2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Has anyone moved from an fz802 over to the C1? The panasonic retail prices where huge so just wondering how the LG can supply a tv as good for much less?

Panasonic P50VT65B retailed at £1800

Panasonic TX-55FZ802B retailed at £2300

The LG 48C1 retails at £1300?

Will I see an improvement moving from the FZ802 to the C1?

thanks

Just not us mate.. :D

Ha ha of course... I mapped out all the price drops based on previous years...Sony seem the hardest to predict..other than black Friday...LGs are already good value.

Sounds good, except they've joined LG's penny pinching with lack of DTS passthrough. Whats the point of earc if it can't bitstream everything as it receives it from the source?

I find earc confusing, I can understand why the TV itself can't output DTS due to licensing but passing it through to something else shouldn't be a licensing issue surely? The TV isn't touching that or decoding it just passing it to an amp or soundbar that can.

Too many compromises in the JZ for me... So looks like I'm waiting another year

Has anyone moved from an fz802 over to the C1? The panasonic retail prices where huge so just wondering how the LG can supply a tv as good for much less?

Panasonic P50VT65B retailed at £1800

Panasonic TX-55FZ802B retailed at £2300

The LG 48C1 retails at £1300?

Will I see an improvement moving from the FZ802 to the C1?

thanks
Ive gone from a 55fz802 to a sony 65a8 obviously not a 21 oled but as in picture quality i see nothing only a bigger screen with better apps. If anything the sony has a advantage with sport but other than that nothing

Too many compromises in the JZ for me... So looks like I'm waiting another year
I'm erring towards the same conclusion. I had so hoped this would be an HZ2000 only better, and then I would probably have jumped. But the near-black handling being a downgrade on the HZ? Wow, that really is a bummer. And worse IR and it's not using the EVO panel either, again very disappointing.

The curved ball now is do I try to pick up an HZ2000 "cheap" whilst the last few are available?

I'm erring towards the same conclusion. I had so hoped this would be an HZ2000 only better, and then I would probably have jumped. But the near-black handling being a downgrade on the HZ? Wow, that really is a bummer. And worse IR and it's not using the EVO panel either, again very disappointing.

The curved ball now is do I try to pick up an HZ2000 "cheap" whilst the last few are available?
HZ2000 no Disney App and Stutter Issues when connected via HDMI

HZ2000 no Disney App and Stutter Issues when connected via HDMI
I don't understand how they can make near black worse than the previous models?

Let's face facts - the vast majority of people looking at a Panasonic are focused solely on PQ and primarily on improved black performance. When reviews indicate that's a step back there's no wonder why people would look backward or elsewhere.

Let's face facts - the vast majority of people looking at a Panasonic are focused solely on PQ and primarily on improved black performance. When reviews indicate that's a step back there's no wonder why people would look backward or elsewhere.
Panasonic...( and my last 3 tvs were pannys) need to refresh there smart apps aswell.

Panasonic...( and my last 3 tvs were pannys) need to refresh there smart apps aswell.
Yeah, that would be great but, for me, will never be a deal breaker for the "best picture" as I work to ensure my external sources are top drawer.

How well LG A1 60Hz panel does 24p ? at the moment 55'' is 999€ (FInland) and i have no need for anything else than 4k movies and random tv-watching. I understood that A1 has static 50 or 60Hz ?

tia

I don't understand how they can make near black worse than the previous models?
Changed the chipset so they could support HDMI 2.1

I couldn't give a toss about gaming and HDMI 2.1 to be honest, so for me it's definitely a downgrade on the HZ2000. (I also couldn't give a toss about no Disney app on the HZ2000, or occassional stutter - which I am pretty immune to anyway.)

I agree. Sure there will be some buyers who are completely price-insenstive and clueless and who will buy a JZ2000 because of all sorts of random reasons.

But most buyers in the market for a £3,500 65", you would assume would be quite knowledgeable and discerning - or else why not get an LG A1 or something? Or an LCD (god forbid).

So to ruin arguably the best feature of the Panasonic OLEDs, simply so they could support HDMI 2.1? Infuriating. I'm guessing it was a no-win situation for them though: The reviews would have slammed them if they still didn't support HDMI 2.1 on the 2021 models.

Last edited:
So in 2021 which is the BEST picture quality:

Sony A90J (brighter (more nits) but expensive?)
Sony A80J (not very bright?)
Panasonic HZ2000 (risk of dirty screen effect or poor screen uniformity / and stutter???)
Panasonic JZ2000 (after Vincent's review... maybe not???)

From what I've read so far... it's leaning towards the Sony A90J... BUT what are your thoughts on these sets? It's the 65 inch versions that I'm after. Thank you.

So in 2021 which is the BEST picture quality:

Sony A90J (brighter (more nits) but expensive?)
Sony A80J (not very bright?)
Panasonic HZ2000 (risk of dirty screen effect or poor screen uniformity / and stutter???)
Panasonic JZ2000 (after Vincent's review... maybe not???)

From what I've read so far... it's leaning towards the Sony A90J... BUT what are your thoughts on these sets? It's the 65 inch versions that I'm after. Thank you.
Why are you asking? From your research your opinion is as good as anyone else on here. Don't question your evaluation skills. Buy the Sony A90J and enjoy your close to perfect OLED.

Why are you asking? From your research your opinion is as good as anyone else on here. Don't question your evaluation skills. Buy the Sony A90J and enjoy your close to perfect OLED.
Thanks... but I do really value other people's input - especially other knowledgeable home cinema enthusiasts and pro calibrators or people with first hand experience and ownership of the aforementioned TV panels. :)
So, whilst none of the sets I listed are perfect - they all have flaws... would the Sony A90J be the best of the bunch for picture quality (I'm not fussed about gaming or audio as I don't play many games and I have a surround sound set-up). Cheers.

@MJeeves7 A 65" A90J owner since April 2021 and have to say it's exceeded all my expectations as an all-round premium OLED that's ticked pretty much every box there is.

If you're happy to wait for the UK catchup apps or have another means of accessing them via an Android streaming device then pull that trigger.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom