2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

In the month I’d had the HZ the dreaded fame stutter had not reared its head (or not that I’d noticed) until the other night, when I may have spotted it with a DV source.
But it was one of those, did I see it or not type of things.

As far as I can tell, frame drops only occur on HZ series OLEDs with Dolby Vison content.

As a point of comparison, if any HZ series owners have The Shining on UHD BD, watch the opening credits sequence, with helicopter shots of the Volkswagen winding through mountain roads. Then toggle between HDR10+ and DV output on your BDP.

Watching that credits sequence in HDR10+ there are no frame drops. When I switch to DV, there are four noticeable frame drops in the space of roughly one minute. This is perfectly repeatable. The frame drops occur in exactly the same place every time.

I don't know why this is. There's something about Panasonic's DV implementation that seems to cause this rare problem. Having said that, I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey on UHD BD yesterday, in Dolby Vision, and there were no frame drops at all.

As far as I can tell, frame drops only occur on HZ series OLEDs with Dolby Vison content.

As a point of comparison, if any HZ series owners have The Shining on UHD BD, watch the opening credits sequence, with helicopter shots of the Volkswagen winding through mountain roads. Then toggle between HDR10+ and DV output on your BDP.

Watching that credits sequence in HDR10+ there are no frame drops. When I switch to DV, there are four noticeable frame drops in the space of roughly one minute. This is perfectly repeatable. The frame drops occur in exactly the same place every time.

I don't know why this is. There's something about Panasonic's DV implementation that seems to cause this rare problem. Having said that, I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey on UHD BD yesterday, in Dolby Vision, and there were no frame drops at all.

Here is LOTR Fellowship of the Ring (DV from blu-ray disk) on HZ980. Every time stutter occurs red line appears on the bottom. Seems to happen with specific scenes transitions.

Here is LOTR Fellowship of the Ring (DV from blu-ray disk) on HZ980. Every time stutter occurs red line appears on the bottom. Seems to happen with specific scenes transitions.

To me that's barely noticable when slowed down like that, it looks so choppy anyway it's hard to differentiate a missed frame from the general slower motion. I see the red flash but barely notice the skip. Have you got a full speed version?

I know this thread is more focussed on yh higher end models, but in terms of making OLED accessible to everyone, this is hard to beat. The 65" Philips OLED 705 is £1124 at Curry's (Others may price match).

That's a brand new, 2021 release OLED for £1124, with a 65" screen. Mental. I've shared the link in another thread so apologies, just trying to help those of us looking for a quality TV without spending a fortune.

I've got a RS voucher to spend, and that seems almost too good to be true.

I did ask a few days ago about the Phillips OLED's, as the ambilight seems ideal for my situation (mounted on a large, empty, white wall)

Are they largely in-keeping with the other 3 main options?
Is it worth paying more for a better model in the range?

Happy to and I shared your view that Plasma was difficult to beat in terms of picture quality for SD/HD and the 55VT65B is staying in one of the Daughters rooms and I’d still take the plasma over almost any LCD screen.

Having said that I’m a bit of a convert to OLED now and not just for the extra 10” of screen real estate.

Sources and Picture quality (all picture aids other than IFC are disabled)

Sat feed with SD/HD o 720i/p/1080i output by the receiver as 1080p
SD Channels about on par with the Plasma, but does depending on the quality of the feed and how much compression there is. Compression artifacts are more visible but I think that’s mainly due to the extra size emphasising them
Low bitrate channels do look ropey but that’s the case in both the HZ and the VT
HD Channels looks excellent (i.e. BBC HD, BBC4 HD etc)

4K Fire stick for HD/UHD
HD is excellent, upscales well and appears to have more detail and obvious sharpness than the plasma + the benefits und general picture quality
UHD is WOW: Very Bright when needed but just more depth to the image, better near black graduation, more pop compared to the VT. The benefits in colour gamut coverage/saturation are also big plusses as is the extra sharpness

Freeview play / iPlayer
Freeview: HD channels look as good if not better than on the VT and benefit from the upscaling performance
Freeview: SD Channels, are decent, mainly but can suffer a little from the extra 10” on the HZ but are perfectly watchable, if it’s a decent channel, drop down the list to some of the more bit staved channels and the macro blocking and noise is more visible than on the plasma, again mainly due to the extra screen size
iPlayer: Given that it’s not generally delivering 1080i it’s surprisingly good, I would say excellent for the HD programmes and on par with the Freeview comments above for SD, In fact probably a little better than the Plasma. Certainly no worse

Other Catchup app: Again pretty much a wash between the HZ and the VT, very dependant on the quality of the source and bitrate/compression. Compression artifacts can be more noticeable as edge noise. The biggest differences are again more noticeable due to the extra screen real estate if compared on similar sized TV’s I doubt there would be a noticeable difference

DVD/Blu-ray/UHD
DVD output as 566i and upscaled by the HZ, looks excellent for SD and as good as the plasm, but with the advantages under “General Picture Quality”
Blu-ray – I’d say is better than the Plasma, upscaling is excellent and has more perceived detail, colour is definitely richer
UHD – No contest, for detail, brightness, contrast, richness of colours and those specular highlights

General Picture quality:
The HZ blacks are way deeper than the Plasma, especially in a dark room, no more faint plasma glow on the credit screens, backgrounds are inky black
Contrast ration also is much better than the plasma,. Giving good material and almost 3D depth
Colours are also richer, especially for HD/HDR and about on par for SD
Comparing the same UHD source via a 4K Firestick on the HZ and a 4K 2nd Gen Fire stick, outputting 1080P on the VT, the plasma is a little smoother maybe but less sharp and defined, just feels fuzzier

Brightness, details in shadows and highlights un HDR material is just something else, which does make the plasma look anaemic in comparison

Upscaling and detail are excellent from HD sources

Brightness: The HZ is way brighter than the VT even on full field screens with SD/D material and just WOW with HDR. It really is night and day difference (Using Pro1/2 and Filmmaker mode)

Motion:

Always a bit of a subjective topic and I’m not sure how sensitive I am to some motion artifacts

One the VT I’d never had a complaint and generally had IFC disabled for Blu-ray or on Min for all other sources and never had an issue or complaint

On the HZ I’ve not played enough to really hone it in, IFC off and Min seem fine for 24p sources and Min for Broadcast SD/HD seems ok

Big mountain flyover scenes (via Freeview) are not quite as smooth as the Plasma but IFC Min seems to get the HZ closer. Have to factor in though the extra screen size and impact

The Plasma probably just nudges it though but fine tuning the HZ may make close the gap to being imperceptible, I have not really done much assessment with BFI as of yet
In the month I’d had the HZ the dreaded fame stutter had not reared its head (or not that I’d noticed) until the other night, when I may have spotted it with a DV source.
But it was one of those, did I see it or not type of things.

Of course these are just my own observations and experience but hope they help.
Is the Plasma excellent and would I take it over most LCD Tv's? Yes without a doubt, is some motion noticebly better, yes but not by much and I think with tweaking they can be matched for SD/HD.
Would I go back to the Plasma as my main display? not a chance.
Wow ! Thank you so much for that thorough review comparison.

Wow ! Thank you so much for that thorough review comparison.
Welcome hope it proves useful to you:
Watched some Lucifer on Netflix last night in Dolby Vision and the wide fly over / panning shots of LA from the air looked perfectly smooth motion wise, with just IFC set to Min.

Also did some comparisons of the Falcon and Winter Soldier 4K Dolby Vision into the HZ and 4K Downscaled to 1080p for the VT. The additional brightness and black graduation and sharpness are wins for the OLED, but the biggest difference was detail in the highlights, such as car headlights / tail lights.

Out of interest did you use IFC on your plasma? I don't on mine, I can't stand the way it looks so if it looks anything like the plasma version I'd not use it. I am a bit worried about panasonic motion on the JZ.

Welcome hope it proves useful to you:
Watched some Lucifer on Netflix last night in Dolby Vision and the wide fly over / panning shots of LA from the air looked perfectly smooth motion wise, with just IFC set to Min.
I don’t have to watch ‘Lucifer’ on the TV...he is my nextdoor neighbor !🤣

Out of interest did you use IFC on your plasma? I don't on mine, I can't stand the way it looks so if it looks anything like the plasma version I'd not use it. I am a bit worried about panasonic motion on the JZ.
No IFC for Blu-Ray/DVD or Firestick (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+) but on for broadcast TV.
Too early to tell what the JZ will bring.
So far not seeing anything that jars on the HZ, but I may have different tolerances than others to motion issues.

To me that's barely noticable when slowed down like that, it looks so choppy anyway it's hard to differentiate a missed frame from the general slower motion. I see the red flash but barely notice the skip. Have you got a full speed version?

Hmm, I don't think full speed version will make it any better. It's hard to capture to be as visible as it is in person, so I used slow motion mode from my phone's camera which records in 240 fps and puts the result in 30 fps video. Also, it's captured from HZ980 which is the only Pana OLED to do 3:2 pulldown on 24 Hz content, so frames aren't displayed in even time intervals making hitches a bit less obvious on this video. Anyway, this stutter isn't too jarring in person either but the problem is that LOTR intro has a lot of those scene transitions that trigger it, so during those first ~8 minutes of the movie it occurs around 10 times. It's subtle but annoying. Some content never triggers it, with other it may happen few times in a quick succession.
Also, there is another problem (possibly related) with micro freezing in between "hard-cut" type of scene transitions. Here's a video, it's recorded in Dolby Vision IQ mode which has a bit of motion interpolation turned on by default. Turning off motion interpolation will make it much less ovious but it's still there. Once I knew it's there I kept looking for it while watching movies and it just felt annoying because it can happen randomly any time.

I haven't seen any problems with HDR10. If there are any they are rare enough to be not an issue for me.

Last edited:
Early french review of the JZ000

Thank you for sharing this.

Looks amazing but hopefully one of the reviews will test the stutter issue that occurred on scenes with lots of smoke.

The JZ1500 will be amazing for those with separate home theatre systems (such as myself) 😁

Thank you for sharing this.

Looks amazing but hopefully one of the reviews will test the stutter issue that occurred on scenes with lots of smoke.

The JZ1500 will be amazing for those with separate home theatre systems (such as myself) 😁

Review from flatpanelshd was the only one I've seen that mentioned stutter in Dolby Vision. Vincent did only focus on those smokey scenes and similar in HDR10 but those don't seem to be too much of a problem now.
Hopefully new SOC resolves everything, it really should.

Last edited:
I’m confused on that. Sometimes I read that ifc custom > deblur set on 2/3 and dejudd set on 2/3 make one of the best motion ever seen on oled without soe. Sometimes I read from Panasonic owners that motion is not good because ifc set on min introduce soe. So where is the truth? Seems like the owners don’t know the best set for motion. Sometimes I read bfi make the motion better (even if unfortunately the brighness goes dimmer). I guess it's something related to their viewing preferences, but why don't they all use ifc > custom as some owners say it improves motion without lowering the brightness?

I've not spent enough time with oleds to tell you how I find their motion but I know I can't stand any IFC on my plasmas so if any of the motion settings on oled do that sort of thing I'm not turning them on at all.

Hoping for a bit of advice as having difficulty deciding. I have always had Panasonic Plasmas in the past (50" V10, 50" VT65) and now an 55" OLED FZ802.
I have purchased a PS5 and Xbox series X so was considering changing the TV to get the most out of the consoles but am struggling to decide on the best TV to go with as the LG's are also getting great reviews. (both consoles are currently HDMI to Denon AVR-X3500H then feed to TV, pretty sure receiver is not 2.1 so would need to use EARC from tv if changing TV)
The current tv is probably a little to large for the room (about 12 foot wide) so would likely be looking at around the 50" size.
guessing would be happy spending up to around £1500

Last edited:
Hoping for a bit of advice as having difficulty deciding. I have always had Panasonic Plasmas in the past (50" V10, 50" VT65) and now an 55" OLED FZ802.
I have purchased a PS5 and Xbox series X so was considering changing the TV to get the most out of the consoles but am struggling to decide on the best TV to go with as the LG's are also getting great reviews. (both consoles are currently HDMI to Denon AVR-X3500H then feed to TV, pretty sure receiver is not 2.1 so would need to use EARC from tv if changing TV)
The current tv is probably a little to large for the room (about 12 foot wide) so would likely be looking at around the 50" size.
guessing would be happy spending up to around £1500
If it’s mainly for gaming LG C/G1 is the best choice TBH, for gaming LG are better then both Sony and Panasonic

Perhaps a slightly tough question. Looking to upgrade the lounge TV from a 65" C6 to the 77" CX or C1. My issue is that I'll need one of those VESA pedestal stand things that can raise up the screen higher than a Monitor Audio A40 sitting horizontally (so like 140mm). Looking for something that's comparable quality to the screen itself though; and I know a lot of these things can be a bit "cheap". Any recommendations?

I have the CX 48 inch and I haven't been able to find anything I don't like about it. For me it is a perfect TV.
Thanks for the feedback. Is the first time I have moved away from Panasonic so was apprehensive.

don’t get me wrong, the FZ802 is great, just feels like I’m missing out on the ps5/series X potential as it’s not 2.1

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom