2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Do 80% of my TV viewing of an evening in the dark or dim light... That remote is going to be worth its weight in gold with that backlight and voice control. Both my Shield Pro and Panny UB820 have backlights, so I'm all sorted... :clap:
I actually ordered one as they're now popping up on ebay!
For if I get the a80j or if i do get the a90j then its just a spare one which is cool because - kids.

guy accepted best offer, got it for 45 euro :love:

EECB564A-50E4-4731-9B15-52E252218FAD.jpeg

Bad experience?
No never bought anything from them , have been in the Bristol branch , just got a feeling returns may be more difficult with them and non-transferable warranties .. rather go safe go JL.

No never bought anything from them , have been in the Bristol branch , just got a feeling returns may be more difficult with them and non-transferable warranties .. rather go safe go JL.
That's your serial returners sixth sense kicking in :love:

I actually ordered one as they're now popping up on ebay!
For if I get the a80j or if i do get the a90j then its just a spare one which is cool because - kids.

guy accepted best offer, got it for 45 euro :love:

View attachment 1497879
I can't find any on E-BAY .

I also follow and engage with whisper status 74..he was in VE with a 77 inch C1 looked magnificent to my eyes

People who don't draw their curtains when watching their expensive TV

View attachment 1498189
Or have the TV sat facing a huge bay window o_O

My A09J will have a small window to the left-hand side of it, higher up, but I recently replaced the curtains (which were letting too much light in through the sides), with thick slatted 50mm wooden blinds within the window recess. Pretty darn dark even in the morning when the sun shines on that side of the house. Things get pretty close to very dark when the sun moves over the house to the other side from 1pm onwards. So all good for watching daytime afternoon sports.

I'm also very lucky that cause my office is at the rear of the property, I have no street lights making a nuisance of themselves and shining that horrible orange glow into the room. Pitch black of an evening/night. :clap:

Yep, Sevenoaks would not be top of my list to buy from.
Bad experience?
I've just ordered a 65" A90J from them (after telling myself for weeks I'm a fool if I don't get a 55" given all the panel issues over on AVS). I'll let you know how I get on.

Basically, I couldn't get the free headphones from John Lewis as I had a pre-order previously (that I cancelled to get the G1). They have made the codes one-time-use. I'm not missing out on at least £100 cash back when I sell them on via eBay or what have you...

It also means I'm missing out on the £140 "ProtectPlus" insurance, but the lady on the phone told me that burn-in from "standard use" (i.e. not having Sky News on all day) would be covered by their guarantee. I'll believe it when I see it, but... Anyway.

She was honest enough to say "we probably wouldn't consider red tinting a fault, but 'unwanted purchases' can be returned for a refund within 30 days, no questions asked, with a courier charge".

That's fine by me, to be honest - your average Joe probably won't burst a blood vessel at the sight of a slight red tinge in a snowy scene, so I'll consider the courier charge a fine for being so picky.

She did also say that they've had so many orders for it that I may not be in the first wave of deliveries, which start "at the end of April", but in the wave that happens a week later.

Last edited:
I've just ordered a 65" A90J from them (after telling myself for weeks I'm a fool if I don't get a 55" given all the panel issues over on AVS). I'll let you know how I get on.

Basically, I couldn't get the free headphones from John Lewis as I had a pre-order previously (that I cancelled to get the G1). They have made the codes one-time-use. I'm not missing out on at least £100 cash back when I sell them on via eBay or what have you...

It also means I'm missing out on the £140 "ProtectPlus" insurance, but the lady on the phone told me that burn-in from "standard use" (i.e. not having Sky News on all day) would be covered by their guarantee. I'll believe it when I see it, but... Anyway.

She was honest enough to say "we probably wouldn't consider red tinting a fault, but rather as an unwanted purchase, and we will refund unwanted purchases within 30 days no questions asked, but you will have to pay for the courier".

That's fine by me, to be honest - your average Joe probably won't burst a blood vessel at the sight of a slight red tinge in a snowy scene, so I'll consider the courier charge a fine for my geekiness...

She did also say that they've had so many orders for it that I may not be in the first wave of deliveries, which start "at the end of April", but in the wave that happens a week later.
Hope you get a good one mate :)
ps.. I just started last night watching jack bauer 24 from the start, on disney plus.. never seen it before :blush::blush::blush: watched a few episodes, seems good:thumbsup:
Now I have like 8 seasons to watch and keep me busy :laugh:

Ehhh anti reflection.............not present :( So OLEDs are for dark rooms only I guess

View attachment 1498155

That is just a very, very inaccurate conclusion. I wish people would not write "off the top of their heads" conclusions ! I mean, it was clearly EXPLAINED that THAT store has an immense and huge storefront window, with the sun streaming in thru it. WHAT would you expect?!! There is no...repeat, NO panel that would withstand that type of abuse from streaming (and B I G ), essentially headlight. Why, do you ask, would a retailer then allow his store material to be "affronted/attacked" by such light? Simple: he has to allow public stroll-by viewers to look in and be enticed by equipment...that's why. Your living room/family room hopefully will NOT require the public to leer into your private living space.
C'mon, Tjopper.

2 big windows in my living rm, the closest one to my oled is a double full glass french door, My room get's nice and bright and has light coloured walls etc but I have never ever thought my oled wasn't bright enough or been bothered by reflections.

I see the samsung lcd with the fancy anti reflective coating but to me it looks way worse than a oled screen as it gives of a super distracting rainbow effect across the screen :zonked:

That is just a very, very inaccurate conclusion.
It is more an impression of what I did see in the video and in no way a scientifically proven conclusion ;)

I wish people would not write "off the top of their heads" conclusions
Me too, asking for context would have led to a proper discussion. Or something like this:
2 big windows in my living rm, the closest one to my oled is a double full glass french door, My room get's nice and bright and has light coloured walls etc but I have never ever thought my oled wasn't bright enough or been bothered by reflections.

mean, it was clearly EXPLAINED that THAT store has an immense and huge storefront window, with the sun streaming in thru it. WHAT would you expect?!! There is no...repeat, NO panel that would withstand that type of abuse from streaming (and B I G ), essentially headlight. Why, do you ask, would a retailer then allow his store material to be "affronted/attacked" by such light? Simple: he has to allow public stroll-by viewers to look in and be enticed by equipment...that's why. Your living room/family room hopefully will NOT require the public to leer into your private living space.
C'mon wolvernole, you really think I did not take that into account? All I wanted is some 'real life' reactions related to OLED reflection handling. But fair enough, I should have been more specific also :) In time I will find out myself when comparing some TVs here in the stores when they become available,

Last edited:

She was honest enough to say "we probably wouldn't consider red tinting a fault, but 'unwanted purchases' can be returned for a refund within 30 days, no questions asked, with a courier charge".

That's fine by me, to be honest - your average Joe probably won't burst a blood vessel at the sight of a slight red tinge in a snowy scene, so I'll consider the courier charge a fine for being so picky.

JL usually bugger up the protect plus being added on the oleds in general, usually takes them a week or 2 to update the site, you should be able to ring up within 60 days and still get the protect plus though. Think D&G number is : 0333 000 4994

I did this with my LG cx last year when protectplus was not available online for almost 3 weeks.

It is more an impression of what I did see in the video and in no way a scientifically proven conclusion ;)

Me too, asking for context would have led to a proper discussion. Or something like this:

C'mon wolvernole, you really think I did not take that into account? All I wanted is some 'real life' reactions related to OLED reflection handling. But fair enough, I should have been more specific also :) In time I will find out myself when comparing some TVs here in the stores when they become available,

I apologize for perhaps being a bit brusque. I do stand by my recognition of Robert Zohn’s A/V “severely compromised” store set-up. A necessary compromise obviously, in order to show his wares from the street side. The reflections are...yes, horrible, but a natural reaction to a scientific principle, no doubt.
“Rtings” actually was complimentary of SONY A90J reflections-fighting ability. Check it out.

I apologize for perhaps being a bit brusque.
No worries :)

I do stand by my recognition of Robert Zohn’s A/V “severely compromised” store set-up. A necessary compromise obviously, in order to show his wares from the street side. The reflections are...yes, horrible, but a natural reaction to a scientific principle, no doubt.
I do agreed and the method “Rtings” used was the immediate cause I posted my observation to get some real life feedback on that. Maybe you missed my comment:
2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

So to give you an impression here is a picture of my audio/tv setup (the TV's are a mockup of a 65 and 77 inch size that are reasonably on scale):
1619072562336.png

The wall to the right is more than 2 meters wide so no direct (sun)light from that side of the TV. On the wall of the TV we have a small vertical window to the left and a round window 1 meter further on. Both windows have roller shutters so no problem from that side either. So the left side of the room is made out of French doors and 2 windows on each side. This side is on the south side and will get a lot of direct (sun)light during the day. We got an awning and curtains there to make the light less intense, but it will still be relatively brighter compared to the rest of the living room. From all watching angels the windows and doors of the south side are never directly reflected in the TV. So I think we will be good if going for an OLED.

8 years ago I did have 2 Panasonic plasmas for a while but I cannot remember what my experience with them was in respect to reflections.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom