1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22" - 23" Reccomendation please.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by welshpaul, Dec 5, 2004.

1. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Only looking to spend up to £800 so can anyone reccomend a set?

Ideally need one about 23".

2. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone help??

3. NBrice

NBrice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Yes.

There are various options, and it all depends on what it is you're after.

I personally recommend the 23" Sony KLV-L23M1 (£750 RGB Direct), because it has by far the best picture quality and viewing range of any 23" LCD out there. The disadvantage is that it does not support DVI (HDCP) or HDMI connections so althought it supports HDTV via component, it will not support the majority of Sky's upcoming HDTV services in 2006, and there may be some problems viewing HD-DVDs in HD mode too.

Alternatively, the Philips 23PF9946 (£800 RGB Direct) looks incredibly stylish and has the DVI input (with HDCP) which is going to mean future-proof reliability. However, the viewing range on this screen leaves much to be desired. Although Philips claim 170 degrees, even a small movement away from the centre of the screen lowers contrast severely. Do your own test - look at both TVs in Currys or John Lewis, and you'll see what I mean. The Sony doesn't change no matter where you stand, but the Philips is severe!

Personally, I'd rather have the better picture quality and lack the DVI. What's the point in DVI if the picture quality on the screen is poor anyway? I hope you understand my point.

Other options are Hitachi's 22" which can be picked up for about £600, has good picture quality but unfortunately you will need to use VGA input for any type of HD, and it lacks both component and DVI inputs.

Samsung's 22" has DVI HDCP input but that's about it on the featureless simple TV.

Panasonic's 22" is way overpriced, and you'd be much better going for the Sony as it's an inch bigger and this TV doesn't support DVI anyway.

JVC's 23" is very nice looking but I'm not so sure on the contrast, but could have been the feed.

So.... IMO, go for the Sony KLV-L23M1. Sadly lacking DVI, but has the best picture quality, colour, and viewing angle BY FAR - just like its bigger 32" brother.

4. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for the sony klv-l23m1, got one here and it's great, despite what other people say and bash it. (and can be had for £719 from digitaldirect)

5. AVSPUTNIK

AVSPUTNIK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I vote for the sony klv-l23m1 its got a great picture, but does yours buzz? You can hear a slight buzzing noise when it is muted, does yours do the same?

6. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only if I stick my ear against the top of the panel (where the PSU is).
    Is it the speakers that are buzzing, or something inside the unit?

7. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do you think the prices will come down much after Christmas