2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Verdict summary (my interpretation): Yes the G1 is brighter and has slightly better contrast, but in daily life most people won't notice this as the difference is not very big.

Very true, though I believe most will expect the outbound CX to perform similarly to the C1. So like me will be envisioning the CX in this comparison, which is CX £1519 vs G1 £2999.

At that price point - even against the improved G1 - the CX is still the one to buy. Once the CX stock has been depleted and it really comes down to C1 vs G1, then it’s a much tougher call.

Sure, you could say the G1 is only a marginal improvement but when that price difference is much tighter, I’d argue that the G1 slides into contention. As minor as the leap may be, the end goal is to get OLED as close as possible to 1000nits.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 950v OLED. Back then, banding in near black scenes was a big issue and people on this forum were obsessed with "slides".

Is near black banding still an issue with newer models?

I am trying to decide between the C1 and the CX. I was looking at the G1 but without a stand it seems a hassle when you consider the price difference between the C1.

But now I am looking at the C1 my eye is caught by the CX.

Am I right in thinking the main differences are simply the better image processor? Is there anything else the C1 adds?

The C1 also has game optimizer, has a couple of ms faster response time and is slightly brighter. Not sure if it's worth £500 more though.

The 48 inch (which is the only size I’m looking at) C1 appears to be about the same price as the CX, even though it’s only just been released. So I’ll probably be going for the C1 even if it’s a negligible upgrade.

I am trying to decide between the C1 and the CX. I was looking at the G1 but without a stand it seems a hassle when you consider the price difference between the C1.

But now I am looking at the C1 my eye is caught by the CX.

Am I right in thinking the main differences are simply the better image processor? Is there anything else the C1 adds?
I was looking at the 65’s yesterday. Crampton and Moore have the 65 CX for £1519 with discount code on the item page. I have John Lewis price matching this also.

The 65 C1 last I looked was £2499, so the CX is a hefty £980 cheaper (if you can get Richer Sounds to price-beat and knock off another £20, then you’d be looking at a straight £1K difference between the CX to C1).

We won’t really know the differences until a comparison surfaces - but new OS and remote aside, I wouldn’t expect any major differences unless moving up to the G1’s evo panel, which is currently at double the cost of the CX’s outgoing price.

Some other random comparisons:

QN vid

sony vs cx part 2 - Copy.jpg

Sony A90J vs LG CX - Copy.jpg

Another QN vid

c1 vs cx gaming - Copy.jpg

65C1 vs 65CX

Hmmm tempting. Only 1 year warranty through QVC, though :(

ahh didn't spot that, perhaps that is why its cheaper. A very long shot but email QVC and just ask since 1 year manufacturer is standard I am quite surprised they don't offer a 5 year warranty as standard.

Also another long shot.... try a john lewis price match and see if JL will price promise it that way you may then get same price with JL.

Checked that lot hotuk thread, guys already tried to price match RS but they said nope due to 5 year warranty, still its worth a try with JL and asking QVC.

Last edited:
Do you guys think I should do a comparison YT vid?

LG49UHV668V v's SonyXR65A90J

:D

I can't take seriously anyone called Caleb.

Sorry.

having read the last 20 pages of this thread. and noticed a few comment I was going comment on but decided wait till read all of it. Any ive been looking getting the Sony a90j or the Panasonic jz1500. Only having 2 2.1 hdmi connections not to bothered I use a onkyo receiver to switch between nvidia shield, bluray player and virgin and ps5 at moment.

Going forward the ps5 will be into the tv directly. So only need one other hdmi for avr. The only think had me is sony hasn't Kept its promises to give vrr to last years h900 ( I think) and its now said it could be winter 2021 for it to addnthis years and last year. But I know sony ps5 and the h900 has some sort vrr but it's not a full vrr so they don't say it's there.

I was going order from JL but when came to order they had ran out but managed get one from sony center in Carlisle 65". They are going do same as JL and if I get screen burn or the screen dirty they going replace it. I've been told it's going be delivered middle April. If the Panasonic jz1500 is alot less priced I may switch. But tbh from what ive been seeing the sony is a dam good TV. I've had a Samsung for last 2 year and I'm sick of the blooming the bad blacks and other crap.

I'm just wondering if people think Panasonic are more likely to get vrr out over sony? The input lag on the Panasonic is alot less sony is about 16ms. Panasonic 2.1ms. My tv is about 40 or more lol.

Edit
I've also been thinking of get the tv calibrated. Has anyone had this done on previous tvs? Or done it them self. I'm thinking of doing it my self could get camera from amazon already got a few discs and files. But think of buying spears and munsil disc.

I've also bought a groove light system any one used one of these. It's the latest model from US. Has anyone used one?

Amazon product ASIN B08LVPWQQP

Last edited:
having read the last 20 pages of this thread. and noticed a few comment I was going comment on but decided wait till read all of it. Any ive been looking getting the Sony a90j or the Panasonic jz1500. Only having 2 2.1 hdmi connections not to bothered I use a onkyo receiver to switch between nvidia shield, bluray player and virgin and ps5 at moment.

Going forward the ps5 will be into the tv directly. So only need one other hdmi for avr. The only think had me is sony hasn't Kept its promises to give vrr to last years h900 ( I think) and its now said it could be winter 2021 for it to addnthis years and last year. But I know sony ps5 and the h900 has some sort vrr but it's not a full vrr so they don't say it's there.

I was going order from JL but when came to order they had ran out but managed get one from sony center in Carlisle 65". They are going do same as JL and if I get screen burn or the screen dirty they going replace it. I've been told it's going be delivered middle April. If the Panasonic jz1500 is alot less priced I may switch. But tbh from what ive been seeing the sony is a dam good TV. I've had a Samsung for last 2 year and I'm sick of the blooming the bad blacks and other crap.

I'm just wondering if people think Panasonic are more likely to get vrr out over sony? The input lag on the Panasonic is alot less sony is about 16ms. Panasonic 2.1ms. My tv is about 40 or more lol.

Edit
I've also been thinking of get the tv calibrated. Has anyone had this done on previous tvs? Or done it them self. I'm thinking of doing it my self could get camera from amazon already got a few discs and files. But think of buying spears and munsil disc.

I've also bought a groove light system any one used one of these. It's the latest model from US. Has anyone used one?

Amazon product ASIN B08LVPWQQP
I believe the 2021 Panasonic’s are launching with VRR support, though there is a minor gripe where the output resolution is reduced. A firmware update is said to be in the works for release later. If that’s a purchasing factor for you, it may be better to wait until that’s released.

As for Panasonic’s 2.5ms input lag, while this is impressive - we don’t yet know if this will be identical across their range. I believe the TV that Panasonic were demonstrating this on was from their LCD range.

As for pricing, I think last year’s 65 HZ2000 launched around £4300, so I’d assume dropping the fancy Atmos speaker system may shave off upto £800 - if we’re lucky.

I’d expect the JZ1500 to launch around £3500, with some potential wiggle room as they have a heatsink rival this year, in the form of the Sony A90J. The Sony will get much more word of mouth across the web due to their US presence, which I think may back Panasonic into a corner to make their offering stand out greater - and the only option I can see for them, is a lower price point.

Any sites selling the feet/stand for the LG G1 yet?

Ratings.com gives a 8.9 out of 10 rating for HDR movies and HDR gaming for their review of the A90J.

The difference between 8.9 and 10 isn't that great and so most people are going to be completely satisfied with the HDR experience of a A90J.

The AH8 gets a 8.9 for HDR movies and a 8.7 for HDR gaming. The A9S gets a 8.8 for HDR movies and a 8.7 for HDR gaming. An 8.7 for HDR viewing is a fantastic viewing experience. The brightness of a A9S and A8H OLED TVs gives an excellent HDR viewing experience and so most people aren't going to notice a significant difference in viewing experience with the A90Js increased brightness.

To compare with LEDs the QN90A gets a 8.6 for HDR movies and a 8.8 for HDR gaming. The HDR qualities of OLEDs are equivalent to the very bright LEDs.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

B the installer says he will be getting setting up the C1 against the CX end of this week and testing it out for a week to see if there are any differences

Ratings.com gives a 8.9 out of 10 rating for HDR movies and HDR gaming for their review of the A90J.

The difference between 8.9 and 10 isn't that great and so most people are going to be completely satisfied with the HDR experience of a A90J.

The A90S gets a 8.8 for HDR movies and a 8.7 for HDR gaming. An 8.7 for HDR viewing is a fantastic viewing experience. The brightness of a A90S OLED TVs gives an excellent HDR viewing experience and so most people aren't going to notice a significant difference in viewing experience with the A90Js increased brightness.

To compare with LEDs the QN90A gets a 8.6 for HDR movies and a 8.8 for HDR gaming. The HDR qualities of OLEDs are equivalent to the very bright LEDs.
Sorry mate, you lost me @ A90S ...? Are we comparing against a Samsung phone here?

Sorry mate, you lost me @ A90S ...? Are we comparing against a Samsung phone here?
Should have been A9S.

The AH8 gets a 8.9 for HDR movies and a 8.7 for HDR gaming. The A9S gets a 8.8 for HDR movies and a 8.7 for HDR gaming. An 8.7 for HDR viewing is a fantastic viewing experience. The brightness of a A9S and A8H OLED TVs gives an excellent HDR viewing experience and so most people aren't going to notice a significant difference in viewing experience with the A90Js increased brightness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom