2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

I'm lucky as my wife is very easy going and enjoys films and hates soap operas! She was even ok with the SVS PB 1000 I just bought, "it's quite large" was the only comment. Have you thought of mocking up a 65" sized piece of cardboard and sitting in front of it to see how looks?
You know what that's a great idea.. considering I'm in building trade surprised I didnt think of that...????!!!!
That's great shes understanding... my Mrs is pretty good but I'm a bit ott at times...have a an old kef setup in front room but gradually down graded it from 7.1 to now only 4 speakers and sub in the loft as it's normal TV they watch 90% of the time.. doesn't bother me so much as have my den.. the pb1000 was something I was looking at but ended on getting a bk for my den as we were thinking of moving and I'm planning on leaving kit in my den as part of the sale....previously I tried to talk her into me putting my old krp600 in front room before I moved everything round then the 5090 in back room but ended up selling it.. only made my den as kids kept having friends over filling up sitting rooms.. young adults now but it's the best thing I've done.. as locked up, my decor.. my rules.. saying that we all watch films in there occasionally and it was great in lockdown..

I'm lucky as my wife is very easy going and enjoys films and hates soap operas! She was even ok with the SVS PB 1000 I just bought, "it's quite large" was the only comment. Have you thought of mocking up a 65" sized piece of cardboard and sitting in front of it to see how looks?
I'm lucky like you. My wife is also into films and does not watch any soap crap (We have around 4000 films in total between our DVD/BD collection and what's on my NAS box. Also got streaming film sevices like Sky, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime). Sport wise we have the same taste as well with Rugby and F1. :):):)

I did the cardboard thing some time ago and lived with a mock up 83" for a few weeks. No problem with the larger screen. Mind you only going from a 75". Even re-arranged furniture in the living room so it looks better. Some useful suggestions actually coming from the Mrs.

Just wish I could buy the 83A90J. Sony just seem to be a joke at the moment and God knows when we will see the TV's. A bit like their fiasco with the PS5 - been waiting 5 months for that. :(:(:(

Try this viewing distance calculator its from thx labs :

Thx Viewing distance calculator

I had the same issue with more classical films from 80s-90s being in full screen vs the letterbox latest films, migraines, headache and neck aches are known symptoms (I work with computers) if you are viewing it too close or too far away or even if its not positioned correct at eye level.

I noticed this issue with my 48" Lg oled, it was not good for my eye health and I was a good 1.2 Metre away should have been 2-3+ metres really, you have to try to get the right set up and viewing distance, I used Lgs eye comfort or flux app for PC which helped out, actually flux is on majority of time for PC use.

Cardboard mock up trick helps but really its very different when the screen is in front of you !

I'm lucky like you. My wife is also into films and does not watch any soap crap (We have around 4000 films in total between our DVD/BD collection and what's on my NAS box. Also got streaming film sevices like Sky, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime). Sport wise we have the same taste as well with Rugby and F1. :):):)

I did the cardboard thing some time ago and lived with a mock up 83" for a few weeks. No problem with the larger screen. Mind you only going from a 75". Even re-arranged furniture in the living room so it looks better. Some useful suggestions actually coming from the Mrs.

Just wish I could buy the 83A90J. Sony just seem to be a joke at the moment and God knows when we will see the TV's. A bit like their fiasco with the PS5 - been waiting 5 months for that. :(:(:(
An 83" TV is a proper size! Sadly nowhere to put one that size in my house. Why do they design house the way they do? Too many windows and doors! Even wise in my 1970's build, there's a real lack of sockets, I'll have to get someone in eventually and get some more put in.

An 83" TV is a proper size! Sadly nowhere to put one that size in my house. Why do they design house the way they do? Too many windows and doors! Even wise in my 1970's build, there's a real lack of sockets, I'll have to get someone in eventually and get some more put in.

Unless you have a mansion they never really thought TV screens would ever get to the sizes they are now...
Sometimes joke with my wife imagine you could time travel and go back to 1987 or something (when I was 9) and see Aliens or terminator with a 55 inch oled bluray discs etc rather than the whole family watching vhs on a 19 or 22 inch .CRT in the lounge... !!! Be unreal... youd be the main man...!! good luck getting people to leave your house though..

Try this viewing distance calculator its from thx labs :

Thx Viewing distance calculator

I had the same issue with more classical films from 80s-90s being in full screen vs the letterbox latest films, migraines, headache and neck aches are known symptoms (I work with computers) if you are viewing it too close or too far away or even if its not positioned correct at eye level.

I noticed this issue with my 48" Lg oled, it was not good for my eye health and I was a good 1.2 Metre away should have been 2-3+ metres really, you have to try to get the right set up and viewing distance, I used Lgs eye comfort or flux app for PC which helped out, actually flux is on majority of time for PC use.

Cardboard mock up trick helps but really its very different when the screen is in front of you !
Thought I would try that calculator. It's pretty damn close to the 83" being spot on at my 11' viewing distance.:clap:

Unless you have a mansion they never really thought TV screens would ever get to the sizes they are now...
Sometimes joke with my wife imagine you could time travel and go back to 1987 or something (when I was 9) and see Aliens or terminator with a 55 inch oled bluray discs etc rather than the whole family watching vhs on a 19 or 22 inch .CRT in the lounge... !!! Be unreal... youd be the main man...!! good luck getting people to leave your house though..
Very true. I'm looking forward to the upgrade to a 65" OLED, decent step up from a 46" 1080p Samsung. Building up a 4K Blu-ray collection of my favourite films in anticipation.

Very true. I'm looking forward to the upgrade to a 65" OLED, decent step up from a 46" 1080p Samsung. Building up a 4K Blu-ray collection of my favourite films in anticipation.
Cool.... be an amazing difference... huge size jump...!!! I went from a 50 inch krp500 to 600 then changed layout of the room so sat alot closer and got a 55inch oled... some of the blurays in 4khdr are amazing things like bladerunner 2049 etc but have to be careful as some are not such a massive upscale to traditional bluray or worse infact..
I found 1978 Halloween lionsgate 4khdr was not as good as the 35th anniversary steelbook 1080p bluray... the intro with the pumpkin had light flashing on the sides of the screen .. thought something wrong with my TV.. put in the full HD bluray and was alot cleaner... night and day difference..

Thought I would try that calculator. It's pretty damn close to the 83" being spot on at my 11' viewing distance.:clap:
You also need to be pretty close to be able to benefit from the extra resolution of 4K. I've never understood people who sit 3 or 4 metres away from their 4K 55" screen - what's the point?

I'm weighing up the sony vs the 83 C1, The sony has obviously better PQ than the C1 (where as I couldn't really tell difference between C1 and G1) I primarily use the screen for gaming and am worried the Sony VRR will be poor.... so I am finding this a tough decision.

I'm weighing up the sony vs the 83 C1, The sony has obviously better PQ than the C1 (where as I couldn't really tell difference between C1 and G1) I primarily use the screen for gaming and am worried the Sony VRR will be poor.... so I am finding this a tough decision.
Im buying the Sony I'm going be using mine for gaming ps5. I know the Sony h900 from last year had vrr sorta it wasn't official vrr but it did sort of worked with the ps5 so I hoping that that the a90j will have same feature till Sony gets its act together. Or who ever make the display adapters to make vrr work. Panasonic may be a option depending on how they get vrr working.

Im buying the Sony I'm going be using mine for gaming ps5. I know the Sony h900 from last year had vrr sorta it wasn't official vrr but it did sort of worked with the ps5 so I hoping that that the a90j will have same feature till Sony gets its act together. Or who ever make the display adapters to make vrr work. Panasonic may be a option depending on how they get vrr working.
You can sort of get my reticence here though. You're paying a premium for a potentially dodgy feature Vs the rock solid provision from LG (I have a cx and c9 already).

I'm just frustrated they didn't offer the G1 in 83.

Vincent Teoh did an interview with TCL who are using the same mediatek chipset in their LED TV's this year and the rep said they're testing VRR now with no complaints so far from testers. He implied it wasn't the chipset at fault but the way manufacturers are implementing VRR. Seems hopeful if they can get it working that others will too

Seems hopeful if they can get it working that others will too
That was a good video, usefully candid.

I'm going to hold fire until it's working flawlessly on series x and ps5 tbh. Hopefully there will be stock remaining in June!

I'm in the same. Not buying until the back end of the year so I've got some time to see how it pans out. But Sony wins if they can get VRR to work properly via HDMI on an Nvidia GPU. If not I guess I've no choice but the LG G1. (I'm 55" though).

Nice review of the A90J

Hmmmm...interesting. So it's good, but in a an incremental sort of way, and doesn't match the Panny HZ2000 for consistent peak brightness. It's also less accurate out of the box.

So assuming the JZ2000 has the new panel plus the heatsink, it should blow the Sony out of the water.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...interesting. So it's good, but in a an incremental sort of way, and doesn't match the Panny HZ1000 for consistent peak brightness. It's also less accurate out of the box.

So assuming the JZ2000 has the new panel plus the heatsink, it should blow the Sony out of the water.
Unless you want a proper sized tv :(:suicide:

Hmmmm...interesting. So it's good, but in a an incremental sort of way, and doesn't match the Panny HZ1000 for consistent peak brightness. It's also less accurate out of the box.

So assuming the JZ2000 has the new panel plus the

Yet it still scored higher than its closest competitor oleds on there own ratings system.

Unless you want a proper sized tv :(:suicide:
Nothing to be done about that unfortunately. the Sony is obviously an excellent TV in it's own right, but it just sounds like the new panel brightness has been a bit overhyped. I don't think anyone buying one is going to be disappointed though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom