21.5" iMac Owners... Wish you had gone for a 27"?

CallMeSteve

Ex Member
Reaction score
I've been on the hunt for a 27" iMac for a few weeks and while searching I came across a good deal on a 21.5" 3.2GHz i3 model which I couldn't pass up. :D

It was a mint second hand 2010 model with Applecare for £950 which I thought was good considering a) it costs £1400 new and b) it costs £1049 for a refurb and both are without the additional Applecare.

Once the excitement settled in, I started to wonder if I'd been hasty and should have waited for a 27". Has anyone bought a 21.5" and regretted it? Or swapped it for a 27"? Anyone gone from a 27" to 21.5"?

was in apple store at weekend pondering teh same - with teh two side by side I felt 21 was a tad too small for video editing photos etc so will be going the 27 route ... the price jump is a little unpleasant, though i intend to have it for 5+ years so i see it as an investment

That's what I thought when I saw the 21.5" instore but then I saw a 27" at my friends and thought it looked a little too big sitting 2 feet away. :confused:

I have a 30" monitor which I sit around 3 feet away from and it's fine. I'd be sitting no more than 1-2 feet away from the iMac.

The 27" is huge when you're stuck in front of it.

i was in the market for a 21.5 i3 model ,but happened to come across a 27 in 3.06 core 2 duo model with 1 tb hd ,4 gig ram,for £1099 at comet ,used a discount code on my iphone on comet online ,they price matched it instore ,walked out with it for £1022,very happy with it indeed:thumbsup:

I was all set on getting a 21" until I actually went into a shop to take a look at them. Side by side, the 27" just looked so much more impressive and attractive. But do I need it? Probably not. Will I get it? Probably.

I wish I wouldn't let how sexy things look cloud my judgement...

I got the 27" 2.8GHz i5 iMac just over 2 weeks ago. So glad I didn't go for the 21" version. The 27" made sense as i was using a 24" monitor on my previous PC.

I feel for this generation of iMac owner. While mine is a lower spec Core 2 Duo model it has never really struggled with anything I have wanted to do. The GPU is a little lightweight but on the whole I am happy. The 24" size is just right IMHO and its really odd to me that they no longer off it as an option. I have a HTPC/Gaming PC that also shares the desk and originally bought a 24" Benq monitor to sit next to the iMac but the iMac just dominated due to its surround adding a few inches. I replaced the Benq 24" with a 27" and it feels a perfect match for the 24" iMac plus I have the added screen size for gaming.

Anyone struggling with a 27" I highly recommend seeking a higher spec 24" model 2nd hand. Seriously doubt you would see any performance drop between that and a decent spec 27".

Hmm, some interesting replies... I certainly don't need 27" as it won't be my main Mac but the bigger display and resolution does have its appeal. I'm going to wait until the 21.5" arrives unless I can get a 27" for a good price. Cheapest I've seen so far is £1045 for the older C2D model.

My advice, not worth much, I know, is to make sure that you have sufficient space to accommodate the 27 inch model.
My workspace has to accommodate a 21.5" iMac, a 20" G5, a Canon Printer, an Epson Scanner, a phone, a USB Hub, an Alicebox, and Three External Hard Drives.
Since I frequently use the two computers simultaneously, together with the other equipment , I am sitting just 60cm from the screens, all in a limited space between a corner, and a window looking out in the garden.
If I had more space, and less equipment, I would have gone for the 27", but the 21.5 has a great screen, and at my viewing distance it is perfect for my needs.
What I would really like, is an A2 Photo Printer, but I just don't have the space.
Still dreaming though. :cool:

I was in the middle, 21.5" was a bit too too small, but the 27" was just too big for my current room set up, as my desk is built into my cupboard and I would like to run a dual display, albeit with one of them on a vesa arm thing. Added to that, I'd want the full on i7 version which bumps the cost up further. The 27", as awesome as it is, is one for the future!

Ended up getting a refurb Mac Mini for £499 and am just trying to choose a monitor to go with it, I can feasibly get a 23-24" IPS for less than a refurbed 21.5" iMac, including the mouse and keyboard (scored myself a good deal for both on the classifieds), so that's what I'm doing.

After visiting my local Apple store, I thought the 27" looked, well, very large; possibly too large for my computer room. Based on that, I decided to go down the 21.5" route. After several day of badgering me, however, my wife convinced me to go for the 27" iMac (I know, I'm very lucky).

Sure, it looked big when I was unboxing it, but it's a phenomenal screen and, after just 1 week, I'm so glad I opted for the larger screen. I just wish the iMac was height adjustable, as my desk is tiered, and the screen sits a little too high now. I'll get a new chair.

I just need to sell my Mac Mini now....

Sure, it looked big when I was unboxing it, but it's a phenomenal screen and, after just 1 week, I'm so glad I opted for the larger screen. I just wish the iMac was height adjustable, as my desk is tiered, and the screen sits a little too high now. I'll get a new chair.

Or a cushion :D

Or put the chair on blocks :D:D

Or get a VESA arm that attaches to the desk tiers. Then you can rotate in all planes.

Im going to go get my 21.5" base model either later today or this week. As I'm only 19 it's all I can afford right now and it has enough power for my uses. The main thing that attracts me to the 27" is the ability to play Xbox 360, Blu rays etc through the dvi adapters available which would be great for when I got to uni next year. Sadly I dont think I can take my 42" tv :(.

A bit off topic but, I'm going to be buying the iMac from Currys/PCWorld. Is theyre anything I should ask for haggling-wise? Office for mac 11 for example? Is their any chance that I can get any good freebies? Thanks

Im going to go get my 21.5" base model either later today or this week. As I'm only 19 it's all I can afford right now and it has enough power for my uses. The main thing that attracts me to the 27" is the ability to play Xbox 360, Blu rays etc through the dvi adapters available which would be great for when I got to uni next year. Sadly I dont think I can take my 42" tv :(.

A bit off topic but, I'm going to be buying the iMac from Currys/PCWorld. Is theyre anything I should ask for haggling-wise? Office for mac 11 for example? Is their any chance that I can get any good freebies? Thanks

Check out vouchercodes for discounts to use against your purchase, look at buying onlne and collecting in store. Buy software from Amazon, it's much cheaper than Curry's/PCWorld. A good lesson to save money through life as you pay off your student loan!! :D:D:D

The 24" size is just right IMHO and its really odd to me that they no longer off it.

I totally agree with Steve.

I have no idea why Apple felt that the 24" should be dropped from the line. While 27" is a massive screen size, it would look ridiculous in my home. I always felt the 24" was the prefect all-rounder. Just my opinion of course.

Well I've had the 21.5" for a few days and it's great but I want a bigger screen. Still undecided if 27" is too big but I'm sure I'll get used to it. If only they still had a 24" option...

I went straight for the 27" and I'm, although it dwarfs the 19" monitor I used with my previous PC, I'm surprised how easily I got used to the size...

John

It's like buying a new TV... you always think your new screen size is huge, too big even. Then after a week or so it feels about right, possibly too small...

That said, with the saving you've made I think you did the right thing! If you need more screen real estate, you've saved enough money to buy a second monitor (and wall mount if you need).

perfectly happy with my 21".

The fact the resolution matches my TV so i dont have to mess about with screens when using plex is great.

I couldn't go to a little 21" screen dropping down from the awesome 30" screen. If you have the space for it, definitely go for the larger screen. If you don't have the space for it, move house first ;-)

Been in this before, in the end opted for the 20" instead of the 24" imac. Fast forward 3 years, I would have no hesitation to go for the bigger screen if I can afford it. You'll get used to screen size quickly & wished you'd gone for the 27" :)

I finally took the plunge and ordered a 27" iMac this morning. Despite feeling sick when I pressed the 'Place Order' button and watching all that cash disappear from my bank account, after seeing them side by side in a shop I couldn't bring myself not to go for the bigger screen!

i thought the 21.5 too small 27 too big,so i sourced a new 24,the right choice i think,why dont apple still make the 3 sizes,is there a demand for them

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom