2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Would seem over the years TV technology as far as aesthetics and picture quality is racing ahead at such a rate that by the time long term faults are identified, the tech has already moved on with its own new set of issues.

From what I can tell from reviews and from feedback on here... Panasonic, Sony and maybe the new Phillips (to be confirmed) are all pretty good. The LG's seem to be very slightly behind on some things but ahead on others. I've also gathered that they ALL have some issues and are flawed in some way or another... with the Phillips still to be fully checked out.

PS: Also gathered that the Panasonic HZ2000 range seem to be preferred over the newer JZ2000 range.

Last edited by a moderator:
All TVs from all manufacturers use OLED panels manufactured by LG displays. Sony, Panasonic, Philips etc don't make OLED panels, they buy them from LG.

The difference is whether they're using the latest-gen panels, a few higher-end TVs use the "Evo" panels and their own electronics suite inside the TV.

PS: Also gathered that the Panasonic HZ2000 range seem to be preferred over the newer JZ2000 range.
I'm at the early stage of research into a new OLED TV and fancy the JZ2000 when prices drop. Is there a reason why some prefer the HZ2000? I understand it has the same Technics tuned speakers?

I like that part of the new Panasonic JZ1500 review:

"Compared to the more expensive Sony A90J, I preferred the JZ1500 for nearly all of its image attributes over the Sony, including much better out of the box accuracy to the standards and its brighter peak highlight performance and more natural-looking image over the Sony’s more processed and sharpened image. The Sony was capable of slightly more brightness with larger areas of colour or white within the frame and slightly brighter colours on extremely colourful HDR test content, but when in isolation this advantage in a side-by-side was less obvious to see with normal HDR content."

I like that part of the new Panasonic JZ1500 review:

"Compared to the more expensive Sony A90J, I preferred the JZ1500 for nearly all of its image attributes over the Sony, including much better out of the box accuracy to the standards and its brighter peak highlight performance and more natural-looking image over the Sony’s more processed and sharpened image. The Sony was capable of slightly more brightness with larger areas of colour or white within the frame and slightly brighter colours on extremely colourful HDR test content, but when in isolation this advantage in a side-by-side was less obvious to see with normal HDR content."
Certainly a very positive review by Phil. :)
I'm gonna wait for a comparison (with luck) with the Phillips 936 ;)

The VRR firmware update is now available for supporting 2021 Sony models in the Europe and Asia Pacific regions.

MT5895 w/ Google TV (A80J, A80CJ, A90J, X80J, X85J, X90J, X90CJ, X91J, X92, X95J, Z9J)
This firmware is direct download only at this time and must be installed by USB update (follow the same instructions as the current firmware on the Sony Support page). There is no changelog at this time since the Sony Support page hasn't been updated but it is confirmed that this update enables Variable Refresh Rate.

I'm at the early stage of research into a new OLED TV and fancy the JZ2000 when prices drop. Is there a reason why some prefer the HZ2000? I understand it has the same Technics tuned speakers?
I believe it is the chipset on the new panel vs old and the effect on the blacks.

The VRR firmware update is now available for supporting 2021 Sony models in the Europe and Asia Pacific regions.

MT5895 w/ Google TV (A80J, A80CJ, A90J, X80J, X85J, X90J, X90CJ, X91J, X92, X95J, Z9J)
This firmware is direct download only at this time and must be installed by USB update (follow the same instructions as the current firmware on the Sony Support page). There is no changelog at this time since the Sony Support page hasn't been updated but it is confirmed that this update enables Variable Refresh Rate.
Is this the one that Vincent Teoh has slated on Youtube?

Anyone heard about the C1 having an issue with skyQ after the latest Q170 update? A guy on the Sky customer forums had to send his TV back to JL because it wouldn’t display 2160p, just kept flashing on and off. Sky claimed it’s a known issue??

Anyone know how to tell if an A80J has the new EVO panel?

Thinking about picking up the A80J 55” today versus waiting for the A80K. I heard the more recent A80J’s were using the new EVO panel.

Anyone know how to tell if an A80J has the new EVO panel?

Thinking about picking up the A80J 55” today versus waiting for the A80K. I heard the more recent A80J’s were using the new EVO panel.

I'd also be interested to know this. Currently deciding between an A80J 55"/65" or an LG C1 55"/65". Missed out on the Costco deals for the A80J, and just waiting for the next good deal to come along.

Would be curious though to know if there was a way to confirm which has the EVO panel.

I think for me it comes down to the best deal just. All three TVs seems to be good.

The A80J had two deals at £1100 (55") and £1499 (for the 65"), and the C1 at £999. Both deals have since ended though.

The cheapest I can see that G1 at is £1400. Is the G1 worth the extra £2/300 over the A80J if another sale were to appear on it?

has anything been mentioned about whether the QD OLED will mean the uniformity is better or atleast has higher chance to be cleaner

Picked up A80J 55” today. Manufactured in December 2021. The first thing I noticed when I set it up was the screen had a very purple tint to it before even turning it on. And the light reflections in my TV are purple or pink.

Does this indicate I got the new EVO panel? Not sure how else to tell.

Does the non-EVO panel have the purple color when it’s not on?

Some have said the evo panels can have a hue to the screens... but thought it was just a90js lg G series etc..

Some have said the evo panels can have a hue to the screens... but thought it was just a90js lg G series etc..
I have an evo panel on my C1, no noticeable hue though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom