2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Totally agree, I always played it safe and went for 50/55" but pushed the boat on my HZ, panel wise it appears I'v been lucky as there are plenty with faults, it did have a slight red tint but that was largely calibrated out and weirdly as I approach 1000hrs its got cleaner on a 100% white slide............
How is your dark uniformity?

How is your dark uniformity?
Generally good, as mentioned before I have a slightly brighter area far left which you can see on a 5% and below slide; this is only evident on around 3 DV movies on the Apple TV which you can see in a pitch black room.

Generally good, as mentioned before I have a slightly brighter area far left which you can see on a 5% and below slide; this is only evident on around 3 DV movies on the Apple TV which you can see in a pitch black room.
Every screen has an issue or two, none are perfect :)

You're in for a treat mate.:thumbsup:
I just upgraded from a 55" to 65" as well two months back. It's a big upgrade. At first I was like: "Man that's huge", but I already adopted to it and now I'm thinking: "Well, maybe 77" isn't as ridicolous as I thought". :rotfl: :D

EDIT: Seating distance is about 10 feet.
Er...yea, your gut was right. You DID need a 77” from 10’.😎
We sit 12.5’ away from a 108” screen. Perfect ! So according to charts, a 77” is actually recommended in order to discern 4K detail.
Still, if nothing else, the excellent HDR on your 65” panel will be very very beneficial.👍

Last edited:
We sit 12.5’ away from a 108” screen. Perfect ! So according to charts, a 77” is actually recommended in order to discern 4K detail.
Still, if nothing else, the excellent HDR on your 65” panel will be very very beneficial.👍
Haha, yea I know, I read the THX recommandations and was shocked :laugh:
Honestly, I feel like 65" is pretty much perfect for this viewing distance for mixed usage and longer viewing (which I often do).
I can definately imagine a 77" screen in my living room ;) but I'm pretty sure that that would be too exhausting to watch for longer periods of time. If you "only" use it for home theater, so just watch movies from time to time (and only one movie at a time!), I'd say: "Hell yeah! Go for a bigger TV".

Interesting. I too am 12.5 away from the screen and have had a 65" for a number of years. Now that it's time for a change I'm nervous about getting a larger screen .eg. 77" I worry that the HD 'normal' stuff will be washed out.

I've got to say looking at the box it does seem quite big, but I'm sure in a few days it will seem normal. :laugh:

Every time I've gone looking at TV's I've lusted after the 65" but thought they were too much to spend. Then I've gone looking at the Sony's and thought they're really nice but not worth the extra over the LG. So I've really pushed the boat out this time and bought with my heart rather than my head as I usually do. :D

I'm going to do the same and am encouraged by you 'following your gut'. I'm wondering if I have the guts to go to 77" from the comfortable 65" I have had for almost 8 years. Aaargh

Interesting. I too am 12.5 away from the screen and have had a 65" for a number of years. Now that it's time for a change I'm nervous about getting a larger screen .eg. 77" I worry that the HD 'normal' stuff will be washed out.
Again, I am NOT a close-up guy when I go to the movie theater. In fact sitting in the front third of the theater almost makes me sick to my stomach (head left to right). So I am a MIDDLE to middle-back area guy. Having said that, our dedicated theater has a 108” screen. It is NOT 4K, but rather 2K 1080p projector. We sit 12.5 ft. away. It is not even close to my periphery (left to right). I could probably go bigger, but 108” (9’) really feels
G R E A T.
Go to stores with a measuring tape. I can tell you that watching a 65” panel from 12.5’ away is actually doing your eyes harm if you watch in a dark room. I have multiple eye issues...I know eyes ! The problem with a teeny-tiny screen (and 65” is teeny from 12.5’) is that the contrast of screen to the room is massively different. I never realized what a major favor I was doing for my eyes with a 108” screen in a blacked-out room ! The screen takes up a MUVH bigger percentage of my vision. My eyes-to-brain read THAT and my pupil closed to the reference of the screen. With a screen almost HALF that size, my eyes are not sure what they should adjust to.
I have a friend with a 60” Pioneer Kuro plasma. He sits an insane 16’ away. He can not discern 1080p detail (and 4K would be a complete waste of $$$).

Bottom line: MOVE CLOSER regardless of what else you do and/or go 77” at least.
There are guidelines backing this up. SMPTE, THX, etc.
Good luck !

Again, I am NOT a close-up guy when I go to the movie theater. In fact sitting in the front third of the theater almost makes me sick to my stomach (head left to right). So I am a MIDDLE to middle-back area guy. Having said that, our dedicated theater has a 108” screen. It is NOT 4K, but rather 2K 1080p projector. We sit 12.5 ft. away. It is not even close to my periphery (left to right). I could probably go bigger, but 108” (9’) really feels
G R E A T.
Go to stores with a measuring tape. I can tell you that watching a 65” panel from 12.5’ away is actually doing your eyes harm if you watch in a dark room. I have multiple eye issues...I know eyes ! The problem with a teeny-tiny screen (and 65” is teeny from 12.5’) is that the contrast of screen to the room is massively different. I never realized what a major favor I was doing for my eyes with a 108” screen in a blacked-out room ! The screen takes up a MUVH bigger percentage of my vision. My eyes-to-brain read THAT and my pupil closed to the reference of the screen. With a screen almost HALF that size, my eyes are not sure what they should adjust to.
I have a friend with a 60” Pioneer Kuro plasma. He sits an insane 16’ away. He can not discern 1080p detail (and 4K would be a complete waste of $$$).

Good luck !
Thanks for that most thoughtful and insightful encouragement. Ironically, and right to your point, I have a projector and 90” screen that I use infrequently for movies and concerts which is great in the dark. I’m going to put it on now and start testing your theory. It’s old but it’s still good. And I will certainly check out the bigger screen sizes in a store.

G R E A T.

Good luck !
I have a philips oled.. And I find ambilight with movies very nice.. With brighter scenes the edges of the tv dissappears because of the light behind the tv extending the image . And if the scene gets dark.. everything is gone. I didn'expect to use the ambilight.. But for series or movies its very nice and good..

I have a philips oled.. And I find ambilight with movies very nice.. With brighter scenes the edges of the tv dissappears because of the light behind the tv extending the image . And if the scene gets dark.. everything is gone. I didn'expect to use the ambilight.. But for series or movies its very nice and good..

It’s an interesting experience that has its origins in a regular cheap as chips lamp placed behind a tv directed at the wall to provide contrast. And ambilight proved popular.

G R E A T.

Good luck !
Don’t suppose you a have a link for the correct information I keep coming across conflicting articles 👍

Don’t suppose you a have a link for the correct information I keep coming across conflicting articles 👍
I found this one:

What size TV should I buy for my living room? @thx.com

Unless my calculations are wrong you can 10x the feet distance between the couch and the TV to get the recommended TV size. So 77" for 7.7 ft.

The above recommendation page ends with:
But for 4K or UHD TV sets, the process is a little different since the nearer you sit to these models, the more detail you’ll be able to pick up.
Edit: I also found the TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science @rtings.com that discusses the field of view aspect in detail.

Rtings recommends a field of vision of about 30 degrees for mixed usage as opposed to the 40 degrees recommended by THX for movie watching. This means about 10.5 ft for a 77" TV.

Last edited:

Summary (translated from comment under video):

We have a WINNER in the form of the SONY A90J that for cinema and movies is the best in the comparison, for maximum brightness, ABL, COLOR and HDR ...... it is closely followed by its little sister the Sony A80J and a step behind we have the "off-road" LG C1 which is a very remarkable TV BUT it lacks a bit of brightness and ABL to achieve excellence .... (although this Korean OLED has improved with the years and it's a very allround OLED). In the GAMES section, the tables will surely change ... and I guarantee that with any of the 3 you will have an EXCELLENT image !!!

Last edited:
Hi there
Help me please as I Can’t decide at all
Quick one, 77C1 vs 65A90J
According to distance calculator I need 71inches
I’m with old burnt as hell 55c6 from 2016 and I would prefer 77” but then again I watched all the available reviews on line and it seems that Sony has the edge in term on PQ. So, if I’m about to choose 65 I think that I would wait for JZ1500/2000 and then decide.
do you think that bigger even with a slightly worse PQ like C1 is actually better than smaller Sony? I need a WOW factor this time.
PS in my country both of them are in the same price
Help🧐
Cheers

Hi there
Help me please as I Can’t decide at all
Quick one, 77C1 vs 65A90J
According to distance calculator I need 71inches
I’m with old burnt as hell 55c6 from 2016 and I would prefer 77” but then again I watched all the available reviews on line and it seems that Sony has the edge in term on PQ. So, if I’m about to choose 65 I think that I would wait for JZ1500/2000 and then decide.
do you think that bigger even with a slightly worse PQ like C1 is actually better than smaller Sony? I need a WOW factor this time.
PS in my country both of them are in the same price
Help🧐
Cheers
Why do you not consider the 77A80J ?

Hmm, good question, need to think about it
Thanks for an option 👍

So today I went to the store to get my first experience with the new OLEDs of 2021. They only had the LG's on display (as they are just moved to another building) as the new Sony's are not in yet.

I watched this movie on an 77G1 and 77C1

The picture on the G1 was fantastic. The light signs seem to pop out of the screen and as a whole it had a 3d look. I was very impressed (coming from a Sony W905 that is not a surprise ;))

On the C1 the picture was still great, but it lacked that pop and it looked more flat (2d). I did not expect this, but the difference between the C1 and G1 was very noticeable for the movie shown.

Also the picture looked very good on the G1 when using a 1080 cable TV source. All in all I was very impressed about the quality of the LG Oled Tvs, especially the G1.

Both TV s were near a wall of windows (the C1 from a left angel and the G1 had the window right behind it). Both TVs could get bright enough to eliminate the reflections. Also very impressed with that.

Overall I really like the G1 and I am looking forward to compare it with the A80J. Two things are certain, new TV will be an OLED and will be 77 inch :)

So today I went to the store to get my first experience with the new OLEDs of 2021. They only had the LG's on display (as they are just moved to another building) as the new Sony's are not in yet.

I watched this movie on an 77G1 and 77C1

The picture on the G1 was fantastic. The light signs seem to pop out of the screen and as a whole it had a 3d look. I was very impressed (coming from a Sony W905 that is not a surprise ;))

On the C1 the picture was still great, but it lacked that pop and it looked more flat (2d). I did not expect this, but the difference between the C1 and G1 was very noticeable for the movie shown.

Also the picture looked very good on the G1 when using a 1080 cable TV source. All in all I was very impressed about the quality of the LG Oled Tvs, especially the G1.

Both TV s were near a wall of windows (the C1 from a left angel and the G1 had the window right behind it). Both TVs could get bright enough to eliminate the reflections. Also very impressed with that.

Overall I really like the G1 and I am looking forward to compare it with the A80J. Two things are certain, new TV will be an OLED and will be 77 inch :)

GREAT post, sir ! Interesting observations.
I am waffling between a SONY 65”A90J and a 77” LG G1.

I am waffling between a SONY 65”A90J and a 77” LG G1
If the 77 inch size has been seen, I cannot be unseen :rotfl: For me 65 inch is a no go, the extra immersion you get with the 77 inch version is incredible!

So, next comparison for me will be A84J vs G1. And then I will decide what Tv to go for.

Price wise after just inquiring I got an offer for € 4499,- for both the 77A80J and 77G1. So maybe the price might get even lower. On top of that both Sony and LG have cashback actions running here in The Netherlands (€ 500,- for the G1 and € 1000,- for the A80J). So getting a A77A80J for € 3.499,- or less is also very tempting :) To be continued..........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom