Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

21" TV recommendations

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mister_d, May 23, 2002.

1. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm looking for a 21" 4:3 TV, preferably flat as I don't think I can readjust to convexity after using this monitor for so long. It'll primarily be used for connecting to a Gamecube (and probably later an Xbox) but I also wish to connect it to my PC for DVD playback, so it needs to have both RGB and S-Video inputs.

I'd like to keep within a budget of £250 - I'd really rather not be buying it in the first place as I already have a 21" monitor sitting on my desk. If necessary I could relax the flat screen requirement to meet my budget, but it'd have to be pretty close to flat. Sound isn't important at all, I'll be connecting all external sources to my amp and I doubt I'll for TV watching very often.

The Sony KV21LT1 (mono) seems to meet my criteria except that it apparently doesn't support S-Video input - can anyone confirm this? That leaves the KV21LS30, but at £280+ it's a bit more expensive than I'd like it to be. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What ever model you get, make sure it has a 16:9 mode for watching DVDs.

The Philips 4:3 TVs can be gotten at very reasonable prices (have a look at http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/) and seem to produce a good picture. Most of them include 16:9 mode as well (but double check this with the dealer).

3. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a KV21LS30 for £268 from Hispek.com (mailorder) for my parents. I had a good look round and I think its the best 21" set you can get. Second choice would be the flatscreen Philips although I can't remember the model.

4. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies :)

Even though both are slightly beyond my budget, I guess it's between the Philips flat screen (21PT5505, though it's a bit on the wide side) and the Sony KV21LS30, as much as I dislike the idea of paying about £50 extra just for an S-Video input.

The Philips 21PT1664 also looks quite good except I can't find any user opinions or detailed specs so I don't know how curved the screen is or what inputs it has - if anyone has any experience with this TV I'd very much like to hear about it.

motta_lunn - just seen your reply, that looks like the best one so far. Any idea what it's got input-wise?

6. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic TX-21AP1 has only got one Scart which is composite, RGB and I think S-Video enabled. It has got 3 AV RCA phono inputs at the front too. It does not have an S-Video mini-din input, which I think is what you're looking for?

Panasonic has just posted the full specs for the TV up on it's site:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/nw/products/product.asp?c=TX21AP1

I was thinking of the Sony KV-21LT1 but that has only got mono sound and then the Sony KV-21LS30, but that's far more expensive than this new Panasonic model which has just about the same specs apart from the extra connections.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technical spec leaflet and user manual can be downloaded from here http://www2.consumer.philips.com/gl...4_3&subCatId=20_21INCH&productId=21PT1664_05S

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Aiwa do a nice silver 21" Aiwa VXFT21 (53cm flat screen TV/VCR)
    £299 From RS depends if you want the VCR or not

9. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like it'll have to be either the Sony LS30 or the Philips 5505, as none of the others seem to have S-Video inputs (Scart or mini-din) - which is a shame, as I'd much rather buy the Panasonic or the cheaper Sony. If the Panasonic does support S-Video on the Scart input then I'd get it, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that it does.

I couldn't find that particular Aiwa model on their US or UK site, though if they don't do a version without the VCR for a fair bit less then it's not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks to everyone for all the input, now I've just got to decide which (if any) of them to buy :)

10. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the Panasonic TX-21AP1, it does say on their website that the scart has "Full Function with RGB in" which I would imagine means composite, RGB and S-Video enabled?

Why not give them a wee call and see what their technical department have to say? Or order their catalogue to your house free of charge from their website?

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend the Beko unit from Tesco £149.95.

Well within your budget.

I have the 28" version and it Rocks!

Certainly beats all the usual brands like Phillips/Panasonic/Toshiba anyway.

Sony would be a better choice of course. I know they are expensive - but you get what you pay for! Which is probably the most reliable consist manufacturer around with great after sales service.

12. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Apologies for the belated reply, the email reply notification seems to be a bit unreliable at the moment.

motta_lunn, I hope you're right about the Panasonic, I'll have to look into it. It's a shame that the majority of manufacturers seem to be reluctant to provide anything but the most rudimentary technical information about their products. I think I'll go round a few high street electronics stores and perhaps ask a few questions. Can't honestly say I've heard of Beko but I'll take a look.

I'm not sure about Sony, I'm hearing quite a few disparaging tales about their products at the moment and my (refurbished) Sony monitor recently had to be repaired and eventually replaced due to a recurring fault. I found they were quite efficient with the warranty arrangements (my main reference point is the online computer retail industry, where customer service and returns provisions are frequently close to non-existent), but I still think I'll go for the Panasonic if it does have S-Video in.

13. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still deciding between the Sony KV-21LS30 or the Panasonic TX-21AP1. The former is more expensive but does have two scart sockets which can come in handy.

Does the Sony KV-21LS30 have RGB picture shift? Does anyone know?

Let us know how you get on, Mister D.

14. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm in the process of looking for a 21" for the bedroom... to play PS2 etc and I stumbled accross this: CW-21A83NS (3rd TV down here) http://www.digiuk.com/samsung/acatalog/21__to_25__TV_s.html

Having phoned the retailer, they have confirmed NICAM, 16:9 mode, NTSC capability and RGB SCART:D. Looks pretty good huh?

Although I doubt it as the TV is very new, if anyone has had any experience with this set, comments would be most welcome.

Thanks,

rct.

15. Hasse

Hasse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunately my tour of Guildford's electrical shops was cut short earlier today by 'unforseen circumstances', so I'm still none the wiser as to whether 21" TVs with one SCART input (which seems to be almost all of them) do generally support s-vid in. In the limited time I had in Comet I did see an OK-looking flat screen 21" Thomson - don't know it compares to the others, but it was only £250, so I expect the online price would be closer to £200.

rct - I like the look of that TV, but again apparently no s-vid. I bought my monitor from Digi-UK and I found their customer service to be very good, but see earlier in the thread for my reference point with regards to customer service.

Hasse - any idea when we might see one of those? I notice the pdf is dated March 2002. Also looks good, though it's difficult to tell with such limited information about it.