2105 - no sound from center channel

R

rabydanimal

Hi all, new to the forums. I have a question regarding my Denon 2105. I bought this unit as a refurb and it's worked great for about 6 months. Not too long ago I noticed the sound from the center channel started cutting out for no reason. A lot of times when I turned the receiver off then on it fixed the problem temporarily but always came back. Now it seems totally dead. I've connected the center channel to some of the other outputs and it works fine, I've even recut a new wire with no luck. Then I tried plugging the pre-amp for the center channel into a separate amp and wired the speaker to that, still no sound. I'm ready to toss the thing out the window. What am I missing? :mad:

12 promises

DONT KNOW IF THIS MAKES SENSE BUT CANT YOU RUN THE CENTRE FROM THE 6/7 OUTPUTS?:confused:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Have you tried a processor reset? In the manual under Re-Initialization of the Processor is the key press combo you need to perform. Basically it resets everything to the factory defaults so you'll have to redo all your setup again. If the centre is still dead then it will need to be taken to a repair centre.

DenonReceiver

Standard Member
Some hints:

1. See "Speaker setup" - maybe your Centre channel is set to "None"?
2. See channel levels - maybe your Centre channel is set to "-12dB" or "Off"?
3. And the ultimate test of all - play some 5.1 content (DVD movie for example) and press "TEST TONE" on your remote. This bypasses all adjustments and sends test tone-noise to all speakers. If you cannot hear your Centre, then maybe your Centre amplifier section is blown away.

Resetting the microprocessor is also a great idea, you should start with this and redo all the setup carefully from A to Z.

I know the good quality transistor elements Denon use and I hardly believe that the centre channel could burn out so easily...

R

rabydanimal

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try and see how it works. Where might I find an authorized Denon repair center if things don't work out?

R

rabydanimal

I tried the Re-Initialization procedure as outlined in my manual. The center channel worked great... for about 20 seconds. Then the sound fizzled out to nothing. I went into the test tone and turned it up all the way on the center channel. It didn't sound like smooth white noise like the others, just very harsh cackling. Any other ideas?

Jase

Distinguished Member
Sounds like the Amp has gone or is on it's way out. You'll need to get it back to a repair centre.

R

rabydanimal

Talked to a tech at an authorized Tweeter repair center near me. He seems to think it's the DSP since the problem occurs in the pre-amp as well. He also mentioned that my receiver should carry a 2 year warranty even though it's a refurb. Is this true? I did buy it through eCost.com which is listed on Denon's site as an authorized reseller of B-stock receivers.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Best check with eCost.com with regards to Warranty as that's where you bought it from.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Refurbed stock usually carries warranty. The Apple stuff I've bought carries the same as brand new and my (also refurbed) 2105 from the now expired unbeatable is supposed to have 2 years according to the paperwork.

IMHO the amount it cost even refurbed its reasonable for them to repair it under warranty. If they get funny then I believe you will have some defence under sale of goods but try the nice friendly approach before you get out the guns!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom