• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

20mph zone outside new school ...

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
... we have gained one on what is normally a 30mph road , good idea if the local meatheads stick to it , the only thing is , shouldn't there be a 30mph sign when you leave the 20mph zone , there are no 30mph repeaters on the lampposts so in effect the 20mph zone never ends for about a mile after the school , thoughts please ...

FZR400RRSP

Banned
On your first point, I agree a 20mph zone is meaningless without enforcement.
On your other point, I drive past two schools with 20mph zones every day and I honestly can't say if there are signs saying when it's ok to go back to 30mph.
I will check tonight and Edit the post.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
There must be a 20MPH sign for traffic coming in the opposite direction - can you see that? I would expect that to have a 30MPH sign on the back of it.

Just checked both ways and there is no 30mph sign ...

On your first point, I agree a 20mph zone is meaningless without enforcement.
On your other point, I drive past two schools with 20mph zones every day and I honestly can't say if there are signs saying when it's ok to go back to 30mph.
I will check tonight and Edit the post.

Thanks ...

IronGiant

Interesting:
What is the difference between a 20mph speed limit and a 20mph zone?
There are legal differences between them but in summary;

20mph speed limit areas are indentified by entry signs to the area together with smaller repeater signs.
20mph zones have signs at the entry points together with suitable traffic calming measures, but do not include any repeater signs.

more info here: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/tal-1999/TAL_9-991.pdf (note: it's from 1999)

loz

Distinguished Member
Would a US-style system be best, where a 20mph zone is only enforced during the hours in which kids are entering and leaving school, and not all day?

Or is that too difficult for the "meatheads" to deal with? :)

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Would a US-style system be best, where a 20mph zone is only enforced during the hours in which kids are entering and leaving school, and not all day?

Or is that too difficult for the "meatheads" to deal with? :)

Sorry , it is only part time for the school coming and going , as for the second part , yes , probably is the answer I suspect ...

Interesting:

more info here: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/tal-1999/TAL_9-991.pdf (note: it's from 1999)

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Ok, checked both schools I drive past.
Both temporary 20mph zones, flashing lights when operational.
They have 30mph signs on the rear of them.
Which unfortunately means the signs saying it's ok to go back to 30mph are on the other side of the road.
There is nothing on your own side of the road to say end of 20mph zone.
Hope this makes sense!
It does seem counter intuitive to have the resumption of 30mph zone sign on the wrong side of the road.

Ron240

OK, there is a 20mph zone outside a school near us. But it operates all day.
When you say all day, i presume this is only during the school day hours.....so 9am - 4pm give or take 30 mins?

loz

Distinguished Member
Ron240 said:
When you say all day, i presume this is only during the school day hours.....so 9am - 4pm give or take 30 mins?

No. 24x7
It is like an urban speed limit, but in this case is not really 'urban' as these are the main roads through our village.

Crowthorne:: OS grid SU8464 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!
To the left the start of Crowthorne High Street; the other road is the start of Dukes Ride.
The 20MPH zone for the High Street was one of the first, if not the first, such speed limit zones in the country.

Crowthorne High Street and and the stretch of Dukes ride (facing in the photo) that goes past the school are both 24x7 20mph zones.

Last edited:

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
I like what they do in France and some other European countries, where they have a very clearly marked low speed zone (30 Km/h - roughly 20 mph) within villages & other urban areas. It also dissuades tail gaters from trying to intimidate you into speeding up.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
I like what they do in France and some other European countries, where they have a very clearly marked low speed zone (30 Km/h - roughly 20 mph) within villages & other urban areas. It also dissuades tail gaters from trying to intimidate you into speeding up.

Our signage is good enough (apart from my query) and that doesn't stop the idiots thinking they are at Silverstone :lesson:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
There's a 20 limit near me that is only active in the morning and again at closing time down from the 40 limit the rest of the time. There are flashing lights to tell you of this and there is a 30 sign at one end and a 40 going the other way to mark the end of the zone. Seems a bit odd to leave the 20 zone going for a mile after the school, but there are some areas of Oxford that are all 20 zones and not going past any schools (well I suppose the Universities are schools, but you get what I mean).

namuk

Distinguished Member
if you do not see a sign in a built up area it is 30Mph, thing is i am too busy looking for all this road info theses days and not looking at the road :suicide:

they should put Speed cams out side schools but they can not due to some daft camera rule due to Pedo's ect

the world has gone mad or just Uk.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Finally got a reply to say that the signs are only advisory ones that do not need a sign at the end of the restriction that isn't apparently a restriction , seems very strange to me ...

IronGiant

Thanks for the update :clap:

although I'm none the wiser :laugh:

Ron240

Finally got a reply to say that the signs are only advisory ones that do not need a sign at the end of the restriction that isn't apparently a restriction , seems very strange to me ...
This must mean that the 20mph limit is not legally enforceable, so you are perfectly entitled to carry on driving at 30mph if you choose to do so.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Spoke to a traffic officer today and he said you would most likely be pulled over if you went through at 30 if the lights were flashing ...

Ron240

Doesnt surprise me....but probably just for a talking to as they wouldnt be able to give you a ticket as long as you werent exceeding the regular 30mph limit.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom