2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

JZ1000 (tba) or A80J will most likely be your best bet, and both should be under £2000 at BF. You can switch BFI on for SDR content without impacting brightness, and flicker should not be visible at the lowest setting. IIRC, Panasonic's implementation was the best for 2020. With no motion/BFI settings turned on, they should perform identically really; both use the same 120hz panels, so 24p content can be refreshed 5 times per frame without introducing any stutters.
I would probably turn any motion trickery off I always hated "intelligent" frame creation on my plasmas, I can see the unnatural motion straight away. I'm sure Vincent Teoh did a test that showed better motion on the panasonic even with everything turned off.

So in theory the Pana and Sony you mention this year should be on par with LG for gaming too, but potentially better for film?

I would probably turn any motion trickery off I always hated "intelligent" frame creation on my plasmas, I can see the unnatural motion straight away. I'm sure Vincent Teoh did a test that showed better motion on the panasonic even with everything turned off.

So in theory the Pana and Sony you mention this year should be on par with LG for gaming too, but potentially better for film?

The LG will probably still be the better "gamer" TV, given it has 4x HDMI 2.1 Ports (Sony only has 2, Panny TBA) and full Freesync/G-Sync support, maybe more support for non-standard resolutions (QHD) but as both the Panasonic and Sony will support VRR/ALLM/eARC/4K120, then they'll both be great for games on either a PC or console, and still almost certainly better for films, so they'd be my first choices. But then I'm keeping an eye on the G1 too.

I think the G1 might be out of my budget. We'll see I guess. that tripod stand is gross too.

For games it would literally only be an xbox so ports isn't a dealbreaker as it leaves a spare for ps5 if needed. Gsync and freesync are just branded VRR anyway I think.

Would have liked to see LG include an 48" in the G1 series, but guess they are going to market or pitch the 42" as an oled gaming panel to cash in directly on gamers.

Doesn't Sony use 4:4 Pulldown with 96 hz?

Sony always seems smoother when Motion was turned off then Panasonic and LG

@clydebest
probably best to ask about the 2021 A90J in here.. the ag9 boys get very defensive when you talk about new models :D :D :smoke: :smoke: :D:D

Mr Macc you are doing a fine job... of making me keep my purse tightly closed .. when will the 83 inch be bought at launch or Black Friday-ish.

I will certainly wait for some price drops, may not be able to hold out that long but I'll try my best :love:

Just look at this @clydebest what a thing of beauty :love: :love: :love: :love:

a90j-4k-oled-tv-hdmit-2-1-sony_2.jpg

Posted in each 2020 tv forum as no idea what to pick. But now thinking should I wait for these , 2020 tv compared to 2019 the difference was minimal but can’t help but think these 2021 ones will see a bigger jump in picture quality, unless each yr is barely any different.

@clydebest
probably best to ask about the 2021 A90J in here.. the ag9 boys get very defensive when you talk about new models :D :D :smoke: :smoke: :D:D

I will certainly wait for some price drops, may not be able to hold out that long but I'll try my best :love:
Is someone slagging off the AG9? Right that’s it, square go's outside! :laugh:

Philips have their launch event today, although details have already been revealed. The 65OLED856 looks like it ticks a lot of boxes (HDMI 2.1/Dolby Vision/HDR10+/all apps etc), will be keeping on eye on this one.

A90J, 1300 nits on 10 % window...Will be interesting to see this in action , that likely means it can hit 1000 nits in reality under normal calibrated viewing conditions

Last edited:
Posted in each 2020 tv forum as no idea what to pick. But now thinking should I wait for these , 2020 tv compared to 2019 the difference was minimal but can’t help but think these 2021 ones will see a bigger jump in picture quality, unless each yr is barely any different.

I think that is the key question with these 2021 OLEDS, they certainly have more buzz with them this year since some of the higher end models claim to actually improve picture quality while the others were just yearly almost rehashes with the usual bells and whistle improvements.

Guess reviews this spring/summer and hopefully people will be doing A/B comparisons so will find out soon enough.

I still reckon it maybe a bit of the ole marketing spin :laugh:

If panny are using the new panel, would that put them back in the race for you @SimonST ?

Tbh I don't know where Vincent's getting the impression Panasonic are using the new panel.

panny.png

Doesn't sound to me like anything different to what the HZ2000 offered over the competition?

The only mentions of "new" refer to the AI processor and the UI/OS updates.

AVF article also seemed to suggest Panasonic are saying they've reached the peak of what was possible with OLED technology, which completely contradicts what all this information on the G1/A90J has shown, which is arguably the biggest improvement to OLED since it introduced 4K HDR.

Also need to remember Panasonic have been dropping out of big markets as the year(s) have passed. They're not even operating in the USA (Those sets being sold by Value Electronics are just a limited batch of stock originally intended for TV/Film studios), which is a huge market, and they still don't offer any 77/83" OLEDs, I'm sceptical whether they'll even be around for much longer.

But to answer your question... It's a tough one... Panasonic does have the near-black handling nailed, and that is important to me. But I'd really need to care about that to put it over the A90J given what a great all-round package that is going to be. The Panny looks ugly af on that circular stand and it's still got that awful UI, plus I'm paying for that atmos speaker setup that I don't need/want. And Panasonic are crap for local file playback, can at least get around some of the limits with something like Kodi on Google TV.

As I said somewhere else, if Panasonic are using the new panel, they're doing a really lousy job advertising that fact.

Tbh I don't know where Vincent's getting the impression Panasonic are using the new panel.

View attachment 1452627

Doesn't sound to me like anything different to what the HZ2000 offered over the competition?

The only mentions of "new" refer to the AI processor and the UI/OS updates.

AVF article also seemed to suggest Panasonic are saying they've reached the peak of what was possible with OLED technology, which completely contradicts what all this information on the G1/A90J has shown, which is arguably the biggest improvement to OLED since it introduced 4K HDR.

Also need to remember Panasonic have been dropping out of big markets as the year(s) have passed. They're not even operating in the USA (Those sets being sold by Value Electronics are just a limited batch of stock originally intended for TV/Film studios), which is a huge market, and they still don't offer any 77/83" OLEDs, I'm sceptical whether they'll even be around for much longer.

But to answer your question... It's a tough one... Panasonic does have the near-black handling nailed, and that is important to me. But I'd really need to care about that to put it over the A90J given what a great all-round package that is going to be. The Panny looks ugly af on that circular stand and it's still got that awful UI, plus I'm paying for that atmos speaker setup that I don't need/want. And Panasonic are crap for local file playback, can at least get around some of the limits with something like Kodi on Google TV.

As I said somewhere else, if Panasonic are using the new panel, they're doing a really lousy job advertising that fact.
That will be a no then.

edit.. and dam that is one ugly stand :rotfl:

I upgraded from a 65E6 to a 77GX a few months ago. Other than the GX being brighter and better at gaming I could honestly say the picture difference between the two isn’t night and day. I had to turn the OLED light down to 50 on the GX as it’s too bright any higher. G1 sounds good but couldn’t justify waiting another year for the prices to tumble as my E6 developed some screen burn.

Can’t get my head round the logic that someone who has a CX feels they need to upgrade to a C1. You’ll be upgrading every year for very little.

I upgraded from a 65E6 to a 77GX a few months ago. Other than the GX being brighter and better at gaming I could honestly say the picture difference between the two isn’t night and day. I had to turn the OLED light down to 50 on the GX as it’s too bright any higher. G1 sounds good but couldn’t justify waiting another year for the prices to tumble as my E6 developed some screen burn.

Can’t get my head round the logic that someone who has a CX feels they need to upgrade to a C1. You’ll be upgrading every year for very little.
So it's not night and day, but there is a noticeable difference? What exactly is different? Am thinking about the same upgrade (but probably a CX instead of a GX).

So it's not night and day, but there is a noticeable difference? What exactly is different? Am thinking about the same upgrade (but probably a CX instead of a GX).
🤣🤣. It does sound odd reading it back. In terms of image quality, I can’t really see anything noticeable, slightly better shadow detail but unless side by side you probably wouldn’t know. Playing the Xbox on it does feel more responsive, hard to say how, but I don’t die anywhere near as much on COD. Main differences is brighter in HDR in peak highlights.
Gradation between colour is also a big improvement.
Depends what bothers you on your current tv. I still have the E6 upstairs and still is a gorgeous picture.
Also the main thing, I suspect this will be a lot less prone to burn in.

Not owned a 2016 panel but have read the newer 2019/2020 oleds have improved brightness, shadow details, better black level control and less artefacts like polarization (scenes coming out from blacks to whites and vice versa).

Its probably not something that would immediately stand out id imagine since much of it is software and processing fixes, gaming you get much better response/speed.

Another thing the newer 2019/2020+ oleds have is much more improved anti burn in protection software support, LG threw the kitchen sink at the issue and have lots and lots of stuff going on to prevent it now then say back in 2016-2018.

Good to know, thanks to both of you. My E6 has the Destiny 2 UI burnt in 😬 don't want that to happen again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom