2021 soundbar battle. Which is the one to go?

Pippa dolby

Novice Member
Let's start a discussion on the best soundbar to buy in 2021 with surround speakers and a sub woofer.

Which one to go right away ?

1. JBL bar 9.1 £800
2. Samsung Q950T £1300
3. Sonos ARC with sub and rear speakers £1800
4. Bose 700 with sub and rear speakers £1900
5. LG Sn11rg £1000
6. Kliptch cinima 600

Which one to wait for ?

1. Kliptch cinima 1200 (the best)
2. Samsung Q950A 11.1.4
3. LG SP11R

For all of it I feel should we go for JBL 9.1 for budget option with outstanding sub and 3D sound or wait for Klipsch cinima 1200 (available in analogue seductions)

James1977

Novice Member
I have the same question, but i wouldn't recommend LG bought the Sn11rg in september failed in november and just managed to get a refund authorised.

considering Sonos

aws1971

Keep in mind the limited support of HD audio formats with the Sonos.
Especially if you still got some old Blu-rays that only have a DTS(-HD) variant on it.
Same with the Bose set.
In my opinion with those 2 brands you pay mostly for the brand and not the options and supported audio formats.
Didn't do research yet with the others in the list.
Except the LG and the Samsung.
Still need to check why the kliptch would be so called the best.
If a Soundbar doesn't support the major audio formats for any kind of Blu-rays it's a big drawback and would lose the use of a decent home Cinema Soundbar and wouldn't be more then a TV speaker upgrade set.

mhutter79

I have LG SN11RG and happy with it and just had firmware update. The new Klipsch is to come soon the cinema 1200 but with no DTS support that is no go for me as there are a lot of new releases on blu ray only and some 4k releases have DTS-X or regular DTS so why this bar would not support is weird and I am sorry I feel that DTS and DTS-x even though u lose height effects sounds better than some of the atmos tracks

Haiko

It just depends on your requirements 😉

If you want to have an easy to use soundbar, with a stable firmware, smooth app, great Amazon Alexa integration, want to add additional speaker, e.g. for your garden and you don't need DTS nor a HDMI-IN port .... Take Sonos 😀

bernado

It just depends on your requirements 😉

If you want to have an easy to use soundbar, with a stable firmware, smooth app, great Amazon Alexa integration, want to add additional speaker, e.g. for your garden and you don't need DTS nor a HDMI-IN port .... Take Sonos 😀
I wouldn't call Sonos Alexa integration great from my experience.

famous360

Standard Member
I like Samsung Soundbar the most. A big downside is the display on top of all the flagship soundbars after the q90r.

The two new Sony Systems sound also great. I had the old HT-ST5000 from Sony and it was great, but I missed the rears. The new Sony HT-A7000 sound amazing with the extra sub and rears, but the price is crazy. They also introduced a new instresting Model the A9. No Soundbar but 360 Sound with 12 phantom speakers (4 real speakers)

In my opinion, LG Flagship soundbars have great specs, but the center sounds always so muffy, so its out.

At the moment, I am pretty happy with the Samsung HW-Q90R, I bought it last year second hand like new for 700€.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Separates -> LG SN11 -> Samsung Q950A.

I would be pleasantly surprised if any soundbar in the market is able to go head on head with the Q950A. If something else does then I will consider purchasing it.

Haiko

I wouldn't call Sonos Alexa integration great from my experience.
Sure, an Amazon echo is better but Sonos integration of Alexa is stable, no music audio dropouts (as with Samsung soundbars if you use Amazon music), perfect Sonos app with integrated Amazon music, TuneIn etc.
For me Alexa and Amazon music is a must. I first bought a Samsung Q900T soundbar and Alexa integration was frustrating. Alexa just stoped working sometimes, there were audio dropouts with Amazon music (beside FireTV4k stick) and Amazon music app playback with my Samsung soundbar was terrible. Music just stopped, I couldn’t skip a title….
Finally I returned my Samsung Q900T soundbar and bought as interim solution, my ARC is on it‘s way, a Sonos move. What should I say…. My wife hated Samsung Alexa solution, I hated their software problems… but now… I‘m totally happy. No audio dropout since 3 months. No problem at all. A perfect solution :)
And togehter with my ARC and sub I can play music on my terrace and living room. Perfect!

Haiko

I would be pleasantly surprised if any soundbar in the market is able to go head on head with the Q950A. If something else does then I will consider purchasing it.
I had a Samsung Q900T soundbar and returned that one. Why (beside my describe Alexa problems)?
Samsung is not taking care about us customers. The are not solving software problems at all. Their soundbar firmware is buggy. I had to reboot my soundbar from time to time. There were audio dropouts with HDMI IN ports.
Many users and I reported these problems to Samsung for months. Did Samsung ever solve these problems? No! There were only 2 firmware updates (October 2020 and April 2021) and I guess that‘s it. If you complain they say you can send your soundbar in for repair. But this will not solve the problems.

Good luck with a Samsung Q950A soundbar and don‘t complain if this soundbar is never without software bugs ;)

So my conclusion: I will not buy a Samsung product again.
By the way… I was thinking to buy a new smartphone e.g. S21 Ultra and guess what I didn‘t buy…. :lesson:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I had a Samsung Q900T soundbar and returned that one. Why (beside my describe Alexa problems)?
Samsung is not taking care about us customers. The are not solving software problems at all. Their soundbar firmware is buggy. I had to reboot my soundbar from time to time. There were audio dropouts with HDMI IN ports.
Many users and I reported these problems to Samsung for months. Did Samsung ever solve these problems? No! There were only 2 firmware updates (October 2020 and April 2021) and I guess that‘s it. If you complain they say you can send your soundbar in for repair. But this will not solve the problems.

Good luck with a Samsung Q950A soundbar and don‘t complain if this soundbar is never without software bugs ;)

So my conclusion: I will not buy a Samsung product again.
By the way… I was thinking to buy a new smartphone e.g. S21 Ultra and guess what I didn‘t buy…. :lesson:

Sorry to hear that. Every product and owners encounter specific problems. My LG had issues. My TV has issues. The list goes on and on. Smart Things app is definitely buggy as everytime I select the device, it disconnects from WiFi and seldom reconnects. This is my only issue with this package

GrazzaB

I like Samsung Soundbar the most. A big downside is the display on top of all the flagship soundbars after the q90r.

The two new Sony Systems sound also great. I had the old HT-ST5000 from Sony and it was great, but I missed the rears. The new Sony HT-A7000 sound amazing with the extra sub and rears, but the price is crazy. They also introduced a new instresting Model the A9. No Soundbar but 360 Sound with 12 phantom speakers (4 real speakers)

In my opinion, LG Flagship soundbars have great specs, but the center sounds always so muffy, so its out.

At the moment, I am pretty happy with the Samsung HW-Q90R, I bought it last year second hand like new for 700€.
I’d agree with this, I managed to buy a Samsung Q90R ex display for what I thought was a fantastic deal at £510. It’s been absolutely stunning to be honest, in my opinion quite a bit better than the Sonos Arc too as the bass from the included subwoofer is impressive and the surround speakers work very well indeed. Also does lossless formats and eARC. Also I like the font display (as limited as it is) and I always prefer metal mesh on soundbars to cloth. It’s also had zero issues connecting through the Samsung and now Sony TVs I’ve used it with.

As with so many AV purchases, if you can find a good deal on the previous year’s model you can find a real bargain, as long as it’s not missing any features you really need.

Cheers

UMAR 3:16

Another Sonos arc full system owner here. I am lucky enough to have two full atmos systems, one a separates and other the Sonos (see sig) obviously the separates wins hands down on every level however the Sonos is a very capable soundbar system in terms of sound quality and ease of use. expensive for what it is, yes but the build quality the best I have seen on any soundbar as are the surrounds and the Sub. No other soundbar sub comes close to it! would I pay £700 for sub, no! just source one from here. For those who stream and or have a second system that can accommodate features such as DTS X the sonos is the great buy! Just take your time and pick up from the forums if you can. Like Apple, Sonos products warranty follow the device not the owner. If the arc system supported DTS X and even 1 HDMI Input I would seriously consider changing my main system. As I mentioned its no way as good but at least x6 cheaper....

Tivomaniac

Standard Member

Yup very happy with my Q950A as well.

keithwiggins

i think theres a great case to be made here for buying,last years models, most of the big brands are locked into the cycle of changing models every few months ( not all sonus products hang around for years) so if you are after a samsung/lg buy last years and save many hundreds of pounds, there may be a few missing features but the fundamental's are the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom