2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

I think this looks like Vinny has trained staff in the shop. To perform some calibration, rather than vinny doing it himself. And I'm not sure how good the quality will be. And also getting you tv calibrated in a shop, really needs calibrating at home.

ahh yes you are right, it does say done by ourselves and VT signs off on it. I will re-edit my post.

If something is not quite calibrated correctly I wonder how it is corrected then, does he ask for a recalibration I wonder.

It does say its done in a dark room but you can request different if you want.

It might still not be a bad option, I don't think we have any UK TV dealers offering calibration before sending it out to customer.

HELP! Have just sold my 55 LG C9 and bought a 55 Sony A90J. The picture from Sky HD+ box was ALWAYS very good with the C9, but the new Sony is absolutely dreadful. There is very little sharpness to the picture and the picture is not natural looking in any picture setting; it's like watching everything in SD. Are the latest TV processors trying to do too much? I haven't ran it for many hours at present, but doubt that that would make much difference. I'm looking to change it for either an LG G1 or C1 (may be the C1 as it probably won't have the EVO panel; if that's the issue). As an added thing, in the past I have tried 3 Sky Q boxes and found each was poor at doing HD, and the HD specific box does a much better job. Thanks.
Deactivate Overscan
Choose 1080i on sky box

ahh yes you are right, it does say done by ourselves and VT signs off on it. I will re-edit my post.

If something is not quite calibrated correctly I wonder how it is corrected then, does he ask for a recalibration I wonder.

It does say its done in a dark room but you can request different if you want.

It might still not be a bad option, I don't think we have any UK TV dealers offering calibration before sending it out to customer.
A big advantage (hopefully) should be that if the panel is a stinker, they get to reject it before sending it out. And therefore saving you a whole load of potential RMA hassle.

I say hopefully... Actually I asked them about this and they said yes absolutely. But went on to say they had not seen a bad G1 or A90J and had not so far has to reject any. Whilst superficially good news, it made me wonder how critical any testing is, bearing in mind how many A90Js seem to have uniformity issues according to anecdotal reports. I would have been more reassured if they had said yes they have rejected a few.

Last edited:
A big advantage (hopefully) should be that if the panel is a stinker, they get to reject it before sending it out. And therefore saving you a whole load of potential RMA hassle.

I say hopefully... Actually I asked them and it this and they said yes absolutely. But went on to say they had not seen a bad G1 or A90J and had not so far has to reject any. Whilst superficially good news, it made me wonder how critical any testing is, bearing in mind how many A90Js seem to have uniformity issues according to anecdotal reports. I would have been more reassured if they had said yes they have rejected a few.

Yeah exactly my thoughts, its not going to be easy to re-sell a potential rejected. 100 hrs run in is also imo not the best, other calibrators did say its better with 200hrs run time before an attempt on tv calibration not sure if this has any bearing on the final look.

I noticed they also said if you return a TV you will have to pay for the full calibration price but no mention of the entire price ! I think other TV calibration services in UK have been roughly £300 anyhow.

Its still not bad certainly many will have that service, id rather DIY though since TVs change naturally after a year or so.

Trying to decide between 65" Sony A90J and LG G1 EVO. Color gradient in the G1 is inferior to Sony A90J according to several reviews. Can color gradient be calibrated? Or gets corrected during calibration? It is impossible to judge the PQ of both TVs in a showroom setting they are set to the brightest setting. Also, does the G1 TV mount have tilt down feature?

Trying to decide between 65" Sony A90J and LG G1 EVO. Color gradient in the G1 is inferior to Sony A90J according to several reviews. Can color gradient be calibrated? Or gets corrected during calibration? It is impossible to judge the PQ of both TVs in a showroom setting they are set to the brightest setting. Also, does the G1 TV mount have tilt down feature?
Best thread to ask questions like this. Dodgexander will answer your question.

Really tempted by an LG C1 48" but stories of burn in really put me off, it would be mostly TV and games console use.

Really tempted by an LG C1 48" but stories of burn in really put me off, it would be mostly TV and games console use.

According to LG almost, burn in should be almost impossible, ABL and ASBL technologies should prevent that, this is probably why no other retailer in uk apart from JL offer burn in cover, its probably a paper weight insurance at this point.

Having said that we probably won't be 100%, till we start seeing 2018-2019 OLED TV owners complaining of burn in...... in another 2-3 years time.

Am waiting out for the 42" LG OLED spring 2022, bit more gaming and bedroom size tv for myself.

Since when did John Lewis start offering burn-in cover? My under warranty TV repair has just been rejected by them because it was classed as burn-in (even though it isn’t).

Since when did John Lewis start offering burn-in cover? My under warranty TV repair has just been rejected by them because it was classed as burn-in (even though it isn’t).
It's separate from their normal guarantee costs £140 quid

Thanks, that certainly wasn't offered to me when I bought my OLED 2 years ago.

Weird that it excludes mechanical/electrical breakdown though.

I have protect plus just in case! But I dint expect it with my A90J.

Have I missed something or has the Panasonic JZ1500 review still to be posted?

Have I missed something or has the Panasonic JZ1500 review still to be posted?
First thoughts on the JZ1500 were mentioned on the podcast on the 11th August, but there haven't been any full reviews of any of the JZ models posted on the site or YouTube yet, as far as I can see.

It's separate from their normal guarantee costs £140 quid

I wasn't aware of this. Not cheap at £140 but something you would be grateful for having if you got burn in on an expensive TV.

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 18.50.21.png

I wasn't aware of this. Not cheap at £140 but something you would be grateful for having if you got burn in on an expensive TV.

View attachment 1575239
True but that's for 5 years ...£28 quid a year..or £2.30 a month for peace of mind...you look at that way..its not very expensive at all for peace of mind

Last edited:
Anyone know if Richer Sounds offer a similar aftermarket warranty option that includes screen burn? I haven't seen anything on their site.

Anyone know if Richer Sounds offer a similar aftermarket warranty option that includes screen burn? I haven't seen anything on their site.
No they don't - I think John Lewis are the only retailer who offers a policy that does at the moment.

Do we know of many success stories of folk claiming on the JL Protect Plus for screen burn etc?

Do we know of many success stories of folk claiming on the JL Protect Plus for screen burn etc?
I haven't seen any mentioned on here yet. If the policy has only been on offer since April 2020, then it'll still be early days as far as possible screen burn claims for 2019/2020 OLEDs are concerned.

Only the Sony and Panasonic were on my shortlist of new tvs ..because the have the plate for heat dispersion. ( as well as arguably being the best )..LGs don't have that plate as far as I'm aware. Philips have a guarantee as part of the initial guarantee that covers screen burn. Do we have oleds after 2019 that have had screen burn?

Only the Sony and Panasonic were on my shortlist of new tvs ..because the have the plate for heat dispersion. ( as well as arguably being the best )..LGs don't have that plate as far as I'm aware. Philips have a guarantee as part of the initial guarantee that covers screen burn. Do we have oleds after 2019 that have had screen burn?
Very much doubt it mate.

The fact retailers & insurance companies are offering screen burn protection tells you that it's now VERY rare. If it was prevalent they'd be out of business.

I watch a hell of a lot of sports news channels where there is a ton of the screen filled with static imaging and after 5+ months of ownership ... Nothing. Panel is still clean as a whistle!

Last edited:

Very much doubt it mate.

The fact retailers & insurance companies are offering screen burn protection tells you that it's now VERY rare. If it was prevalent they'd be out of business.

I watch a hell of a lot of sports news channels where there is a ton of the screen filled with static imaging and after 5+ months of ownership ... Nothing. Panel is still clean as a whistle!

It is the lack of a heat dispsersion plate that is the root cause for my Philips OLED having a giant blob of shifted hue in the middle of the screen, which is not screen burn but is exactly what it gets seen as when the authorised repairers come to inspect it. This is why John Lewis are arguing over the repair with me, this issue is widely documented here on these forums (mostly with LG panels):

Genuine screen burn from logos, etc may not be an issue but overheating panels certainly might still be. I'd definitely like to know if this heat dispersion issue is fixed with the latest round of TVs before I commit to another one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom