1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22-23 Inch LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by a_v_phile, Nov 3, 2003.

1. a_v_phile

a_v_phile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All!

This is a great forum!

I have been looking at 22-23" LCDs for ages (can not afford anything larger!) and narrowed it down to the following

Philips 23PF9945 £1200
    Samsung LW22A13 £1090
    Sony KLV-23HR2 £1360

That was until I saw the Sony and realised that it did not have the connections as advertised on many internet sites. I have mistakenly been looking at a non UK model. This consists of 2 component inputs and 1 dvi among the other usual inputs. The UK version has non of these! Suddenly not such a good deal!

Why is this?

Anyway, I remember a few members were considering both the Philips and Samsung models. Any advice about either would be appreciated. I have not found a single store stocking both where I can make a decent like-for-like comparison.

Another rumour I remember is that Phillips were stopping their model. Any truth in this? If so I may have to get my skates on as aesthetically this wins hands down over the Samsung.

(I am aware Phillips is VGA input and Samsung is DVI)
    :hiya:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sharp LC22SV2E the best LCD on the market!!!!!!!
    And can be bought for a litle over a grand

3. cjc1

cjc1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spend alot of time looking at 22-23" LCD before getting the Sony KLV-23HR2. It was the only one where I left the shop not thinking "is that as good as it gets". Undoubtably this was due to the set up in various shops. I am sure any of the newer models from Phillps, sharp etc would have performed as well on my set up at home but like I say only the Sony gave me the confidence to buy one.

As for connections I have two RGB scarts but no DVI. I may have a european gray import since I got it off the internet but I did check beforehand it was a UK model. Also I am pretty sure the Sony centre told me the UK model had 2 RGB scarts.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I like my Samsung LW22A13. It has a higher resolution than the Sharp, and it shows. It claims to be component-capable, but the manual isn't clear on this subject and it's not something I'm using, so I can't comment on the validity of this claim. If you do a search, you will find my personal review on this board.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is the problem I am having and have given up for now. The Philips looks the best to me and I see Unbeatable now say they have stock again so maybe it was just a stock shortage. It's a great telly.

However, I don't really see anything that really lights ,my fire and the lack of inputs on most of them for the money is dissapointing. I have decided to hold fire and see what the new year brings. Lets face it, these things are only going to get more plentifull and a lot cheaper as the months go buy. For once in my life I'm trying to avoid the pain of the early adopter :rolleyes: .

Not one of them really shouts out to me so I think I'll keep the grand in the bank and stick with my trusty Sony 24".

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Some others to consider from a quick look at Pricerunner are a £999.99 Bush LCD from Argos, an LG 23" for £1090, and a IMO a very stylish looking JVC for £1200. I've seen somewhere that the LG has Progscan component in the spec but I haven't found it in a shop yet to check.

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'll be interest to see what that LG is like. Can't find any info on it yet thoguh.

Meanwhile I'm looking at an LG 28" CRT for £250. Not a lot of lolly at all. How long before 22" LCD's are down to £500?

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I just downloaded a manual from the LG international site for a 23" LCD TV. It mentions Scart and Nicam so it's a Euro/UK version, it doesn't show or mention component inputs. There is an LG PC monitor that does do Component with an AV box but IIRC it's very expensive (or was). Wherever I saw the component info it must have been for the PC screen.

9. a_v_phile

a_v_phile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Samsung LW22A13 is now even cheaper, but this offer is available for just 2 days only. It is now available for £1030.09 including delivery.

I'm getting tempted Nigel!

Panasonic - Does anybody know why the Panasonic LCD is so expensive? The resolution is poor compared to the above (except Sharp). I do notice that there is a later model, the TX22LT3.

Know the differences compared to TX22LT2?

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    As far as I can tell, the later Panasonic is cosmetically different. It still has the low resolution, and poor below-the-horizontal viewing angle of its predecessor. I haven't checked specs etc in detail, but it seems otherwise pretty much the same.

The one thing the Panny's have, that the others do not, is a clever scheme whereby the brightness of the backlight is reduced when the image content is primarily dark. This subjectively increases the contrast by darkening dark scenes (which, as you know, is the main Achilles' heel of all LCD devices).

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's also a stunning little number, far prettier than all the rest put together. Great sound too.