2048 x 1152 DVI setup?

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Hi

Just about to get one of these beauties www.ebuyer.com/product/152744 and was wondering how other people have gotten 2048 x 1152 on their setup?

Looks like I have to take 2 outputs from my Nvidia DVI card (which it seems to allow 2048 x 1152) and then use a cable which is meant for splitting 1 DVI (ie male out to 2x female) and spin it around and use it as the input for the Samsung. The Samsung's userguide (like most company's) make no real mention of 2048 and no special cable comes in the box it seems.

Is this what other people have done?

What I'd like:

Is there a name for that (that's a partially homemade image BTW)? Sounds better than a splitter (turned around) and 2 standard dual DVIs.

This is for PC display use only and for what I can tell I definitely need to DVI putputs to fire up the full resolution of 2048 x 1152.

Thanks for any comments! :)

Paul Shirley

I just used the normal DVI cable the monitor came with (*) and selected 2048x1152... you don't even need dual-link DVI for that resolution.

Not sure what using a splitter cable is meant to achieve, its not how you use dual-link if that's what you were thinking!

(*) before swapping for a longer one, the supplied one is a little short!

Last edited:

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply.

So I can get the full res with a normal cable? I'm sure I read somewhere I need the 'power' from both of my DVIs. I use a splitter at the moment (it let's me send a 1080p signal to my TV and a 2nd monitor) on one of my DVI outs. I only mentioned that because I thought I needed both DVI outs to power 2048x.

TBH, I just don't know what I was thinking (or where I got the 2x idea from!) and there's very little from the manufacturers which doesn't help.

I like the idea of more screen space and never realised just what I've been missing until got a hold of an old Dell 22" CRT. Loved the larger desktop area. I'm using a 24" Ultrasharp 1920x myself and I'm pleased with it but the extra space will be very welcomed as I do like small text.

My TFT's just shipped so I'll post my findings! :thumbsup:

Paul Shirley

Single link DVI has just enough bandwidth for 24bit [email protected], go higher or faster and you need a second link to 'top up' the bandwidth - that's dual link DVI. Currently the only common monitors needing dual link are 30" 2560x1600 monsters.

That 2nd link is just another set of conductors in the DVI cable - 2 links->2x bandwidth. You need a dual link capable graphics card, monitor and cable to use it - I believe not all cables are fully wired for dual link. I can't comment on whether 2 single link DVI's can be combined for dual link (in theory it could be done) but any card capable of driving those resolutions will already be dual link capable on one or both DVI's.

For your monitor its not an issue.

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Ah, excellent explanation thanks. Yeah, I must of seen mention of those massive Dell or Apple 30" displays and assumed anything over 1920x was the same.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Ah, excellent explanation thanks. Yeah, I must of seen mention of those massive Dell or Apple 30" displays and assumed anything over 1920x was the same.

Dual-link uses the same connector but more pins (it fills in the gap between the two blocks of nine), it's got nothing to do with funny splitters or dual cables (that's for really high resolutions).

As others have said though, you don't even need a dual-link cable for 2048x1152 are it's barely more than 1920x1200 (2.35megapixels vs. 2.3) so any DVI-D or DVI-I cable will do.

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Got the Samsung. Very very nice bit of kit. Made in Romania apparently and they've kindly put a Romanian ('Euro') plug in -no problem as I have loads of UK 3 pin plus, but worth noting.

Truly fab image. Easily equal to my Ultrasharp from everything I've tested so far. Although it's only a small amount of pixels wider (red= old 1920 wide TFT) it does seem much larger as I guess it's playing my my much used to vision of 1920x. Can't seen much (if any) difference between VGA and DVI so it's worth consider the VGA-only version if you have a tight budget www.ebuyer.com/product/158908

No problems with the connection. Windows Ultimate recognised it as the Samsung model it is.

Thanks again for the comments.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Part of the illusion of a much wider screen is probably due to the reduced vertical height.

Which 24" ultrasharp were you using?

Last edited:

Karlin

Distinguished Member
The great 2407WFP. Is still my main TFT.

Would like a 3008WFP but literally don't have the space on this desk.

The Samsung will do for a stopgap until I figure a way of squeezing in a 3008WFP (or they drop the price and I change my desk :D)

The extra space of 30" would be amazing at the higher resolution. I've seen 27", 30" and 32" setups @ 1920x and they're horrible. Just bigger pixels.

bowery

Standard Member
At the first,I am sorry,my language level of English is incompetent.

I am using the samsung 2343BW now.
In the beginning, I used graphics card on my computer is a "ASUS 6200LE 64M TC256" with a DVI cable(DELL 18+1), it can't support 2048*1152,that overrun the screen resolutions.But I finded a temporary way that changed a VGA cable to resolve the problem.

Finally,I bought a new graphics card which is
PowerColor HD4350 256MB DDR2 HDMI at yesterday,all the same,with the Dell normal 18+1 DVI calble,the effect is perfect!

Now,double screen make up of the Samsung 2343BW(2048*1152 with DVI 18+1) and the DELL E22Wpf(1680*1050 with VGA).:clap:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom