2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

The calibrations from the factory are professionally calibrated. I am sure LG doesn't just pull these calibrations out of their ***
Playing devil's advocate here, does LG do calibrations on each individual TV? If not, they are not particularly accurate since all panels vary.

I was told by the Sony rep in John Lewis that the A90's are individually calibrated (and A80's are not). Whether this is true, I have no idea.

Playing devil's advocate here, does LG do calibrations on each individual TV? If not, they are not particularly accurate since all panels vary.

I was told by the Sony rep in John Lewis that the A90's are individually calibrated (and A80's are not). Whether this is true, I have no idea.
A lot of things on social media just get repeated over and over until they become "apparent" facts. I am sure there is very little panel variation, burn in isn't an issue except in some peoples minds and marketed by Samsung and rtings.com, and the brightness of OLEDs exceeds what is needed to make highlights pop.

Last edited:
A lot of things on social media just get repeated over and over until they become "apparent" facts. I am sure there is very little panel variation, burn in isn't an issue except in some peoples minds and marketed by Samsung and rtings.com, and the brightness of OLEDs exceeds what is needed to make highlights pop.
I suspect you are right on many fronts.

The calibrations from the factory are professionally calibrated. I am sure LG doesn't just pull these calibrations out of their ***
Tvs are not pro calibrated at all,they just get in a general ballpark,LG sets this year ,from what I heard/read seemed the most accurate, custom mode on the A90J the least accurate.

All the sets ive had have benefitted from a pro calibration, results ranging from subtle differences to quite noticeable ones. The GZ2000 I had clearly showed a big difference from being in calibrated mode to ootb custom in sdr switching back and forth. The first GZ2000 I had had a green cast to it,and these sets were supposed to be incredibly accurate ootb,but they certainly wasn't.

Had a A90J calibrated just yesterday, and seeing the calibrated result vs the custom ootb settings clearly show a difference and its certainly not a placebo.

But if people are happy with their ootb settings then it's still good as the set will still show a fantastic pic :smashin:

And the best TV reviews are also done by people who actually calibrate the sets they are reviewing

I am sure LG and Sony have pro calibrators working for them that are as good as any other pro calibrator. They have tons of sophisticated equipment to do these calibrations. They have research and development departments that are looking for every way to perfect their TVs and beat out the competitors. Rtings.com, flatpanelhd, cnet, give their opinions of settings. I am sure LG and Sony have calibrators that are just as competent.

Last edited:
And the best TV reviews are also done by people who actually calibrate the sets they are reviewing
And it is these same reviewers who point out that in the case of e.g. the G1 and the A90J that the OOTB performance is such that colour errors are not visible and therefore are not visibly improved by their calibrations.

Look, I am not saying there is zero value in having any calibration on any TV - of course there can be. My point is just that when a TV is pretty good out of the factory, the benefits are much less. Maybe a slight improvement, or maybe just a slight difference. It's for others to decide whether the cost is warranted or not. I for sure, will not be having my new TV calibrated. I might tweak it myself with my own colorimeter, perhaps.

Last edited:
With OLED TVs if these reviewers say burn in is not a reasonable concern anymore and that OLED exceed requirements needed to make highlights pop in HDR you don't need their expertise anymore. Samsung and certain reviewers market this talk.

Just tested the A90J again against the HZ2000 in the Store.

HZ2000 still beats it everytime. People say Sonys upscaling is better but when I put Resolution Remaster on Auto ( which is like Reality Creation ) Panasonic Upscaling is equal.

The Colours and 3D Feeling is Superior on the Panasonic

I have both A90J and HZ2000, in 55 inch. When I purchased Sony A90J in early June, I was expected to be even better than Panasonic HZ2000. I am coming from a very long and happy experience with Sony TVs, as in the last 20 years all my TVs were from Sony.
But after I have them both, I could tell you frankly that I love more the picture of HZ2000 than A90J.
A90J is good but HZ2000 is even better. I do not know now, maybe I had bad luck with panel lottery and my Sony set was not the best one possible, but there are no visible issues with panel.

No they don't and anyone claiming they do is just demonstrating that they don't know or appreciate what a professional calibration involves.

Last edited:
No they don't and anyone claiming they do is just demonstrating that they don't know or appreciate what a professional calibration involves.

"Is this worth it for you? I can see both sides of this, though it's hard for me to be unbiased, as I can calibrate my own TV. Despite what proponents of calibration tell you, the difference between calibrated and uncalibrated settings for most TVs isn't huge. This difference is getting even more narrow, as the better modern TVs tend to be relatively accurate out of the box (i.e. before calibration) in their best picture settings. Not perfect, mind you, but significantly closer than TVs from 10+ years ago.

So if you put the TV in the Movie or Cinema preset, choose the "warm," "low," or in some cases "medium" color temperature mode, and you use a setup disc to get your other settings correct, it's going to be "close enough" for most people, and likely more than adequate. If you don't want to bother with that, or you want to make sure it's as accurate as possible, calibration might be worth it."

When you take into consideration that their are far greater differences in peoples tastes for color temperature, sharpness, brightness, etc. than there is of panel variation in TVs I would say that a professional calibration is a waste of money for most people. On the other hand if getting your TV calibrated gives you peace of the mind then it is certainly worth it.

Last edited:
Has anyone checked the Ethernet LAN speed for the newer TV models? Wanted to verify if it is really limited to only 100 Mbps. My older Philips 65OLED984 is showing max 99 Mbps using speedtest and Netflix network check. Still works well with streaming HDR and Dolby Vision content. My fiber provides 1 Gbps by the way, and wifi reaches max 600 Mbps but I experience dropouts, so turned wifi off and happy with wired ethernet for HDR/DV streaming. Using Cat7 ethernet cable by the way.

Can you pls check yours and share. Would appreciate. Thanks.

Given one of my UniFi Access Points is less than a meter from my A90J I would always stick with WiFi over Ethernet
I created a specific 5Ghz SSID just for my TV & Mini-PC (PLEX Media Server) to use only and both hit pretty much my max isp bandwidth of 200Mbps.

For Ethernet, I believe many people don't trust the onboard ethernet capabilities of their TV's and thus plug in a better 1GBps Ethernet adaptor into it via the USB 3.x port.

I’m almost at the point of pulling the trigger on a 65” LG C1 and am alternative at that price point please , first OLED and I’ll be getting it from RS 👍

Has anyone checked the Ethernet LAN speed for the newer TV models? Wanted to verify if it is really limited to only 100 Mbps. My older Philips 65OLED984 is showing max 99 Mbps using speedtest and Netflix network check.
Netflix recommended a network speed of 25Mbps for uninterrupted 4K streaming, so I'm curious to know what you would need a speed of over 100Mbps for ?

I thought TV manufacturers include 100Mbps ethernet ports because TVs wouldn't benefit from anything faster.

Netflix recommended a network speed of 25Mbps for uninterrupted 4K streaming, so I'm curious to know what you would need a speed of over 100Mbps for ?

I thought TV manufacturers include 100Mbps ethernet ports because TVs wouldn't benefit from anything faster.
For his own local media centre perhaps.

I really hope someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my LG C9.
For some reason Gsync is not working anymore.

In the Pendulum demo Gsync is working just fine, but whenever I try to play any game I get horrendous frame pacing issues. The judder we all dread so much.

I've tried different hdmi ports, hdmi cables (including the one that came with my PS5) but nothing seems to resolve this issue.
The weird thing is that Gsync was working just fine until some 3 weeks ago.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Tried vsync on, vsync off. Limiting the frame rate. Only when the frame rate is rock solid I dont get any judder. Whenever there is any fluctuation in frame rate the judder begins...

I was experiencing buffering for some live channels using wifi despite 1Gbps broadband, and after seeing AVTest explanation, 100Mbps ethernet is the best option to use.

I was experiencing buffering for some live channels using wifi despite 1Gbps broadband, and after seeing AVTest explanation, 100Mbps ethernet is the best option to use.
I can't vouch for the new models, but I have my GZ OLED hard-wired to my router via a network switch and receive the full 72Mbps that I would expect. I've never experienced any buffering when streaming in all resolutions via the standard catch-up apps, Netflix (4K), Disney+ or Prime, although I'm lucky in that my connection does seem to be very stable.

HELP! Have just sold my 55 LG C9 and bought a 55 Sony A90J. The picture from Sky HD+ box was ALWAYS very good with the C9, but the new Sony is absolutely dreadful. There is very little sharpness to the picture and the picture is not natural looking in any picture setting; it's like watching everything in SD. Are the latest TV processors trying to do too much? I haven't ran it for many hours at present, but doubt that that would make much difference. I'm looking to change it for either an LG G1 or C1 (may be the C1 as it probably won't have the EVO panel; if that's the issue). As an added thing, in the past I have tried 3 Sky Q boxes and found each was poor at doing HD, and the HD specific box does a much better job. Thanks.

HELP! Have just sold my 55 LG C9 and bought a 55 Sony A90J. The picture from Sky HD+ box was ALWAYS very good with the C9, but the new Sony is absolutely dreadful. There is very little sharpness to the picture and the picture is not natural looking in any picture setting; it's like watching everything in SD. Are the latest TV processors trying to do too much? I haven't ran it for many hours at present, but doubt that that would make much difference. I'm looking to change it for either an LG G1 or C1 (may be the C1 as it probably won't have the EVO panel; if that's the issue). As an added thing, in the past I have tried 3 Sky Q boxes and found each was poor at doing HD, and the HD specific box does a much better job. Thanks.
Most reviewers seem to say the image appears sharper on the Sony than the LG, so something is not right. No idea what though.

I noticed cramptonandmoore from UK now do OLEDs calibrated by themselves and signed off by Vincent Teoh.

2-3 weeks wait but it would be like a hole in one Ting

Last edited:
I noticed cramptonandmoore from UK now do OLEDs calibrated by the great Vincent Teoh

Thanks: today I saw an LG G1 and C1 and another Sony A90J connected to Sky HD. The Sony was easily the worst picture in the shop and I am now exchanging the Sony for an LG.

I noticed cramptonandmoore from UK now do OLEDs calibrated by the great Vincent Teoh

I think this looks like Vinny has trained staff in the shop. To perform some calibration, rather than vinny doing it himself. And I'm not sure how good the quality will be. And also getting you tv calibrated in a shop, really needs calibrating at home.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom