2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Thanks gents. More wondering how on earth we’ve scratched the screen. Always used a micro fibre cloth

:) This is what worked best for us too. We have a 9 year old 42 inch Panasonic plasma TV in our bedroom that is wall mounted and tilted forward a bit. The tilt makes that the dust cannot attach to the screen and the height makes that is is highly unlikely the screen gets touched by anything.

For the Sony in our living room we have tried all kinds of cleaning. At the moment we use this: View attachment 1493018
Another popular good one... :thumbsup:

Thanks gents. More wondering how on earth we’ve scratched the screen. Always used a micro fibre cloth
Look to your Avatar for the answer.... :laugh:

I just want a size upgrade to be honest mate.
thinking I should just get the new c1 77" for 3 grand cheaper than the 83 a90j :rotfl:
or the g1 77 for £2300 cheaper. 🤫

If my c9 was 77" I'd be happy as a pig in sh...
Oh Jmacc what is going on?.. I go on holiday for a couple of weeks and come back to see you have jumped ship and left me behind🤣.
It was all but a sure thing an 83" A90J would be arriving in your living room not so long ago and now it looks like it may be the G1.

In all honesty my enthusiasm for the A90j is also fading. 83" is also pushing it space wise for me, plus the extra premium we pay in Japan for Sony ( their own f*cking brand 🤬 🤬 🤬) compared to the rest of the world. The A9G 77" here is still over £4000.

I still believe the A90J will be the peak of picture quality for 2021 ( barring Panasonic for price reasons and no size above 65") but I'm starting to have my doubts the performance gap between it and the G1 or A80J is as big as first believed.

Hoping for a direct comparison video from Vincent soon to hopefully help justify my thoughts and save me a tonne of money in the process.

In all honesty my enthusiasm for the A90j is also fading. 83" is also pushing it space wise for me, plus the extra premium we pay in Japan for Sony ( their own f*cking brand 🤬 🤬 🤬) compared to the rest of the world. The A9G 77" here is still over £4000.

I still believe the A90J will be the peak of picture quality for 2021 ( barring Panasonic for price reasons and no size above 65") but I'm starting to have my doubts the performance gap between it and the G1 or A80J is as big as first believed.

Hoping for a direct comparison video from Vincent soon to hopefully help justify my thoughts and save me a tonne of money in the process.
Hope you had a good break Brett?, What is all this talk of fading enthusiasm?? We won't be hearing any of that on here thanks..

I am assuming, given you live in Sony's motherland, that the 55 & 65 A90J sets have been available in stores and online over there, and have been for quite some time?

Ours appear to be shipping from one of Saturn's moons.

Hope you had a good break Brett?, What is all this talk of fading enthusiasm?? We won't be hearing any of that on here thanks..

I am assuming, given you live in Sony's motherland, that the 55 & 65 A90J sets have been available in stores and online over there, and have been for quite some time?

Ours appear to be shipping from one of Saturn's moons.
Haha it was quite the pleasant break indeed thanks mate ! My most sincere apologies over the fading enthusiasm talk, blame @jmacc for tempting me to the dark side..

If the UK's stock is arriving from Saturns Moons, then I guess we in the land of the rising sun are getting ours from Kepler 1606. I won't be seeing an A90J or A80J in stores til July.
September if I want to see an 83" A90J.

Japan is known by many as a consumer electronics mecca since its the home of Sony, Panasonic etc but unfortunately for me it couldn't be further from the truth these days. Things may be designed here, but the rest of the world gets served well before the local consumers do when it comes to the household brand names. Eventually when we do get it, the prices are usually much higher as well.
The A90j 83" for example is 1.2k GBP more on preorder in Japan.

If you would like to give my enthusiasm a nice boost. Feel free to send an A90j over to me 😁 😁

Haha it was quite the pleasant break indeed thanks mate ! My most sincere apologies over the fading enthusiasm talk, blame @jmacc for tempting me to the dark side..

If the UK's stock is arriving from Saturns Moons, then I guess we in the land of the rising sun are getting ours from Kepler 1606. I won't be seeing an A90J or A80J in stores til July.
September if I want to see an 83" A90J.

Japan is known by many as a consumer electronics mecca since its the home of Sony, Panasonic etc but unfortunately for me it couldn't be further from the truth these days. Things may be designed here, but the rest of the world gets served well before the local consumers do when it comes to the household brand names. Eventually when we do get it, the prices are usually much higher as well.
The A90j 83" for example is 1.2k GBP more on preorder in Japan.

If you would like to give my enthusiasm a nice boost. Feel free to send an A90j over to me 😁 😁
Yeah, that @jmacc ... he's got a lot to answer for. :D

Glad to hear you had a good break, absolutely stunned to hear that the rest of the world (bar the UK) get first dibs on SONY electronics before the Japanese consumer? o_O And those prices too..!!!
The way things are going I'm actually gonna take a trip down my local bookies to see if I can place a substantial bet on the A90J's being available in Japan before the UK. I honestly do think that there will be even more delays to this set and next years A100K will be released before it. Been an utter shambles this years releases.

Vincent imported a set from the US, you could do the same :smashin:

The ongoing delays for the new Sony A90J for the U.K. is a strange one indeed. As I do know that a lot of Sony’s TV’s are assembled in Slovakia for the European market.
It could just be down to Brexit and the clowns 🤡 AKA (Conservatives) me thinks that is in some way (paper work, organisation, new import forms...etc) causing the hold up...:suicide:
Although I thought we had signed a like for like trade deal with Japan before leaving...
Could be December before I see my JZ1500 if Panasonic follows the same delays as Sony...:laugh:

Last edited:
The ongoing delays for the new Sony A90J for the U.K. is a strange one indeed. As I do know that a lot of Sony’s TV’s are assembled in Slovakia for the European market.
It could just be down to Brexit and the clowns 🤡 AKA (Conservatives) me thinks that is in some way (paper work, organisation, new import forms...etc) causing the hold up...:suicide:
Although I thought we had signed a like for like trade deal with Japan before leaving...
Could be December before I see my JZ1500 if Panasonic follows the same delays as Sony...:laugh:
Or perhaps it could be the EU, pursuing the same policy on TVs as they are on vaccines - whether they want them or not.

Or perhaps it could be the EU, pursuing the same policy on TVs as they are on vaccines - whether they want them or not.

:)

As far as I can find any new Sony oled TV's, only the 55 inch A90J is available here in The Netherlands. Rest of the A90J sizes and all of the A80J oleds only to be pre-ordered without obligation and no info on expected delivery date.

I only use a microfibre cloth i have Ecomist but never use it on the tv .. condensation from your breath and clean everyday.

:)

As far as I can find any new Sony oled TV's, only the 55 inch A90J is available here in The Netherlands. Rest of the A90J sizes and all of the A80J oleds only to be pre-ordered without obligation and no info on expected delivery date.
Yeah, I ordered the 55" from Hifi Klubben
They list no sooner than May 3rd for the 65"

At this rate..the tv will be discounted in the black Friday sales before it arrives!

#lostinthematrix

I'll be looking for a 65" OLED next year in the £1,500 range hopeful that by then there might be a reasonable amount of choice. If like a Panasonic but expecting them to still be out of my budget.

I'll be looking for a 65" OLED next year in the £1,500 range hopeful that by then there might be a reasonable amount of choice. If like a Panasonic but expecting them to still be out of my budget.
I think you'll be able to get one as the previous years models will plummet in price just before the release of the newer screens but be the 950 model rather than the 1000s 1500 or 2000 ones.. I'm hoping to pick up a 65inch hz from last yr or at least check in shops when they've been open for a bit but then its whether 65 is too big or not for my little den as I only sit 7 feet away from a 55inch ez952 currently... letterbox bar films make me want bigger but full screen gives me doubts..

I think you'll be able to get one as the previous years models will plummet in price just before the release of the newer screens but be the 950 model rather than the 1000s 1500 or 2000 ones.. I'm hoping to pick up a 65inch hz from last yr or at least check in shops when they've been open for a bit but then its whether 65 is too big or not for my little den as I only sit 7 feet away from a 55inch ez952 currently... letterbox bar films make me want bigger but full screen gives me doubts..

Apparently OLED manufacturing costs are set to halve in 2022 so I'm hoping some of that saving makes its way into our pockets!

7 feet is pretty close but as you say letterbox format reduced the screen size by a fair amount.

Apparently OLED manufacturing costs are set to halve in 2022 so I'm hoping some of that saving makes its way into our pockets!

7 feet is pretty close but as you say letterbox format reduced the screen size by a fair amount.
Any saving is good but I'm impatient... 4k movies are great but I also watch alot of standard 1080p bluray (90% films are horror)..which is fine but if it's a poor upgrade in pic quality it will really show on the 65 inch screen.... because my den is approx 12 feet long by 7 deep I have the seats length ways so 5 people can fit in but then wider away from the screen it could do with more size..however I sit more central to it and no way am I gutting it again.. I hear of people sitting a few feet away from 65 which seems crazy... and I dont want to be destroying my eyes but could do with the added brightness, both DV and hdr10 and improved motion.. sometimes getting the same size doesn't feel much of an upgrade..then again in our lounge the main sofa is 14 feet away from a 50inch kuro.. so seating distances vary massively...
How far will you be sitting from a 65inch TV if/when you get it..??

Any saving is good but I'm impatient... 4k movies are great but I also watch alot of standard 1080p bluray (90% films are horror)..which is fine but if it's a poor upgrade in pic quality it will really show on the 65 inch screen.... because my den is approx 12 feet long by 7 deep I have the seats length ways so 5 people can fit in but then wider away from the screen it could do with more size..however I sit more central to it and no way am I gutting it again.. I hear of people sitting a few feet away from 65 which seems crazy... and I dont want to be destroying my eyes but could do with the added brightness, both DV and hdr10 and improved motion.. sometimes getting the same size doesn't feel much of an upgrade..then again in our lounge the main sofa is 14 feet away from a 50inch kuro.. so seating distances vary massively...
I'm 8ft away from a 65", it's fine. From the medical point of view i'm not qualified to advise, but my optician tells me that it will cause no issues. If you are concerned, then take professional advice.

I'm 8ft away from a 65", it's fine. From the medical point of view i'm not qualified to advise, but my optician tells me that it will cause no issues. If you are concerned, then take professional advice.
Thanks... lol.... I dont need to go down that road thing is I cant move the chairs back any further as they are basically against the wall and bolted into the floor.. I guess 65 should be ok luckily I dont game but hear of people sitting 4 feet from 65... it's just when theres alot going on in a film it can be a bit mad.. but as long as not moving my head side to side it should be ok..

I'll be sitting about 9 feet away and would be happy to get a 70" if it would fit and I could justify the extra cost.

Thanks... lol.... I dont need to go down that road thing is I cant move the chairs back any further as they are basically against the wall and bolted into the floor.. I guess 65 should be ok luckily I dont game but hear of people sitting 4 feet from 65... it's just when theres alot going on in a film it can be a bit mad.. but as long as not moving my head side to side it should be ok..
Well, on a serious note, you did mention a concern re eye damage, which shouldn't be taken lightly. Just wanted to ensure that if it was a serious concern of yours or anyone else's that they take appropriate advice. :smashin:

Well, on a serious note, you did mention a concern re eye damage, which shouldn't be taken lightly. Just wanted to ensure that if it was a serious concern of yours or anyone else's that they take appropriate advice. :smashin:
Cheers mate... I do get migraine now and again to be honest.. but that's mainly due to the nature of my work (building trade) looking up ceilings etc long periods of time and past sports hobbies.. mainly stem from my neck area..
Regarding tvs did you just jump straight into a 65 or had smaller OLED prior..? If so is there any improvement on brightness with a larger screen more noticeable banding etc..??
Thanks

I'll be sitting about 9 feet away and would be happy to get a 70" if it would fit and I could justify the extra cost.
That would be pretty awesome... too big for my little den and Mrs would put a stop to that in the house.. but then again they mainly watch TV shows and soaps so be a waste

Cheers mate... I do get migraine now and again to be honest.. but that's mainly due to the nature of my work (building trade) looking up ceilings etc long periods of time and past sports hobbies.. mainly stem from my neck area..
Regarding tvs did you just jump straight into a 65 or had smaller OLED prior..? If so is there any improvement on brightness with a larger screen more noticeable banding etc..??
Thanks
I previously had a 60 inch Plasma, so the increase to 65" was minimal for me. Not had any issues with banding on mine.

That would be pretty awesome... too big for my little den and Mrs would put a stop to that in the house.. but then again they mainly watch TV shows and soaps so be a waste
I'm lucky as my wife is very easy going and enjoys films and hates soap operas! She was even ok with the SVS PB 1000 I just bought, "it's quite large" was the only comment. Have you thought of mocking up a 65" sized piece of cardboard and sitting in front of it to see how looks?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom