21" CRT Toshiba TV Got Picture No sound !!!

TracyL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear buddies,

Please help !!!

My mother's 21" CRT Toshiba TV Got Picture But No sound !!!

Turn on, got picture but no sound. After 1/2 hour, a high pitch sound-

" yee~~yee~~ " emits. Turn off TV, Turn on back again,

After 1 hour, the sound comes back to normal !!

Please help !! My mother so sad his TV like that cannot watch her favorite movie. No sound, then come back got sound after 1 hour.

What is wrong ?

Regards,
Tracy

You need to get the Tv looked at by a TV repairman. It probably needs a new part.
There is nothing you can do yourself, no simple adjustment.

what part is needed ? could it be loose wire ?

There are too many conman repairman at my area from my past experience.

Thanks

Tracy

It's probably a faulty capacitor or the audio output IC but replacing these are beyond a layman unless they understand electronics, can fault-find electronic circuits and solder.
It won't be a loose wire.

Thanks for your reply,

Does it need the original spare part for this model to work ? Can it use other electronics spare parts ?

That is because my old father sent to a repairman, he simply said "old model, no spare parts". Maybe cos my father scold the repairman beforehand. My mother so sad.. Please help ..

Tracy

TracyL said:
Thanks for your reply,

Does it need the original spare part for this model to work ? Can it use other electronics spare parts ?

That is because my old father sent to a repairman, he simply said "old model, no spare parts". Maybe cos my father scold the repairman beforehand. My mother so sad.. Please help ..

Tracy

Your father "scolding" the repairman beforehand certainly wouldn't have helped getting him on your side to get the set fixed quickly/cheaply I'm afraid.
Certain manufacturer-model-specific parts are no longer available and are hard to obtain so you may just need to forget about a repair and maybe pickup a free Tv from Freecycle...Google it.

you may just need to forget about a repair and maybe pickup a free Tv from Freecycle...Google it.

There are many old CRT TVs being given away free on Freecycle, as JayCee mentioned. You can also place a 'wanted' advert if there are none advertised locally.

I've also seen CRTs on eBay for 99p with no bids, so you're bound to pick up something - just make sure it's in working condition !

You'd be much better going down either of those routes than paying to have your old TV repaired, in my opinion.

Alternatively, if you're based in the UK then you might want to consider using this as an excuse to switch to an LCD TV, with an in-built Freeview tuner.

Analogue TV won't be around forever so if you parents are not using a Freeview box with their old CRT currently, then they'll have to buy one at some stage and that means having an extra box under the TV, with two remotes, as well as the additional cost.

Last edited:
No. This TV was given by a special person. Got memorable value. So, my mother insists on repairing it.

TV picture everything is fine, crystal clear. Everything working. Except Sound !!!

One hour later. Turn off Tv, Turn on again. Sound comes back !!!

Everything Good. Except No Sound. Expert buddies here, what is wrong ???

Regards,
Tracy

Well then take JayCee's advice - there is unlikely to be anything you can do to fix it yourself, so you are going to have to get a TV repairman/company to take a look at it for you. I doubt anyone on here will be able to diagnose the fault for you without having a look at the TV themselves.

You've already been told by one repairman that there are no spare parts for it, so take it somewhere else for a second opinion and keep your fingers crossed !

No. This TV was given by a special person. Got memorable value. So, my mother insists on repairing it.

TV picture everything is fine, crystal clear. Everything working. Except Sound !!!

One hour later. Turn off Tv, Turn on again. Sound comes back !!!

Everything Good. Except No Sound. Expert buddies here, what is wrong ???

Regards,
Tracy

By the sound of things this is an old television and is probably irrepairable.
Even if you find someone willing to repair it the cost will be far more than the set is worth.

I'm guessing it might not have the ability to handle digital television without an external box. Once the area has been 'switched over' the set will need the conversion anyway. You really cannot be sentimental about things which are no longer repairable. With so many almost free secondhand sets available (some of them widescreen and with Freeview) there is no point trying to get this set working. It will probably fail again soon from another fault.

Any Expert Electronic Engineers here, please resuscitate the TV.

I suppose what Jaycee said is right, either the audio output IC is faulty, then change it will do...

My question to experts is : can a tv model use other model's audio output IC ?

Thank you

Tracy

Tracy, no one on here can repair your Tv or tell you how to do it.
You have no option but to get it repaired by a Tv repairman...only an experienced repairman physically examing it can tell what's needed.
If the repairman you took it to is honest and trustworthy he must have came to the conclusion that it needs a model-specific part that is no longer available.
Unfortunately no one on here can help you further.

TV repairs is a dying trade but you may be able to find a old style TV shop ( preferably on that originally sold your brand of TV back in the old days )

Explain that for sentimental reasons you need it repaired but be prepared to pay a fair price -- budget for £60 plus £20 for parts in most parts of the country ( double that in London or SE England ) All parts will be available somewhere but its just tracking them down .

On the other hand you really should be looking for a new full size Sony or Panasonic flat TV , but its your money !
Ian

I am from Malaysia.

This information puts most of the advice that has been offered as not being applicable. This is predominantely a UK and European based Forum. If you are able to get the set repaired bear in mind that it may be of an age where it will fail again pretty soon. Is that going to be worth it? Any chance you could track down a similar model and substitute it, or use it for spare parts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom