2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

@MJeeves7 A 65" A90J owner since April 2021 and have to say it's exceeded all my expectations as an all-round premium OLED that's ticked pretty much every box there is.

If you're happy to wait for the UK catchup apps or have another means of accessing them via an Android streaming device then pull that trigger.
just shame its not in 77inch

just shame its not in 77inch
It was a very strange decision to skip a size by Sony for their Premium range, only to include it in the A80J series.?
I may very well have been tempted by a 75-77" panel of the A90J. The 83" though... just far too big for my office and would simply look ridiculous.

@MJeeves7 A 65" A90J owner since April 2021 and have to say it's exceeded all my expectations as an all-round premium OLED that's ticked pretty much every box there is.

If you're happy to wait for the UK catchup apps or have another means of accessing them via an Android streaming device then pull that trigger.
Thank you or your feedback on the A90J - all of that is great to know and is really helping with my decision making. Have you noticed any drawbacks to the A90J NOT having HDR10+ ???

Thank you or your feedback on the A90J - all of that is great to know and is really helping with my decision making. Have you noticed any drawbacks to the A90J NOT having HDR10+ ???
no because it has dolby vision which is more widely available on streaming apps. i think the A90J is the best tv I've owned and I'm coming from 3 Panasonics

FWIW, I have pondered endlessly, considering G1, C1, HZ2000, waiting for JZ2000 and also A90J. I have swung between favouring one, then another and then back to the first one etc.

FINALLY, I have decided to plump for the A90J. In many ways the G1 makes more sense - and is cheaper. But for me, I dunno, every time I see the A90J in store, I watch content on it and think WOW. I just don't quite get the same from the G1. I don't know why, maybe it's the content being shown, but for whatever reason, the Sony just seems to do it for me, more than the G1 does.

So that's it. Made my mind up. The only question is do I pull the trigger like today, or wait a few weeks and see if there's a 10% off or similar deal once everyone has supply. I know what the logical answer is, but since when has logic been what drives us ;-)

Just tested the A90J again against the HZ2000 in the Store.

HZ2000 still beats it everytime. People say Sonys upscaling is better but when I put Resolution Remaster on Auto ( which is like Reality Creation ) Panasonic Upscaling is equal.

The Colours and 3D Feeling is Superior on the Panasonic

HZ2000 still beats it everytime. People say Sonys upscaling is better but when I put Resolution Remaster on Auto ( which is like Reality Creation ) Panasonic Upscaling is equal.

When you say "tested", what do you mean exactly?

Again, all this stuff is great to know guys. Thank you.
Impartial comparisons are so important - especially as not all of us feel quite ready to go into stores yet for long periods of time to demo screens. I hope Steve Withers, Phil Hinton and the team get a chance to compare the Panny JZ2000 and the Sony A90J.

I took my SSD with movies shows and went to the store and made a comparison between the A90J and Panasonic.
Thanks, good to know.

The HZ2000 always impressed me the most last year, but the combination of common colour staining, and then the downgrade in near-black performance of the JZ2000, has put me off Panasonic.

Whether it's better than the A90J in proper controlled (e.g. AV Forums) testing, we will see.

Thanks, good to know.

The HZ2000 always impressed me the most last year, but the combination of common colour staining, and then the downgrade in near-black performance of the JZ2000, has put me off Panasonic.

Whether it's better than the A90J in proper controlled (e.g. AV Forums) testing, we will see.
VT said that the A90J and even the A80J had more saturated colours at higher brightness levels than the JZ 2000. Wether that's true for the HZ 2000 as well idk...

What I seem to hear (and therefore gather) is that the Sony A90J has more 'pop', but the Panny's are more 'lifelike'.

I hope to get whichever set I go for calibrated by a pro-calibrator so I guess that will 'even the two sets out in terms of pop and lifelikeness'??

What I seem to hear (and therefore gather) is that the Sony A90J has more 'pop', but the Panny's are more 'lifelike'.

I hope to get whichever set I go for calibrated by a pro-calibrator so I guess that will 'even the two sets out in terms of pop and lifelikeness'??
I think terms like "pop" and "lifelike" are complete red herrings when comparing two TVs both with delta-E's sub 3.

The very definition of a well calibrated set is that it is diplaying the content as he content provider intended, so there is no room for more "pop" or it would not be as intended! And no-one is going to notice a highlight being 700 nits vs another one of 680, for example. Your eyes just don't work like that.

The only variations you could possibly see would be maybe better upscaling or better motion handling. Seeing as the Sony is regarded as being either best in class (or very close to it) in both departments, again, difficult to see how the Panasonic could be much better, if any.

I think terms like "pop" and "lifelike" are complete red herrings when comparing two TVs both with delta-E's sub 3.

The very definition of a well calibrated set is that it is diplaying the content as he content provider intended, so there is no room for more "pop" or it would not be as intended!

The only variations you could possibly see would be maybe better upscaling or better motion handling. Seeing as the Sony is regarded as being either best in class (or very close to it) in both departments, again, difficult to see how the Panasonic could be much better, if any.
Exactly what I meant too. These terms (pop, lifelike, etc) are fine for the showroom floor... but a calibration of these sets should equal them out (making them both a conduit for the filmmakers intent). Except... like you said for motion handling, upscaling, dirty screen effect etc.

And honestly, I think the benefits of a pro-calibration are hugely diminished these days when you get out-of-the-box performance as good as that seen in e.g. the G1 or A90J. One could actually say it's a bit - if not a complete - waste of time.

The one advantage I do see, is maybe to get the TV pre-calibrated by someone like Crampton & Moore, so that they - rather than you - can spot if the panel is a duff one in the first place, and save you the whole load of hassle in RMA'ing it. In fact I'd be happy pay just for a panel-check service and forget the calibration, to be honest.

And honestly, I think the benefits of a pro-calibration are hugely diminished these days when you get out-of-the-box performance as good as that seen in e.g. the G1 or A90J. One could actually say it's a bit - if not a complete - waste of time.

The one advantage I do see, is maybe to get the TV pre-calibrated by someone like Crampton & Moore, so that they - rather than you - can spot if the panel is a duff one in the first place, and save you the whole load of hassle in RMA'ing it. In fact I'd be happy pay just for a panel-check service and forget the calibration, to be honest.
I was thinking that... but they are too far 'up north' ;) :)

If you like it mate go for it

Sorry fella, have to disagree with that statement. While I do agree that a lot of the TV's these days are very good OOTB, the A90J being one of them, they're still very much tailored for retail display.

Others and myself have had their's pro isf calibrated over the last few months and you can deffo see a marked difference when the calibrator compares the Custom/Standard OOTB settings to a Custom Pro calibrated configuration.

I was deffo one who thought when I unboxed it that there was no way the OOTB settings couldn't be improved upon much, as I was already very impressed with what I saw at that point. I was however wrong.

Sorry fella, have to disagree with that statement. While I do agree that a lot of the TV's these days are very good OOTB, the A90J being one of them, they're still very much tailored for retail display.

Others and myself have had their's pro isf calibrated over the last few months and you can deffo see a marked difference when the calibrator compares the Custom/Standard OOTB settings to a Custom Pro calibrated configuration.

I was deffo one who thought when I unboxed it that there was no way the OOTB settings couldn't be improved upon much, as I was already very impressed with what I saw at that point. I was however wrong.
We'll have to differ on that one. I have done my own calibrations previously with my i1 Display Pro and after a lot of faffing about, found it made a difference but not like night and day. If your ISF'd calibration is markedly different then either your TV wasn't very close to calibrated in the first place, or the calibrator is playing tricks to make it look like what he's delivered is worth it. IMO. Eyes are a terribly bad objective measurer of absolute colour.

I do wonder if it's a bit like the hifi demos where they switch one cable for another and secretly turn the amp up a notch at the same time, whilst claiming how much better then expensive cable sounds. Colours with delta-e's less than 3 look the same as other colours with delta-e's less than 3. Calibrated or not.

Last edited:
I do think it is GREAT that these sets now are soooo much better than they used to be 'out of the box'. I'll still probably get it professionally calibrated (whichever one I get), but I'm an enthusiast (nerd?) so I'm into getting every last bit of quality out of my screen/system. I can however, completely understand why people wouldn't want to - considering the superb 'out of the box' performance of a lot of these sets.

I do think it is GREAT that these sets now are soooo much better than they used to be 'out of the box'. I'll still probably get it professionally calibrated (whichever one I get), but I'm an enthusiast (nerd?) so I'm into getting every last bit of quality out of my screen/system. I can however, completely understand why people wouldn't want to - considering the superb 'out of the box' performance of a lot of these sets.
Placebo IMO. I have an expensive hifi with expensive cables and connectors and I know the latter make **** all difference, but it didn't stop me buying them! Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective) I am 100% clear that it makes no difference and that I have just wasted my money and I am OK with the fact. Others have to justify to themselves that their expensive cable sounds SO much better, having blown a load of money on it.

I am sorry to say I am totally convinced the same is true of 2021 TV calibration.. Marginal difference? Maybe. Improvement? Nope. Our eyes are not sensitive enough and even a picture that is objectively "wrong" will look the same unless you have 2 TV's side by side, which of course we never do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom