1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 in 16x9 HDTV ready LCD TV for <GBP1200.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by LV426, Apr 25, 2003.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    Samsung LW22A13WX/XEU is on sale at Unbeatable for GBP1186.96 + GBP7.99 shipping. As of this morning they claim to have stock.

I took delivery of mine yesterday. Here is a brief personal review.

Appearance - similar to the Panasonic 22 inch. Speakers are below the screen. A very neat design.

The LCD panel is a high definition panel (1280 x 720 pixels) which is much higher than either the Panasonic or Sharp Aquos offerings (848x480). This makes the screen capable of rendering HDTV at its full resolution.

The picture quality is excellent. Geometry is perfect as to be expected with a flat panel, and colour uniformity is good by LCD standards. Mine arrived with no detectable dead pixels. The 'speed' of the LCDs seems to be pretty quick, as evidenced by very limited blurring of fast scrolling titles. There is no evidence of digital processing artefacts, when used with DVD, Freeview, VHS and Analogue signals; the inbuilt scaler/deinterlacer does a creditable job. Black levels are no more than average for an LCD, poor by CRT standards. The viewing angle is excellent, at least 150 degrees in both planes.

It has various aspect ratios - 4x3, 16x9, 4x3 zoom, a 'panorama' mode and another zoom that vertically stretches the image (why?). It auto detects the PALplus (line 23) widescreen switching signal. On a mixed-mode DVD, it switches ratios without any flashing, bouncing or other detectable disturbance in the onscreen image.

It has 2 scarts (one RGB enabled) and separate Composite, SVideo and Audio L&R inputs. It also has a DVI input and comes with a DVI cable, plus PC cables for both video and sound (minijack). SVideo, Composite and Audio cables are also supplied.

All the setups and options are driven by on-screen menus, with the more common ones (eg screen aspect ratio) also offered by direct remote control commands.

It has an onboard analog tuner, compatible with most (all?) European standards and has teletext. It accepts NTSC via the AV inputs (I've only tested it with composite as yet). The auto set up found all the TV channels in my area, including many that come from distant transmitters. It identified and sorted them correctly, but failed to identify the strongest signal for each channel. So, it put a weaker BBC2 at position 2. I had some manual resorting to do, but it wasn't difficult.

It runs on 14 volts DC and comes with an external mains power supply that is quite large, but the supplied DC cable is long enough that this can be hidden away from the set. The instruction manual has clearly been translated from Korean by someone with only reasonable knowledge of English - which makes for entertainment in its own right.

It has an integral stand which can be removed. Two little covers are supplied to cover up the holes for the stand. A standard wall mount if required has to be bought separately.

Two criticisms: Black level (not something that bothers me hugely) and, in one corner of the screen, I guess there is a slight irregularity in the polarising plate as, on a dark image, it looks a bit like it has been wiped with a damp cloth. This isn't visible from normal viewing distances and doesn't intrude. Aside from that, I like it and, at this price, I'd contend that it is the best offering for this size and type of device presently available.

Details here:
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/product_main.asp?sku=110825

2. lilo

lilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,
    Having bought one, do you or anyone else know whether the VCR/DVD buttons at the top of the remote do anything? Do they only control Samsung kit or can they be programmed for other makes?
    BTW thanks for your review. I too compared the Samsung with some of the others and for 1100 the LW22A13 is great value. No apparent defects, good quality and great features especially the picture in picture and connectivity. Professional service and reliable delivery from Lets Go Digital.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    I'm pretty sure that this is a multifunction remote that can be programmed to operate other kit. HOWEVER, even Samsung themselves have, as yet, failed to tell be exactly how to do this. I have tried programming a few numbers at random, without success, and got bored doing so. I raised a query with them back in May, had a courtesy call back (only) but no further information.....as yet. It was a little curious that, when I did call, the CSR had no 'knowledge' of this model's existence!!!!

CARE: During my experimentation, I did manage to stop the remote from working the TV at all. And I did manage to recover it. It is some months ago, and I don't remember how. I suggest that you don't experiment with this.......