2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Tbh I don't know where Vincent's getting the impression Panasonic are using the new panel.

If you watch his latest video on the new LGD W-RGB OLED panels, he very much does think the Panasonic will use the same panel as the G1 and A90J.

In case you've not seen the video, the new efficiencies come from a new (additional) green layer (Green EML Dopant/Host on the graphic) and a change in the material used for the blue layers (Blue EML Dpoant/Host on the graphic). The latter will now be using Deuterium (heavy hydrogen), as opposed to hydrogen used previously. This along with the metallic heat sink should boost peak brightness not just in white but, also overall colour volume. It's the latter that's important.

I found the graphic below, on the web. ;)

2020 Evo OLED composition.PNG

Paul

If you watch his latest video on the new LGD W-RGB panels, he very much does think the Panasonic will use the same panel as the G1 and A90J.

Paul
He thinks it but it's speculation, nowhere does Panasonic mention anything about It.
Surely if they were using a new panel they would be shouting out about it as it's a pretty major selling point.. as seen from the LG with the G1.
I can't see Panasonic changing anything this year tbh, same old panel and heat sync.

He thinks it but it's speculation, nowhere does Panasonic mention anything about It.
Surely if they were using a new panel they would be shouting out about it as it's a pretty major selling point.. as seen from the LG with the G1.
I can't see Panasonic changing anything this year tbh, same old panel and heat sync.
As with all these things, we'll have to wait and see.

We're all speculating on how good these new OLED panels will turn out to be. It wouldn't be the first time something's promised and what's delivered doesn't live up to that promise. But I live in hope.

Paul

As with all these things, we'll have to wait and see.

We're all speculating on how good these new OLED panels will turn out to be. It wouldn't be the first time something's promised and what's delivered doesn't live up to that promise. But I live in hope.

Paul
Any improvement is good, this year certainly looks to have bigger than normal updates in the world of oled once you peal away the manufacturers hype.

specs of the 55 and 65 A90J on Sony.com.
Power appears to be roughly 20% less consumption from last year, could that mean the new panel that is 20% more efficient? :D

A90J
ANNUAL ENERGY CONSUMPTION* :
  • 185 kWh per year (55")
  • 228 kWh per year (65")
A9G
ANNUAL ENERGY CONSUMPTION* :
  • 233 kWh per year (55")
  • 280 kWh per year (65")

also dimensions there for the guys worrying about will this tv fit..

i am interested in the measurements of the 83" lol

Oh my gosh, is it true that the A90J in 55 and 65 inch won't have a proper three way stand option to allow the tv to rest on narrow tv stands/shelves? That's crazy. I hope there will be some alternative way other I'll have to get the A80J based on that alone as my screens tend to go beyond the edge of the stand and my setup where this tv would go has no room for a larger stand.

Oh my gosh, is it true that the A90J in 55 and 65 inch won't have a proper three way stand option to allow the tv to rest on narrow tv stands/shelves? That's crazy. I hope there will be some alternative way other I'll have to get the A80J based on that alone as my screens tend to go beyond the edge of the stand and my setup where this tv would go has no room for a larger stand.
Mind there is lots of options about for "table vesa mounts", Some to suit every budget.
Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 20.34.57.png

Thanks. I just learned of these. Great way to resolve the issue.
I've got a similar problem. I currently have a 75" and can only go to 77" max. If I want the brighter OLED screen then I only have one choice - the G1. Then I have the stand issue. I've been looking at all the stands I could use and there are very few options available to me. It needs to sit on a narrow cabinet (in a corner) and go above a KEF centre speaker (which I can finally mount centre to the tv).

I've sent off for this

1612430633421.png

It's a cheap stand which I may have to modify as the max height is possibly too low. I'm going to try fitting it to my current 75" and see how it fares. That way I've just wasted £21 instead of 6K on the G1.

Yep, it's all speculation at the moment. However, I would be surprised if Panasonic are not using the new panel, if only to prevent Sony and LG stuffing them over on sales this year.

Yep, it's all speculation at the moment. However, I would be surprised if Panasonic are not using the new panel, if only to prevent Sony and LG stuffing them over on sales this year.
If they are using it and also concerned about getting stuffed over with sales then they really need to get their advertising department sorted :D
I just can't see them using it and not making a big fuss about it.

7999 for the 83 c1 :eek::eek:.. If true Sony will no doubt revise their price for the 83"...

7999 for the 83 c1 :eek::eek:.. If true Sony will no doubt revise their price for the 83"...

Seems a tad pricey for the base spec model. same price jump as going from 65" to 77", but only 6" increase not 12". And I know price gaps do increase as you go to larger TVs, but ultimately the 77s/83s are cut from the same glass, you can't create more TVs if you go with the 77s instead, there's just less wasted glass with 83s, so while there is always likely to be a price premium, that would seem excessive to me. I think even an A90J at £8000 is probably pushing the limits, but then with Samsung's daft pricing, who's to say.

Last edited:
Seems a tad pricey for the base spec model. same price jump as going from 65" to 77", but only 6" increase not 12". And I know price gaps do increase as you go to larger TVs, but ultimately the 77s/83s are cut from the same glass, you can't create more TVs if you go with the 77s instead, there's just less wasted glass with 83s, so while there is always likely to be a price premium, that would seem excessive to me. I think even an A90J at £8000 is probably pushing the limits, but then with Samsung's daft pricing, who's to say.
£8k for a standard panel c1 is crazy prices.
The G1 evo 77 for £6499 looks good though, Look forward to seeing how bright it is compared to the sony. but not the panny with old panel :smoke:

But without the new panel.....

But without the new panel.....
Maybe, maybe not, Right now it look's likely that if any other tv manufacturer has the new panel it's the Sony with the A90J.
Why would Panasonic not advertise the panel been a newer one that they can boost RGB and not just W on?
All speculation off course.

Maybe, maybe not, Right now it look's likely that if any other tv manufacturer has the new panel it's the Sony with the A90J.
Why would Panasonic not advertise the panel been a newer one that they can boost RGB and not just W on?
All speculation off course.
No, I was referring to the C1.

No, I was referring to the C1.
The c1 price seems crazy high doesn't it?
Especially IF sony does have the new panel and the price is also £8k..
But we do know the a90j at least does have the heat sync.

We'd better watch out that the EU don't try and nick our TVs now as well..........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom