1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22'/23' LCD help needed

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was looking into getting either a Sharp LC-22SV2E or Philips 23PF9945 this christmas but need some help in deciding which is best. I've seen both screens have had great reviews in recent publications with regards to TV/DVD viewing but was wondering if anyone could tell me what PC performace is like? As this screen will be used as a PC monitor (aswel as TV/XBOX) I would like to know if any of the above screens are capable of displaying full 1280 x 768 PC images thru either 15pin D Sub or DVI due to me once reading a lot of hi res LCD TV's restrict the PC inputs to VGA 640 x 480:( .

Regards,

:clap: :clap: Inter Milan 1 - 5 ARSENAL:clap: :clap:

2. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just seen the spec's for the Sharp and noticed it's a W-VGA screen so I think I'll forget that screen altogether. Anyone got any experiences with the Philips as a PC monitor?

Cheers,

3. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can't speak for the 23" but i have the 17" Philips (17PF9945). They both have a WXGA panel and I have found the PC performance to be very good, much better than the screen on my ibook.

4. cjc1

cjc1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Sony KLV23HR2. Also I thought the 23" Phillips had been withdrawn and the likes of Dixons were sell off "cheap"

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What makes you think that ? :)

6. cjc1

cjc1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mostly comments on this forum

7. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info guys, and I did notice dixons suprisingly low price on the 23' Philips. That's my xmas present sorted then
    :D

Cheers,

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sharp 22 doesnt have a VGA input, the 30" does, not used as a PC monitor but should be fine, little more than you were looking to spend though!

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cjc1,
    Thanks for replying, looked at the other threads, but rang Philips today, it is definitely not discontinued. :cool:

10. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience of LCD the philips has a much clearer and cleaner image as it is about 2.4 million pixels whereas the sharp are only 1.2 million, the advantage of the sharp screen though is the fact that it has a 170 degree viewing angle left to right and up and down, and i think you'll find that the viewing angle on the philips is no where near as good! But the philips also have built in radio's!!

11. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just because the unit has more pixels, does not mean the image is cleaner. In fact more pixels when watching TV makes the image look poor. The amount of pixels are based on the resolution.
    EG - XGA panel is 1024 x 768 so you times the pixels and the panel has 786,432 pixels. If Mr. Fantazmo is correct, the Phillips panel would have a screen resolution 2048 x 1280 give or take a few thousand pixels. As far as I know, no one in the world has an LCD panel with this resolution. Check you facts, I think the quote may be 640 x 480 x 3 which would indicate a very low resolution panel. The X 3 means the pixels are lined in 3 colours.

It does of course depend on what signal you are inputting, but take into mind, the lower the quality of input, the lower resolution panel you would require.

My suggestion to you would be to fit a digital TV card into your PC (Around £80.00) and then just have a big LCD monitor.

If you have the money, go with horneydragon's suggestion and have the 30".
    I have the 28" AV monitor, same as the 30" as far as spec goes, but has no tuner. I just feed it all through by digibox and PC.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Done properly, a picture of a given resolution upscaled to a higher resolution WILL look better than the same picture at its true resolution. So, it is not correct to say (for example) that an NTSC TV picture (which is 480 rows high) is BEST when displayed on a <something> x 480 resolution display.

It WILL look better on a higher res display, providing the scaling is done well.