2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

well now that Vincent from HDTVTest has said Samsung will launch QD OLED next year and we know LG also will have these panels. So this EVO panels this year might not be as big step as as QD OLED.

Problem now is either you buy a TV this year and unless you can afford another OLED in 12 months or you skip 2021 and wait for next year. lol
It's Hilarious, QD OLED best of both worlds without burn in. I don't know if I can wait till spring of 2022 lol.

It's Hilarious, QD OLED best of both worlds without burn in. I don't know if I can wait till spring of 2022 lol.
Chance of burn in is reduced but not gone.. People are forgetting Samsung showed off their QD-OLED behind closed doors last year and it was average at best . Alot of complaints over brightness.

Chance of burn in is reduced but not gone.. People are forgetting Samsung showed off their QD-OLED behind closed doors last year and it was average at best . Alot of complaints over brightness.
And being Samsung it will cost an absolute fortune, no Dolby vision and 1 x hdmi 2.1 :rolleyes:o_O:laugh:

Scary times for me this next few months.
The TV's in my house have never cost more than £500.00 a pop, Mostly only ever bought mid-low range LCD TV's (Young kids about at the time = Too risky). The last 3 being LG's that were previous year models when bought, the largest being a 49" Smart 4K job in Dec 2016.
Now the kids are a bit older, looking at making the big step up to something much more premium in terms of a new set for my office / man cave, £3k+ (65" A90J) is gonna be a big investment.

I'm not one of these people who gets a TV straight out of the box and immediately starts looking for imperfections, however for the money we're looking at paying for these premium sets, I sure hope that there is nothing glaringly obviously wrong with it when viewing and spoiling the experience of a nice pricey new toy.

And being Samsung it will cost an absolute fortune, no Dolby vision and 1 x hdmi 2.1 :rolleyes:o_O:laugh:
LG Display also developing QD OLED Tech but yeah I wont buy a Samsung OLED.

If you waited for the next best thing, you would never buy anything...the panels from Sony and LG are a step up as there new panels that are brighter..the Sony has a heatsink, and a new type panel ( and 48 gig hdmi 2.1 ports...watching the fomo stream with value electronics which was great on Saturday answers loads of questions on the Sony line ups, official price reveal I think is valentines day for the USA market.. i did see @jmacc there too !!!

Plus they are getting an exclusive 100"

Samsung is a non starter without dolby vision for me

Last edited:
Hmm you got a source for this?. I have heard zero on LG display working on QD-OLED. Its Samsungs tech to my knowledge.

They wont call it QD OLED to make it different to Samsung

They wont call it QD OLED to make it different to Samsung

Are you sure this the source? If so I think you might be confused. This has nothing to do with LG working on qd-oled tech mate. True QNED is a totally different beast using gallium nitride nano rods and is also Samsung Display tech not LG. LG tried to pinch trademarks to the QNED name for their 2021 mini LED line.

Are you sure this the source? If so I think you might be confused. This has nothing to do with LG working on qd-oled tech mate. True QNED is a totally different beast using gallium nitride nano rods and is also Samsung Display tech not LG. LG tried to pinch trademarks to the QNED name for their 2021 mini LED line.
maybe I got confused then lol

A good video but, the guy seems a little short on overall information surrounding OLED, depending on whom you believe.

For example, we've already heard about the new green layer and heatsink but, although this guy mentions the inefficient blue layer, he's not aware that LGD have used a new material for the blue layer, on the Evo panels (and A90J). Thus increasing its efficiency.

My only question at this stage is, given the red and blue layers will need to balance the new (brighter) green layer, how are they going to do that? Presumably, the red layer is no more efficient and although the blue layer is more efficient, with the new material used, I can't believe it's that much more efficient to balance an entirely new green layer. I wonder if the red and blue sub pixels will be bigger on these panels?!

Paul

i dislike his videos
he always been anti LG
in the video he mentioned LG only being vertical for OLED but then the guy said no they also make LCDs

Last edited:
Are there any UK release dates for the new Sony/LG OLEDs?

Read there's 2 different versions coming, one with a better panel. Looking to replace my 55" Sony A1 with a 65" one. Read they both have HDMI 2.1, VRR etc, so guessing they're going to be pretty similar other than price/appearance?

My local independent retailer has an online presentation of this years new models from several brands i believe next week.
Hopefully this means we will be close to seeing prices and release dates.

Keeping an open mind but leaning toward the A90 then next the JZ2000.
Having owned the GZ2000 i know how good the Panasonic is but currently really liking my XH9505. Just something about the Sony colours and processing that just works.

My local independent retailer has an online presentation of this years new models from several brands i believe next week.
Hopefully this means we will be close to seeing prices and release dates.

Keeping an open mind but leaning toward the A90 then next the JZ2000.
Having owned the GZ2000 i know how good the Panasonic is but currently really liking my XH9505. Just something about the Sony colours and processing that just works.

That is good news, maybe end of march might see some popping up then. Any info if your retailer presenter has the LG C1/G1s Oleds in ?

Some more info on the JZ2000. From the sound of things, the changes could be more substantial than what was originally reported. Seems to be coming directly from Panasonic:

Asakura "GZ" and "HZ" talked about manufacturing panels using their own heat-dissipating plates at the Utsunomiya Plant. The same is true for this "JZ" series, and is it okay to understand that we have added something new?

Toyoshima The "GZ" and "HZ" have the same structure, and have evolved in the direction of making full use of the panels made at the Utsunomiya Factory. The "JZ" has a completely new panel structure.

Asakura The most distinctive feature of the "GZ" and "HZ" series is the evolution of the heat dissipation plate, and the structure of the entire panel has not changed. Does this mean that you have evolved the whole, including the whole structure?

Toyoshima You are right. A certain amount of power is required to achieve high peak brightness and rich gradation expression. Naturally, the problem of heat dissipation arises, so we have evolved it as a more efficient panel.

Asakura To put it simply, what are the changes?

Toyoshima The panel has a part that emits light as an organic EL and a part that is responsible for the heat dissipation effect, but we are reviewing it from the structure of how to combine them. Even if the same current and power are applied, the heat dissipation effect is different in the first place, so the panel can be made brighter.

Last edited:
Some more info on the JZ2000. From the sound of things, the changes could be more substantial than what was originally reported. Seems to be coming directly from Panasonic:

Yes, it seems Mr Teoh has now confirmed the JZ2000 will use the same panel as the G1 and A90J. Would have been daft for Panasonic to do anything else, considering they pioneered the heatsink and power supply improvements, LG and Sony will now be using.

That being the case, for me, the JZ2000 is now the one to watch.

Paul

Yes, it seems Mr Teoh has now confirmed the JZ2000 will use the same panel as the G1 and A90J. Would have been daft for Panasonic to do anything else, considering they pioneered the heatsink and power supply improvements, LG and Sony will now be using.

Paul
Amazing they never talked about using a new panel at ces, a missed opportunity considering it's a big sales and marketing event.

has it actually been confirmed that Sony are using the new panel?

Certainly piqued my interest... Although the stand and bezel are a tad ugly!

So these TV's that appear to auto-detect what you're viewing (Sport/Film etc) including the conditions you're viewing them (light/ambient/dark), is this going to negate the need for calibrating these units? If so, surely the calibration guys can't be best please about this tech?

Certainly piqued my interest... Although the stand and bezel are a tad ugly!

So these TV's that appear to auto-detect what you're viewing (Sport/Film etc) including the conditions you're viewing them (light/ambient/dark), is this going to negate the need for calibrating these units? If so, surely the calibration guys can't be best please about this tech?
It will most likely just be another thing to instantly turn off like ambient light detector etc.

Paul
Theres no heatsink in the G1 according to Stop the fomo

We have had the official prices for the A90J for the USA, do we know when they drop for the UK?

Last edited:

Paul

It's definitely on my watch list now with the A90J, but I feel like it's only the near-black performance that has put it there, assuming the panels/heatsinks perform similarly otherwise.

Sony will be cheaper, more retailers stock it so discounts should be more readily available, better OS/UI with better app support and more attractive, so the Panasonic is going to have to be a noticeably (not necessarily "significantly") better movie TV for me to consider it seriously. The superior near-black performance is a good thing though, which is why it's not going to be an easy decision. I imagine both should be pretty accurate ootb.

Amazing they never talked about using a new panel at ces, a missed opportunity considering it's a big sales and marketing event.

has it actually been confirmed that Sony are using the new panel?
Hate to say it, but it calls into question what on earth was going on with the AVF article concerning the JZ2000, because it paints a very different picture to the article above, which clearly says they're using a new panel. Quite a bit different to, "well, we know OLED has reached its limits, so there's not really anything new this year apart from the AI processor" .... nah, just a new revised panel stack structure, nothing worth mentioning :rolleyes::rotfl:

Yeah RZ said so :smoke::D:rotfl: Vinnie still seems to think so too, so I'll assume it is for now.

Last edited:

2021 Sony A90J 55 inch. Brighter and Sharper​

2021 Sony A90J picture settings from menu​

2021 Sony 55inch A90J partial un boxing. Bestbuy Atlanta.​

Sony 2021 A90J remote and Demo. Bestbuy​

Last edited:
Info slowly trickling in...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom