 2 years we had it the only thing we changed were the usual consumables (brakes, clutch, timing belt).

Another thumbs up for the Corsa - I got one (1997, 1.2) a couple of years ago for a grand from eBay and have had no major problems with it.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Yep. I had a 1.4 and at 20 my quote for insurance was around £1600. For your age it will probably be closer to the £1000 mark.

Tommy Kaira

I thought they used dummies for that.:D

:D:rotfl::D It would explain a lot!

Leeince is right VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi are all basically the same thing. Very reliable but some parts can be expensive.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
your in a poor position at the moment scrappage is removing quite a bit of old stock that would have sold for £995 P/X clearence not so long ago, that and the lack of new car changes, means that there are fewer cheap cars knocking about.

i wouldn't worry specifically about makes and models apart from insurance your looking at cars that are nearing the end of there lives, I have had cars i have driven to 179k and 225k and with high mileage comes maintenance low mileage cars are often skiped services as they only do 6k but you still need to change expensive bits like Cam belts etc even if mileage is low. well maintained higher mileage cars can be a bargain, low mileage shopping carts expensive! I would suggest you get out there and drive as many cars around £2k you can find!

02 plate 1.1 Saxo are in your price range as are 02 Feista 1.3, 01/02 106. Corsa 01/02 1.2 (don't get the 1.0 if possible)

More interesting cars for similar money are 02 MG ZS , 02/03 Rover 25 1.4, 02 Saxo VTS!, 02 PRotn Satira 1.5 (impressive handling bargain bucket!)
2000 MGF! or 99 306 Cabrio!

Tommy Kaira

... 02 PRotn Satira 1.5 (impressive handling bargain bucket!)

Chassis by Lotus! In fact, Proton OWN(d) Lotus so a nice little car but insurance may kill you. If not let us know!

Last edited:

loz_the_guru

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll certainly be having a look at some of those suggestions HD, hopefully i'll find something sooner rather than later.

EDIT: Alas, insurance on a 1.3 Satria was 1600 :( so a no go.

Last edited:

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
As per title really? I'm looking for a second hand smaller car for about a grand. Reliability is a big thing, I dont want to have to keep shelling out for bits that keep going wrong. So has to be cheap to start with, and cheap to run/maintain.

Someone recommended an old Seat Ibiza, I quite like them but thought i'd ask here first. Oh and engines below 1.6 really, otherwise insurance will kill me.

go for a low insurance grp car, forget about what its like, its a 3 year pain exercise

parkers allows you to search for cars by insurance grps

UK Car Insurance Advice | Car Insurance Groups | Advice on Motor Car Insurance - Parker's

id go for a grp1 or 2 car like a 1.0 corsa

after 3 years of pain you will have 3 years NCB and be 25 which will mean you will get sensible quotes and can get a bimmer etc if you like

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom