2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

@Tjopper
dem near blacks tho :love:

ExG5FqHWUAMuc3b.jpg

dem near blacks tho :love:
Go away you Sony lover :rotfl:

But seriously, this is a picture of 1 mm off the screen? To be honest, the video I saw had plenty of black in it and I didn't notice the black dithering when being close to the tv. Might has something to do with my eyes?? :D

Anyway, I would like to enjoy my new tv based on real life content and 'normal' watching distance and not by comparing slides or close up screen shots. So, show me the impact it has on 'normal' viewing please.

Go away you Sony lover :rotfl:

But seriously, this is a picture of 1 mm off the screen? To be honest, the video I saw had plenty of black in it and I didn't notice the black dithering when being close to the tv. Might has something to do with my eyes?? :D

Anyway, I would like to enjoy my new tv based on real life content and 'normal' watching distance and not by comparing slides or close up screen shots. So, show me the impact it has on 'normal' viewing please.
Watch the vincent teoh vid, this is lg noise dithering on near blacks.. sony now do it the same way as pany do it = no noisy swarm of bees on near blacks. Can be seen from any seat in the house.

Watch the vincent teoh vid, this is lg noise dithering on near blacks.. sony now do it the same way as pany do it = no noisy swarm of bees on near blacks. Can be seen from any seat in the house.
Okay, I will check it. Guess it also concerns the famous 'Game of Thrones' scene.

But do you think it will have high impact given the fact how many of those scenes with near black you encounter when watching movies?

Just to put things into perspective. This is the comment of the same reviewer you showed the near blacks picture of when he commented on a question about the A90J vs G1:

1620410510071.png

Well I'd say to be honest they will both be fine on decent content..
However how good is that reviewer if he thinks LG motion is better than sony motion :eek::eek::eek::D

This comes from Consumer Reports in the USA when they tested a 65 inch A90J and also when they tested a 55 inch A90J.

HD PICTURE QUALITY of the A90J.
HD picture quality was Excellent. Reproduction of fine HD image detail was Excellent. Image detail was very exaggerated and made images appear less natural, despite our attempts to minimize this with the sharpness control. Color accuracy was Excellent, so colors, especially flesh tones, look very natural and lifelike. Excellent contrast—the difference between the darkest blacks and brightest whites—gave images great depth and dimension. Black levels were Excellent, and delivered very deep blacks that enhanced contrast in dark scenes. This was among the brightest models we’ve tested (with the Brightness control turned up), so the picture was well suited for a very sunny room—a lower setting is recommended for a dimmer viewing environment. Its reproduction of smooth edges on image content for "up-converted" HD-to-UHD images fell short with some visible "jaggies" (jagged edges); deinterlacing of 1080i video was Excellent; and film mode detection from 1080i content was Excellent.

Rtings.com gives both of these TVs a 8.8 rating whereas Consumer Reports says the A90J is a downgrade from last year because of the exaggerated image detail.

The only way you will know for sure is buy both TVs and do the comparison yourself. Most professional reviewers say they are so close it is hard to notice the difference.

Last edited:

This comes from Consumer Reports in the USA when they tested a 65 inch A90J and also when they tested a 55 inch A90J.

HD PICTURE QUALITY of the A90J.
HD picture quality was Excellent. Reproduction of fine HD image detail was Excellent. Image detail was very exaggerated and made images appear less natural, despite our attempts to minimize this with the sharpness control. Color accuracy was Excellent, so colors, especially flesh tones, look very natural and lifelike. Excellent contrast—the difference between the darkest blacks and brightest whites—gave images great depth and dimension. Black levels were Excellent, and delivered very deep blacks that enhanced contrast in dark scenes. This was among the brightest models we’ve tested (with the Brightness control turned up), so the picture was well suited for a very sunny room—a lower setting is recommended for a dimmer viewing environment. Its reproduction of smooth edges on image content for "up-converted" HD-to-UHD images fell short with some visible "jaggies" (jagged edges); deinterlacing of 1080i video was Excellent; and film mode detection from 1080i content was Excellent.

Rtings.com gives both of these TVs a 8.8 rating whereas Consumer Reports says the A90J is a downgrade from last year because of the exaggerated image detail.

The only way you will know for sure is buy both TVs and do the comparison yourself. Most professional reviewers say they are so close it is hard to notice the difference.
Hmmmm...

Well I'd say to be honest they will both be fine on decent content..
However how good is that reviewer if he thinks LG motion is better than sony motion :eek::eek::eek::D

He's not the first one. There are polarised opinions on Sony's motion this year. And I can imagine why - Sony's interpolation on A8H even on the lowest setting introduced way too much SOE for me with 24 fps movies. LG's "cinematic movement" implemented on 2021 models aims to have as low SOE as possible. So if Sony didn't improve much in terms of interpolation and LG's new setting is really that good as some claim then LG might have a slight edge (with movies at least, not necessairly with sports).
Motion handling is so subjective though that you would have to compare both side by side to know for sure which one is the best for you.

He's not the first one. There are polarised opinions on Sony's motion this year. And I can imagine why - Sony's interpolation on A8H even on the lowest setting introduced way too much SOE for me with 24 fps movies. LG's "cinematic movement" implemented on 2021 models aims to have as low SOE as possible. So if Sony didn't improve much in terms of interpolation and LG's new setting is really that good as some claim then LG might have a slight edge (with movies at least, not necessairly with sports).
Motion handling is so subjective though that you would have to compare both side by side to know for sure which one is the best for you.
Yeah I have been reading more into it, also seems the sony has some kind of movie 24 fps stutter if motion turned up. 🤔

Yeah I have been reading more into it, also seems the sony has some kind of movie 24 fps stutter if motion turned up. 🤔
Haven't touched the Motion Handling on my A90J since getting it OOTB.
Appears to be very smooth when using the Custom/Cinema PQ mode for 24fps movies and Custom PQ mode for Sport, from my eyes anyway.

I did, however, notice very slight judder when characters/people very first start to move or stop when using some of the other PQ modes but have not determined if any motion handling settings are enabled in those modes as of yet, but have a suspicion that they may be and that's the cause!

Haven't touched the Motion Handling on my A90J since getting it OOTB.
Appears to be very smooth when using the Custom/Cinema PQ mode for 24fps movies and Custom PQ mode for Sport, from my eyes anyway.

I did, however, notice very slight judder when characters/people very first start to move or stop when using some of the other PQ modes but have not determined if any motion handling settings are enabled in those modes as of yet, but have a suspicion that they may be and that's the cause!
Thanks
I'm very appreciative of honest feedback from new owners :thumbsup:

I recently got an A8 and I noticed the same with SOE. I was getting it until I disabled Film mode all together and disabled Smoothness. No level of interpolation would be free of noticeable SOE for me. BFI works good though for non hdr sources. For live sport I have smoothness set to 1 as SOE doesn't matter for that content.

Now the flip side is everything else about the Sony is better than the LG for me (I had 2 CX's returned for various reasons). There are no stuttering of artefacts on Sony. LG was plagued with them for me especially with Sport.

Whats the source for that, a slide or actual content? i.e. Do we know what should be shown according to whats encoded in the source.

Also the proof is in the pudding as they say. What matters is how each technique works in the wild and what the content you view looks like. Yes when zoomed in on a 2% slide Sony's approach may look significantly better. But on real material, where you have compression artefacts/mastering hiding the nasty stuff near black (as historically consumer displays wouldn't have been able to show this), there could be positives/negatives for each approach.

Lots is written about the differences between OLED's. But for a few years now, IMO there is very little between them. I very much doubt most people would kick any modern OLED out of bed :) It's only if you're conditioned to a particular manufacturers approach or very susceptible to certain issues that which one you buy really matters IMO.

NB: I'm a Sony 77AG9 owner, so no LG bias here. But I suspect I'd probably have been happy with a 77CX as well.

Whats the source for that, a slide or actual content? i.e. Do we know what should be shown according to whats encoded in the source.

Also the proof is in the pudding as they say. What matters is how each technique works in the wild and what the content you view looks like. Yes when zoomed in on a 2% slide Sony's approach may look significantly better. But on real material, where you have compression artefacts/mastering hiding the nasty stuff near black (as historically consumer displays wouldn't have been able to show this), there could be positives/negatives for each approach.

Lots is written about the differences between OLED's. But for a few years now, IMO there is very little between them. I very much doubt most people would kick any modern OLED out of bed :) It's only if you're conditioned to a particular manufacturers approach or very susceptible to certain issues that which one you buy really matters IMO.

NB: I'm a Sony 77AG9 owner, so no LG bias here. But I suspect I'd probably have been happy with a 77CX as well.
Yeah it was a slide from a reviewer..
I know all 2021 oleds will be sweet, I'm actually 99.9% going to go with a c1 77" myself :love:
A good all rounder for my movies and gaming :)

Looks like my 2016 KS7000 is going to be written off under warranty, so I'll have £900 on a voucher to spend. Happy to add some on top, and I really fancy a 65" OLED.
I've always thought the LG models were the "go to" given that they make the panels, but its been a solid 4 years since I've really looked into anything to do with mid-high level tellies.

Is there a short answer these days?

Looks like my 2016 KS7000 is going to be written off under warranty, so I'll have £900 on a voucher to spend. Happy to add some on top, and I really fancy a 65" OLED.
I've always thought the LG models were the "go to" given that they make the panels, but its been a solid 4 years since I've really looked into anything to do with mid-high level tellies.

Is there a short answer these days?
LG = Best for gaming
Sony = Best motion-handling
Panasonic = Best picture quality

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom